PDA

View Full Version : Soooooo fed up w/front castor tires

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Insert curse words here __________!!!!!!!!!!!:blob2:

My tires up front are 11x4-5 and they are just too dang small period. Either that or the rims suck. I am so sick and tired of getting flats up front. I'm not talking puncture flats, I'm talking knocking the tire off the rim. Once the bead breaks, the tire is totally flat and off the rim it's impossible to get it to seal and take air.

I used to be able to get them to catch. But not anymore. Now every time they pop off it requires a trip to the tire store. They have those things that deliver a short burst of air that blows the tire back on the rim.

What a friggin pain! Oh and yeah you guessed it, seems I always have it happen after 5 pm when all the tire stores are closed.

I thought about getting those zero flat tires to replace these. But I figured they would ride lousy. I think the real answer to this 13x6.5-6 or larger front castors or am I wrong?

Is it my tire size?
My rims?
Or does everyone have this problem?

cklands
07-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Look into getting solid tires. I have replaced all my exmarks with solid tires up front. Problem solved.

sawman65
07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
i sell and work on them for a living and yes everyone has tihs
problem untill you get the run flats it will allways be

rob1325
07-22-2004, 08:49 PM
I converted all my machines with the solid front casters. Only problem I have with them is that they rock back & forth when traveling fast. Other than that not one problem this year.

BSDeality
07-22-2004, 08:52 PM
get a can of ether and a match to reset the bead. spray and pray

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
get a can of ether and a match to reset the bead. spray and pray
Oh.... don't tempt me.... I'm so mad right now I'd be likely to set the whole SOB on FIRE!!!
:blob2:

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by sawman65
i sell and work on them for a living and yes everyone has tihs
problem untill you get the run flats it will allways be
Even with those BIG WIDE front tires like they put on Lazer's ect?

Couldn't they design a rim that would hold the bead better?

Rick Jones
07-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Funny this subject should come up! I broke the bead on one of my BullRider tires today and was just looking at the zero-flat tires in the j-thomas catalog. Anybody ever tried them on a BullRider?

imograss
07-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Have you tries slime in your tires? It keeps the bead sealed.

ProMo
07-22-2004, 09:27 PM
next time tie a rope around the tire and stick a wrench or something under the rope and twist it around a few times to pull the center of the tire in this always works for me to get the bead seated.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Why not just stick a tube in them???

shortgut
07-22-2004, 09:44 PM
dumb question but here goes are you pulling the valve core out when you trying to get the tire to reset on the rim? it does make a difference most of the time

dcondon
07-22-2004, 10:10 PM
How much air are you running in them?????

FLS
07-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Solid front tires will beat you to death.We have a GS45 and an HD75 with solid fronts,I'm thinking of changing to pneumatic for a smoother ride.

Steppenwolf
07-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
get a can of ether and a match to reset the bead. spray and pray Did you hang around a bunch of truck drivers? Haven't seen that done in twenty years.....but it does work.

xcopterdoc
07-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Ok.. heres my trick.. remove valve core. Use either that yellow snot glue for weather stripping(prefered) or any color of RTV yur heart desires. Clean tire bead and rim, apply glue or RTV. Insert a male fitting with nothing attached into yur female coupler on yur air hose. Air will quickly rush out. Shove it on the valve stem.. usually this will inflate the tire quickly enough to seat the bead. Install valve core and inflate to specs. The glue will help seal any nit noid leaks on the bead and also help it stay in place. The weather stripping yellow bugger glue works best. If you dont have an air compressor, have yur tire place put some glue on it when they reseat the bead.. also they sell a black glue that is actually called bead sealer. Works pretty good too.

draftlawncare
07-22-2004, 11:13 PM
i waS watching the discovery channel, a guy busted the bead on his tire in some godforsaken place in the north pole he used lighter fluid to inflat the tire. he sprayed the inside of the tire threw a match to it poof, good as new looked like a 35 inch tire i think i would have to be pretty desparate to try that

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by imograss
Have you tries slime in your tires? It keeps the bead sealed.
No I haven't tried slime. I didn't think something like that would help with the bead....
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
next time tie a rope around the tire and stick a wrench or something under the rope and twist it around a few times to pull the center of the tire in this always works for me to get the bead seated.
I've tried ropes and today I tried looping the strap of a ratchet binder thru the hook, hooking the ratchet to the trailer rail and cranking it down. I Always seem to have the same problem with this approach.... the bead portion of the tire just goes like so....v.... into the center of the rim and I have a worse situation than before. Maybe my tires are softened up quite a bit now which is why I can never seem to get them to catch anymore.
Originally posted by grass_cuttin_fool
Why not just stick a tube in them???
Didn't think of that one. I didn't think they made tubes this small. If so why are they not in there to begin with. Surely this issue has to be a complaint. It's sure enough of a pain.
Originally posted by shortgut
dumb question but here goes are you pulling the valve core out when you trying to get the tire to reset on the rim? it does make a difference most of the time
Yeah I have one of those little tools that removes them. I didn't try that today though. The only thing about it is these litle tires run right back flat real quick. Sometimes they come back off before I can get the valve core back in. Other times it just runs flat but stays on the rim.
Originally posted by dcondon
How much air are you running in them?????
Between 11-15 PSI depending on how hot it is out.
Originally posted by FLS
Solid front tires will beat you to death.We have a GS45 and an HD75 with solid fronts,I'm thinking of changing to pneumatic for a smoother ride.
That's what I was thinking and why I vary my air pressure at times. Over rough terrain at speed it rides rough and hops. Maybe there is a soft airless tire?

