PDA

View Full Version : Honey, the lawn guys are here......

dfor
07-22-2004, 07:55 PM
And he says, "on three, you tell the kids to go out and play, you set up the food on the picnic table and I'll turn on the sprinklers." I swear they're out to piss us off. Feel free to add to the list.

HOOLIE
07-22-2004, 08:00 PM
My sister-in-law and her roommates have 4 dogs between them. Today they all ran out the doggie door and frolicked about the backyard the whole time I was mowing. Plus, 4 dogs= lots of doggie doo.

jbell113
07-22-2004, 08:07 PM
yea I mow a yard full of doggie doo also the mower mulches it and the aroma hits me like a ton of bricks

bobbygedd
07-22-2004, 08:17 PM
you set up the picnic table while i'm there, you be pickin the clippings out of your maccaroni salad.

Greenservice
07-22-2004, 10:14 PM
I have 1 customer who leaves more junk on his lawn than I think he has in the rest of his house: pool toys, dog toys, plates and dishes, tools, radios, even a fishing pole one time.

....and then there are the people who won't budge from lounging at poolside even though you are mowing right next to them. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

Woody82986
07-22-2004, 10:26 PM
I had an old man who decided he wanted to sit in his park bench in the shade in his back yard last week, while I was mowing and trimming. Aside from the safety risks involved, IT'S JUST WIERD being watched while I'm mowing. After a few laps I politely asked him to make his way inside so he wouldn't get hit by anything and I could successfully mow around where he was sitting. I just don't know what makes poeple decide to do things like this.

smburgess
07-22-2004, 10:26 PM
If they're using the yard, we don't cut.
If it's full of toys and stuff like that we gather it up (and charge the manhours).
If the irrigation is on we don't cut.

DLCS
07-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by dfor
And he says, "on three, you tell the kids to go out and play, you set up the food on the picnic table and I'll turn on the sprinklers." I swear they're out to piss us off. Feel free to add to the list.

Don't forget to....drag every water hose out on the lawn that one gets to me.

Up North
07-22-2004, 10:57 PM
I do a townhome complex. I can pull up and not a soul is outside, as soon as I fire up the Z there are 10 kids right behind me.:blob2:

Then I have to chase them off only to have them sneak up on me later, they think it's a game. I tried talking to some of the parents but it does no good, this Sat. if they are out there I'm going to load up and leave. I can't risk it, something could fly out of my deck and easily take out a kid, ain't gonna deal with that.

Expert Lawns
07-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Sparky the dog that chases the tires on your mower and tries to bite the discharged grass. he is so small and fast that he always sneaks up on me. i turn off the mower until the owner puts him back inside. (funny to watch for the 5 seconds he did it.

The stay at home moms that weed their flowerbeds and throw the weeds in the lawn RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Like i'm supposed to spend extra time choppin em up

EastProLawn
07-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
you set up the picnic table while i'm there, you be pickin the clippings out of your maccaroni salad. LOL Bobby, that's a good one. I'd just pull up a seat and grab a burger or two while I was there, not even think about cutting the grass and still charge them because of them pulling a bonehead move like that.

olderthandirt
07-22-2004, 11:41 PM
knock the table over and chop up everything in the yd second time it happens, Won't happen the 3rd becuase I fired then or they fired me either way problem solved.

Mac

ken50
07-22-2004, 11:42 PM
I have one that almost on a weekly basis either pulls weeds, or trims his bushes, and throws it all in the middle of the yard, so I can deal with it when I mow!!! REALLY burns my a$$. I just run the stuff over with the mower...if he doesn't care, neither do I. He is also one that wants to be cut every other week, and it looks like a jungle every time. Can't wait to get a year under my belt so I can have enough accounts hopefully and I can drop him.

HOOLIE
07-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Last year I was cutting this guys lawn, I do it EOW. Its an easy lawn, but always tall & weedy. The guy comes home and asks me if he can park his Mercedes in the driveway. So I'm like, sure, OK, but its gonna get some grass on it. (Cant wait for 10 mins?)

I go around to the backyard to cut, then when I come around the side of the house I see his little concubine housekeeping wench out washing his car. So I guess he said "wash the car" rather than "park the car"

Its a real windy day, and in a couple minutes the car is just plastered w/ clippings. The whole time the housekeeper just keeps smiling, hosing and washing.

