PDA

View Full Version : So whats your opinion on 4 stroke trimmers?

pjslawncare/landscap
07-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Just bought a Honda HT24 I think, (its raining now so I dont want to run out to the pole barn & look). Its a 4 stroke with oil filled crank case. My dealer said its about equal to my Shin 240. Hope it stops raining so I can see how it does tomorow. It will take some getting used to the sound. It doesnt sound like its turning a lot of rpm's, but it really is.
Anyone got a 4 stroke? Do U like the performance & torque. Any bad news on these or is it all good.

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 08:54 PM
I tried out a Honda before buying my Stihl. It was a very nice trimmer. I am very sensitive to vibration and it just vibrated too much to suit me. Other than that, I couldn't find fault with it and many people wouldn't even notice that part....

jsaunders
07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
I have 3 honda trimmers. I like them alot. I have 1- 24cc and 2 -31cc. One has a solid shaft and the other is the newer style cable shaft. I love the solid shaft so much more than the cable drive. You can feel the twist on the cable when you give it gas and it pisses me off. I use the solid shaft 31 cc every day. Joel

specialtylc
07-22-2004, 09:36 PM
I have a Stihl 110. Works good.Lots of power.

Fareway Lawncare
07-23-2004, 12:07 AM
They are Too Dang Heavy.....4Mix technology allows safer positioning...2 Stroke Engines on Sticks Still Rule !

TClawn
07-23-2004, 02:13 AM
I don't think that I would like the hassle of changing the oil and all the matinence that comes along with a 4 cycle. so for right now I guess I'll keep using my 2 cycle equipment although the shindaiwa t2500 looks pretty good

Tharrell
07-23-2004, 06:15 AM
So these 4 cycle engines have valves and cams and all that? It seems like they would weigh a ton.

Martino
07-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Not for me.

I need less maintenance headaches, not more.

JHE
07-23-2004, 04:22 PM
I bought a first generation 4 stroker and I would not do it again. Has alot of power but it is heavy and a maintenance nightmare. Also, mine was set up so that the oil reservoir made it so that the unit could not be turned on it's side or upside down (kinda like turning your mower on its side the engine is not going to get lubricated). So, you have to turn the shaft in order to change the angle of the trimmer head = PITA.

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm going to buy a few 2-cycle trimmers and blowers before the year ends. Hopefully, they'll take me through the end of next year. In 2006, we'll see, but I have no appetite for lugging around yet-heavier equipment. The government can't raise corporate average fuel economy for automobiles, but 2-cycle equipment is an environmental hazard? Somebody tell me this is some kind of joke.

DennisF
07-23-2004, 06:36 PM
I've got the Stihl FS-110 and it is a nice trimmer. It is heavier than my FS-85 and uses a little more fuel, but it is much more powerful than any 2 stroke I've ever used. It does take some time to get use to the heavier trimmer, but after a while you really don't notice much difference. The extra power is well worth the the extra weight.

beransfixitinc
07-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by TClawn
I don't think that I would like the hassle of changing the oil and all the matinence that comes along with a 4 cycle. so for right now I guess I'll keep using my 2 cycle equipment although the shindaiwa t2500 looks pretty good

You still mix your gas and oil with the 2500. Also, it should be noted that with the 2500, 89 octane or better is STRONGLY recommended.

locutus
07-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Sixteen moving parts is going to give you more problems than three moving parts. It is a violation of basic logic to think otherwise.

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by locutus
Sixteen moving parts is going to give you more problems than three moving parts. It is a violation of basic logic to think otherwise.

I'll drink to that.

kkat
07-24-2004, 08:23 AM
The shindawia t2500 is great , a lot of power dosent bog down like the 2 cycle do and its a 50 2 1 mix, so there is no chance of running it out of oil,, not to much heavier I have 1 job with about 2 hours of trimming (steep hill) and the shin handles it with no problem

Blessed 1
07-24-2004, 08:37 AM
I can imagine that when the first ZTR came out and If they had a forum back then you guys would have said "double the production in half the time ha ha. I 'll stick to my lawn tractor.............." Now if you are still cutting with a lawn tractor you are second guessed.

I love my Stihl FS110. I have a hard time getting to use it because my helper or my wife grab it first. I always get stuck with the FS 85.............

Tonyr
07-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Are you talking 4 mix or 4 stroke?

If 4 stroke ie. Honda's...I have one, 2 years old, 1.5hp, only been back for a tune up once, just keep the filter clean like any other, replace oil every now and again, keep plugs good and these 4 strokes are great.

I don't know how they compare to 4 mixers though, I would prefer a bit more power with the hondas though, nice engine, but they can bog down....without another to compare it to I can't give you a comparison, but the honda engine is great.

I wish I only had 4 stroke gear, mixing 2 stroke feul these days seems primative, saying that I remember honda has recently released new models of trimmers, hedgers, blowers. Want to see heavy, big bulky gear, go look at a new honda hedger and blower, beautiful gear, but bulky as! I want more honda but you would need to be Mr Universe to use the stuff! pity....pretty stupid for a great small engine company to make gear for us that is far too heavy and bulky, lost the plot somewhere!

Honda trimmers...very good, but could do with more explosive grunt when brush cutting. I don't fond the weight a problem, very well built and balanced, I guess it is what you get used to..

turbo6bar
07-25-2004, 01:59 PM
I bought a lightly used Stihl FS-250 for $260 shipped. It has 2.2 HP (40cc 2-stroke) and weighs 13.0 lbs dry. The power is ridiculous. I haven't used it much yet, but I think it's a great addition. Just another option...
Jürgen

F6Hawk
09-16-2004, 03:09 AM
Well, get used to the 4-cycle technology, cuz I believe it is here to stay. For no other reason than emissions. Look around you, laws are going into effect to limit emissions everywhere, and consider that the most pollutinist (my word!) engine out there is a 2-stroker.

I just bought a Stihl KM110 4Mix, and I love it. Quiet, less vibes than a 2-stroke, and it doesn't have an oil reservoir, it runs off the same 2-cycle gas (50:1) that you use for your other equipment. It burns cleaner because the exhaust is scavenged and re-burnt, so there is less un-burned fuel and oil from the exhaust.

Didn't realize the Hondas had an oil reservoir, am now even more glad I went with Stihl.

jtm45
10-11-2004, 02:38 AM
you need the lightest weight trimmer you can find in a commercial brand, like a Tanaka. As far as the green enviro-mental-ists saying 2 strokes harming the atmosphere go figure. Figure out how much AIR and gas you burn per year in your vehicle and compare it with how much you burn with your wacker. Then tell me the enviro-mental-ists have a leg to stand on...while they drive to meetings in giant suv's. ;)

David Haggerty
10-11-2004, 07:53 AM
My son and I had a Stihl FS 85 and a Stihl FS110. The FS 85 just laid in the back of the truck. We always chose the 110 to work. Quieter, more power, and we couldn't notice the difference in weight just by lifting them.

Someone finally stole the FS85 from out of the truck. We're not sure when it came up missing, because we hardly ever used it. We don't miss it at all.
All that screaming noise and stinking exhaust!

Next spring I'll get a 4-mix blower when Stihl has their spring special.

Dave

PE74003
10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
I am disappointed with my Stihl 110 edger and 110 trimmer - powerful and quiet, but, both are new, one is missing at full throttle, the other quit and is in for warranty service.