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 11:18 PM
xcopterdoc,

I'm getting that black goo put on there at the tire store then. Hummm... I wonder why that has not been suggested to me by them before now?

Sam-Ohio
07-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Solid rubber or semi pneumatic tires on the front casters are not the answer. Steiner uses these as their standard equipment, and we have seen hundreds of them knocked clear off of the rim - and you can't get them back on the rim, so you buy a new wheel.

The best , most trouble free way I know of is to start with a good high quality tire. A Carlisle tire will probably have a thicker stiffer sidewall than the cheapest Chen-Shing tire has, so use good tires.

Put a tube in the tire. The tube will prevent leaks at the tires rim. When you bump sidewalks, and curbs etc. the rim often lets out little bits of air, and slowly [sometimes quickly] the pressure goes down in the tire. When the pressure gets under 10 lb. it's easy for the tire to pop off the rim. If the air pressure is kept up over 20 lb. to 25 lb., then it takes dynamite to knock it off the rim.

Even if the tire is hit from the side so hard that it pops away from the rim, the inflated tube shoves it right back out there onto the rim again without you even knowing it happened.

If thorns are causing you to have leaks and low pressure, then the tubes will also be punctured. You can try a good tire sealer [like Pneuma Seal] inside the tubes, and this may help a lot in keeping the tire pressure up so they won't pop off the rim again.

Tubes often do not work as well in the rear tires. This is because the rears are often down to 10 lb of pressure, so the ride is more comfortable. At this low pressure, the bead of the tire can slide on the steel wheel rim. If this happens, it will rip the tire stem off the inner tube and the tire will instantly go flat. The front tires are not powered as the rear tires are so these tires don't spin on the rims and so they don't rip off the tire stems in front.

Good front tires, good tubes, and enough tire pressure to hold the tires onto the rims should be the answer to your problems.

Lbilawncare
07-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Don't waste your money on foam filled tires- they will wear down faster than you can believe. As stated, go with the Carlisle tires, they have a much better bead than those darn ching-shen.

Envy Lawn Service
07-23-2004, 12:32 AM
Sam,

They are Carlisle tires...
On the previous account the bead seperated for an instant when I was coming off a curb and let some air out before the caster turned and the bead resealed. I saw it because I'm always aware and looking for it. I pumped it back up, went to this account, dropped the gate, ran over to the corner of the curb where the down swoop is, started to cross and that same tire broke loose and went down instantly. Never had it happen there before and frankly wasn't expecting it. But I knew when I saw a piece of debris fly from the escaping air pressure.

So 20-25 psi huh? I don't think I can live with that either. I got really ticked off once and if I'm not mistke I put 20 psi in them. Do you think I could get by at 11-15 psi with tubes, sealant in the tubes and bead sealer?

GarPA
07-23-2004, 05:37 AM
couple weeks ago I just bit the bullet and bought a spare new tire and rim frrom J thomas and now keep it in the trailer. $100 for a tire and rim is ridiculous but at least now if I get a flat for whatever reason, I can keep working that day and just drop off the tire to the dealer.

SWD
07-23-2004, 07:56 AM
The best way I have found to reseal the small front casters was shown to me by a tire guy.
You have to compress the tire at four points with your fingers - kind of like a diamond pattern while simultaneously filling with air to seat the bead. You end of having a thumb and forefinger from both hands evenly distributed around the tire wherein the tips of these digits are providing the pressure, not the whole digits. This works where a strap doesn't't.
If you do not have a third hand or laborer to hold the air chuck to the valve stem, two small pieces of 2x4 work just as well.
Set them just about 4" apart, rest the tire/wheel upright on the boards so the edges of the boards are in contact with the tire tread surface then use your other hand to provide the pressure outlined above.
Works every time.

GaryR
07-23-2004, 08:17 AM
I got sick of flat tyres on ferris which allways happened after shop hours so I bought a spare front & rear wheel and have not had a flat since.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Envy I just checked my cataloge from mow more, they have that size tube for $4 bux each, In the problems you are having with the tire coming off the bead this is the way I would go,Yes they are a lil meaner when they go flat but far as the bead leaking I think a tube is better, good luck