Farmer
07-23-2004, 12:11 AM
I cut one yard that always has kids toys in it, cups, slege hammers, axes ,wedges, PTO shafts from brushhogs, clothes, I even found a pair of shoes...to bad they didn't fit. ;)

txlawnking
07-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Hoses, tools,trampolines and junk like that are bad..:angry: , But toy's don't bother me, Why, might you ask?? Because I love to discharge Barbie and Ken's heads, along with various other toy's..:D . It usually only takes one good toy decapitation for Mom to get the message..oops, I'm sorry ma'am I just couldn't see little Sally.:cool:

Doster's L & L
07-23-2004, 01:53 AM
i hate to drag water hoses out of the way ESPECIALLY if it is a weekly chore. :angry: Them little yapping dogs get on my nerves too. "C'mon Fido. C'mere. Wanna see how long you can stand grass clippings being slammed in your face?" Just keep running and don't run into the bl.......... :eek: Woops!!! Sorry Fido. :o

Mr. Magpie
07-23-2004, 02:11 AM
We scare the crap out of the dogs so they are terrified to come near us!

I just have a general complaint about how people don't see the other option, besides firing the lawn guy, of working with the lawn guy if there are some minor problems. You've found a good, solid service for the past 5 months, it's in your best interest to iron out the wrinkles with this guy, rather than try your luck with the next guy. Think people, think, then discontinue, that's all I ask.

txlawnking
07-23-2004, 03:16 AM
Yeah Doster, I know what ya mean @ the yappy dogs.. One of my accts. neighbors have 2 dachshounds. One of them assaults the fence raisin' all kinds of rucus every week.. If I put my trimmer close enough to the chain link, it will actually try to munch on my line!!! Today, as I was blowig some leaves in the back yard, it saw me and came to the fence again.. This time I introduced it to Mr. br420.. I almost hit the ground laughing so hard as it was trying to bark into a 200mph wind. hehehehe The only thing saving it's stupid carcass is some chainlink:D :D :D

Tharrell
07-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Doggie doo is supposed to be discharged on the house or car, didn't you guys know that? It's my way of saying "THANK YOU!" And you're supposed to get it all in the tires before you take the mower in for service! Everyone needs to get their moneys worth.

SCAG POWER
07-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Yep dog toys do fly when enough power is put behind them.We were mowing one day and found some old balls in the high grass, man they get air borne real fast.

The strangest item that i have found in some ones yard was 4 bottles of miller bottle beer, yes the bottles were still full, so i put them up on the front porch.The client comes out and says where did you find those, before i can tell her in the front yard, shes says yea its hot , i dont mind if you have a beer while you work.At this time iam like mam i don't drink on a customers yard i do my drinking at home.

Any way some other items that i have found were when mowing a field, golf balls, man a ztr can realy flling them too.:drinkup: :drinkup: payup payup

MDLawnman
07-23-2004, 08:24 AM
I have an account that throws their scrap food into the yard every week. This week is was celery stalks, a loaf of bread, blue berry donuts (they were blue so I guess they were blue berry - could've been mold I guess) and watermelon. It's disgusting to say the least. I mow over them and go to the next account. It makes me wonder what the inside of the house looks like - but they pay their bill.

Ray&Christine
07-23-2004, 09:10 AM
We have one customer who on every Monday waited for us to start cutting before he puts his laundry out on the clothes line. We figured that Monday was his wash day so we cut Tuesday and he waited Tuesday to hang out his laundry. A few times he got upset when I got a few clipping on his clothes. Once his bed sheets got wrapped around my mower and I tore his line down. So far this year we have not seen any of his clothes hanging outside.

Jusmowin
07-23-2004, 09:36 AM
I HAD a customer a few years back that never put her hoses away. so I would just mow around them. One day she comes out and demands I put the hoses away as it it part of my job, I just say ok but ask her to stop by my house later to put my hoses away after Im done washing my mowers down for the week. needless to say she got the hint and put the hoses away from that point on.

HighGrass
07-23-2004, 10:18 AM
I have this account that I mow every week on Thursday. EVERY WEEK. You would think that they would pick up all the lawn toys, hoses, laundry racks, dolls, plastic slides, water toys? Nope.

