PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you?

Trevors Lawn Care
07-22-2004, 04:37 PM
How long did it take your business to reach certain goals...IE. Second year=100k, year 5=200k.

I am in year one and we will gross ABOUT 30-35k depending on leaves. I have been thinking of next year and the years to come, and what reasonable goals will be.

Next year we are shooting for 75k gross.

SO HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOUR BUSINESS TO REACH A CERTIAN LEVEL?

Trevor

Mark McC
07-22-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm in a similar situation, wondering what I'll be able to do next year, but I'm reluctant to discuss specific income levels on this board.

Would you care to discuss numbers of clients, how much more you might average per yard over your current average and so on? That's easier to discuss here.

rodfather
07-22-2004, 05:54 PM
It took me about 5 years to get my business to the point of where I am comfortable doing it full time and not worried about money. I have 5 full time employees as well.

Trevors Lawn Care
07-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
It took me about 5 years to get my business to the point of where I am comfortable doing it full time and not worried about money. I have 5 full time employees as well.

i am hoping that after 5 years the need for owner involvement will be slim. My older brother will have the reigns and take it from there.

right now i am at 48 weekly lawn accounts. I would like to take that at least to 100 by next season.

Third year i am looking to add an additional crew and expand into another city or two. That would be myself and a man on one crerw, and my brother and a man on another crew.

AFTER THE THIRD YEAR I AM REALLY AT A LOSS ON WHERE I CAN GO.
\
I know i want to add a fertilizing side..

Trevor

specialtylc
07-22-2004, 10:11 PM
It took me and my partner 2 years of parttime until we got enough large accounts to be fulltime business. By the 5th year we were at 300K gross.

CSRA Landscaping
07-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Seemed to explode after year three. Entering our fourth year at about $220k or so, for a conservative estimate. We could do more, it's just making the time to do it! We're going to take on about $80k more per year's worth of work and shut the door to new customers ... I have no desire to put together another crew!

GarPA
07-23-2004, 04:51 AM
year 1 = painful...slow to grow the revenue
year 2 = things started to fall into place..
year 3 = things really took off...had to scramble to keep up with the work ..turned down more work than we accepted..added another full time empoyee
year 4 (next season) = will add one more full timer with full benefits in order to keep them year round. The revenue for year 4 will likley be the highest reveune we will ever seek. I've seen many a small business go under when they got bigger than they needed to be and could not continue to deliver the level of service that made the business successful in the first place. Bigger is not always better...at least in my opinion. For me, the numbers that matter are,...1. how much am I making to reinvest in the business? and 2....what is my income from the business? If a smaller size satisfies both 1 and 2, then I dont care to grow beyond that and add all the hassles that go along with getting bigger. I still find that the #1 problem in this industry is finding and KEEPING hard working, competent empoyees.

sorry I dont have numbers for you but as mentioned above, I also dont care to share revenue numbers on this board.

CSRA Landscaping
07-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Excellent post! I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Expert Lawns
07-23-2004, 10:38 PM
wow you guys are posting some big numbers up there.

someday, someday

CamLand
07-23-2004, 10:44 PM
took 3 years to explode,had more work then we could handle but somehow got it all covered.now i'm settling business down some,being more pickie and closing in on retirement...