PDA

View Full Version : when striping, does it matter??


BryPaulD
07-22-2004, 04:45 PM
I have a Honda Harmony 215 SX push mower and just bought a rolling striper for it. I also just bought a new set of mulching blades for it. When I bought the blades I saw that they had mulchinh blades and bagging blades. Does it matter which blade/s I use when I go to stripe my lawn?? Thank you :)

BryPaulD
07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
*striping roller* :o

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 04:56 PM
With the roller it should not matter. But i have found the lowest lift gave the best stripe.
John

BryPaulD
07-22-2004, 05:01 PM
those are very nice ones John. Well defined. What do you mean by lowest lift?

Mark McC
07-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
i have found the lowest lift gave the best stripe.
John

That's really interesting. Is it because the draught from high lift blades pulls the grass up?

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Mark McC
That's really interesting. Is it because the draught from high lift blades pulls the grass up?

I think so! BUT i have heard that the meg-mo blades have given a better stripe on other mowers, members have said and they are very high lift. try different combos and see what works best for you.

John

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by BryPaulD
those are very nice ones John. Well defined. What do you mean by lowest lift?

A bagging blades will be a high lift and a mulching blade will be a low lift or they make a low lift blade if you look in the catalogs.

I think i got a great stripe with the rapter blades. they are a mulching blade that you can side discharge with.

Fareway Lawncare
07-22-2004, 07:43 PM
How could Low Lift Blades possibly work Better...In order to Stripe the Grass it must be Lifted before it is Pushed Down! You Need High Lift Blades which is why Meg-mos and doubles produce the best Stripes....

fcl01
07-22-2004, 08:54 PM
I honestly think that blades contribute very little to the striping

DLCS
07-22-2004, 09:24 PM
I can definately tell a difference between the standard JD highlifts and the meg Mo blades. Meg Mos give me the best stripes with the 7 iron deck. I'm sure the type of deck has lots to do with it.

iluvbermuda
07-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by fcl01
I honestly think that blades contribute very little to the striping

I agree as well.

BryPaulD
07-22-2004, 09:42 PM
I don't know what I have. I just bought a honda blade that said mulching on the side of the box, instead of the one that said bagging, figuring I mulch 3 cuts and bag one. So if I pulled the mulch plug out I thought the scraps may fly into the bag?? Maybe not? But any way, I got home and changed the blade, Pulled old very dull one of and the new one had 2 blades in the box. Is that what doubles are?

Expert Lawns
07-22-2004, 09:54 PM
all stock here, but I think it has to do with deck pitch

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
How could Low Lift Blades possibly work Better...In order to Stripe the Grass it must be Lifted before it is Pushed Down! You Need High Lift Blades which is why Meg-mos and doubles produce the best Stripes....

Only on some decks. The older decks the lower lift would knock the grass over after cutting it.
John

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
all stock here, but I think it has to do with deck pitch

Do you run a roller??
John

BryPaulD
07-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by BryPaulD
I don't know what I have. I just bought a honda blade that said mulching on the side of the box, instead of the one that said bagging, figuring I mulch 3 cuts and bag one. So if I pulled the mulch plug out I thought the scraps may fly into the bag?? Maybe not? But any way, I got home and changed the blade, Pulled old very dull one of and the new one had 2 blades in the box. Is that what doubles are?


Well?

MWE
07-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
all stock here, but I think it has to do with deck pitch

how would you suggest to pitch the deck? how do you have yours pitched?

Expert Lawns
07-23-2004, 10:10 PM
John, it's all stock no roller.

MWE, all I know is that the front of the deck is about 1/4 or 1/8 lower than the rear. You may want to ask around or do a search on deck pitch. I had my dealer do it for me when I bought it and it's been like that ever since.

John Gamba
07-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
John, it's all stock no roller.

MWE, all I know is that the front of the deck is about 1/4 or 1/8 lower than the rear. You may want to ask around or do a search on deck pitch. I had my dealer do it for me when I bought it and it's been like that ever since.

I have pics like that before the rollers came out. I run my decks like that too. If you put a roller on it will have less tire more stripe. But you are doing great without.
John

Expert Lawns
07-24-2004, 09:23 AM
John
I can see the difference between mine and yours. you're right, my tire tracks are more defined. your stripes seem ''smoother'' all the way across

EastCoast
07-27-2004, 02:38 PM
BryPaulD

How did the roller install on the Honda?

Any issues?

BryPaulD
07-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Ohhh I haven't received it yet. I sent an e-mail to the company last night and they replied that they just sent it out yesterday. I'm assuming that it will be here before the end of the week. I had ordered the extension brackets as well, and put a side note in that if the Honda 215 sx doesn't need them, don't send them, but failed to mention that it's self propelled. So they probably won't send the brackets and I'll need them. That's just my luck. :)

BryPaulD
07-29-2004, 07:48 AM
I was right. I needed the brackets and they did not send them...Soooo, I got out the sharpie, the drill, and the jig saw. Works like a champ now. Man that thing is bigger than I expected. I'll have to put up some pics of the stripes,, and the monstered mower ;)

John Gamba
07-30-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by BryPaulD
Man that thing is bigger than I expected. I'll have to put up some pics of the stripes,, and the monstered mower ;) [/B]

Please do!!

John

BryPaulD
08-01-2004, 06:05 PM
here's my stripes :) with the bagging blade on. I think they stand out better with the mulch blades??

BryPaulD
08-01-2004, 06:07 PM
my monster mower ;) notice the jig swed out parts of the deck and custom drilling.

BryPaulD
08-01-2004, 06:09 PM
another view of the monster

John Gamba
08-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Great Stripes
John

BryPaulD
08-01-2004, 06:32 PM
thank you :) :) :) :)

odin
08-01-2004, 07:01 PM
what did you fill it with ?
if you fill it up heavy a good idea would be to seal the ends ..with silicon sealent or some kind of tough glue.

BryPaulD
08-01-2004, 10:53 PM
I was thinking to do that Odin. I didn't "yet" to see if I would need to, if it came apart. I filled it with 2 box's of bb's and the rest sand, and then shook it up so everything evened out.

Fareway Lawncare
08-01-2004, 11:04 PM
How Much Harder is it to Turn w/that Kit?

shep2004
08-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Hey guys I have one of those kits on my lawnboy and its really not that bad to turn, just more weight basically.

BryPaulD
08-02-2004, 07:58 AM
It's not too bad. Kind of like a car, forward, back with turn, forward with turn, back, forward and go. I've turned it straight around a lot, but noticed sometimes it hangs up and may put a small dig into the lawn. Not very noticeable though.

bayoulawn
08-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey John, what type of roller do you have?

And another question. When running doubles which blades on top and which on bottom or does it matter. (Gators & others)

EastCoast
08-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Turning is not difficult, but again you must take it slow because you can dig into the lawn it turning to sharp.

EastCoast
08-02-2004, 12:03 PM
I attached mine to my Honda HRX while maintaing the original look.

chevyman1
08-02-2004, 01:55 PM
EastCoast, do you have a pic of that HRX with the roller? I just bought one

John Gamba
08-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by bayoulawn
Hey John, what type of roller do you have?

And another question. When running doubles which blades on top and which on bottom or does it matter. (Gators & others)

I use the exmark roller. and for doubles i go with double high lifts or meg-mo blades. i use them in tall or wet grass.
John