I have another account that has a fenced in back yard for her two dog's (have aptly named them Ugly and Butt Ugly ).
Anyway, they let the dogs crap everywhere. On the patio yesterday there must have been 15-20 turds not to mention what was waiting for me in the grass. At the end of mowing, I go as fast as I can in their driveway and most of the stuff flys off the tires...but not all of it.:blob2:

QC Lawn Services
07-23-2004, 12:42 PM
I know this story isn't related to lawn mowing, but it did have to do with being in grass. When I was in college, I worked the summers painting gas well meter housing. One of the well tenders told me that if I have to go into a particular field, that I have to watch out for the ram, because he likes to protect his ewes. Well of course, as soon as I go in the field, here comes the ram. At first he just watches me, then starts to get closer. I open a valve from the gas meter to hopefully scare him away (or actually blow his brains out his other ear as the gas went right in the other). Didn't even faze him. Eventually, he started to butt me with his head. I took a bit of the blue aluminum paint I was using and put it on his nose and he never came back.

Droffaws
07-23-2004, 01:45 PM
I have this one customer who never pays, has kids with a swingset, balls, swimming pool, little yard doll house, garden hose, etc. Man...what a pain to mow , but the lady there wants it to be mowed every week.

How can I tell my wife I don't want to mow our lawn anymore? :confused: :angry:

Up North
07-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Droffaws, sounds like a PITA. Should drop yourself and hire someone else!!:D

CuttersCove
07-23-2004, 05:15 PM
It isn't the "lawn" customers it's people in general. They honestly, no holds barred DON'T THINK. I used to manage a pizza restaurant and would get the same kind of thing.

Keep in mind all of these incidents were on the telephone taking someone's order.

me:Would you like a Large or Medium pizza?
them: How many pieces in a large?
me: 8
them: How many in a Medium?
me: 8
(pause)
them: So, uhm, I guess the ones in the large are bigger pieces?

---------------

Me: Hello, Howell Pizza Hut.
them: Hi, uh, is this the Pizza Hut in Howell?

-----------

Now when you get a pizza ordered, what do they always ask for over the phone? Name and number right?

me: Name?
them: Mary (or insert name)
Me: Phone number.
Them: I don't have a phone.

:confused: Then how are you making this call?!

-------

me: Name?
them: Bob. B-O-B.

:eek: As if I don't know how to spell.

--------
Not my story but I was there.

Employee: A large grinder is 18 inches.
them: How big is a half?
Employee: half of that.
them: how big is a kids grinder?
Employee: half of that again.
them: WILL YOU STOP PATRONIZING ME!

-------

And my favorite:

me: Whole grinder or half?
them: how big is a whole?
me: 18 inches.
them: Well how big is that?
;) ;) ;)

Out of all the lawn customer's quirks that everyone here puts up with the one that bothers me the most is the one where customers watch you. I HATE THAT!:angry:

-matt

HOOLIE
07-23-2004, 07:38 PM
I guess this is another reason why I don't like to work for renters. Its not their house, so they just don't give a s*** about the yard. If a bag of trash breaks on the way to the curb, the trash sits in the yard until the end of time.

Memorial Day party? Badminton net stays up till Labor Day.

Park the car on the lawn...

No need to use the trash can, when we can just throw the beer bottles out the window...

barringtonbrothers
07-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Man I used to mow rental props for a slum lord. Man did that suck, but some times you gotta do what you gotta do. When its a rental people dont give a flying f#ck about the lawn or whats in it.

On a side note I could have killed my brother. We pulled up to a lawn and it started to downpour but we do it any way. I tell him put the deflector down when you do the front cause there is a truck right next to the lawn. He does the back and Im trimming, go to the front and the first thing he does is run down the length of the truck and spray wet clippings on it. Man I chewed his ass out right then an there, didnt see the guys working on the house two doors down, but watched them watch me as embarrasedly hosed the truck off with a convient hose and outlet. Man was he lucky we could do something about it, cause I was seeing red and didnt know how in the hell I was gonna get those wet clippings off at first.

gvandora
07-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Someone posted this picture a while ago.

tiedeman
07-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by dfor

LOL...that is so true

Expert Lawns
07-23-2004, 11:44 PM
just today i was mowing a back yard and here comes this kid, waves to me, then sets his bike down in the middle of the lawn and goes inside..

???? brain????

EastProLawn
07-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by CuttersCove

-------

And my favorite:

me: Whole grinder or half?
them: how big is a whole?
me: 18 inches.
them: Well how big is that?
;) ;) ;)

-matt Now that is freakin' hilarious...:blob3:

HighGrass
07-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Wait...I got one.

When I was at my old job I sent one of my workers to the maintenance meeting in the afternoon cause I had to go to the dentist. So he comes in about an hour before the meeting and asks...

"Hey boss, what time is the 2 O'clock meeting?"

I just looked at him:mad:

And he looked;)