PDA

View Full Version : hugh brush clean up... need some help

slikrick
07-22-2004, 07:39 PM
i have a client who asked me to clean up a nasty 60x20 foot patch of ferns and low rider half dead bushes w/ some palmetto palms mixed in...... looks like a scene 10 miles into an uninhabited forest! its nasty, roots everywhere. any ideas of tools or power equiptment i should use or would help to get the job done? any input would be great!
Thanks
Richie

pjslawncare/landscap
07-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Big axe, chain saw, hedge trimmer & chop, cut and trim away. If U can access it you mite pull some roots with truck & chain or better yet, a tractor if available.

slikrick
07-22-2004, 08:28 PM
thanks for the input! good ideas but im wondering if a stump grinder or something of the sort might be more time saving and less back breaking? anyone else w/ any ideas?

youngdude
07-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Gas and a match.

Precision
07-22-2004, 11:28 PM
get a root rake. It is a tractor rental with a special set of tines specifically for that. Pricey and maybe a bit overkill for that small of an area, but try looking to see if a Bobcat can use a similar idea.

not a stumpgrinder, they are just huge slow circular saws. They do have something that is like a 55 gallon drum with teeth onit. But around here they are $2200 per day rental.

Shady Brook
07-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Stump grider is $2200/day? :eek:

I hope that was $220:)

You might be careful about just ripping out roots, or grinding them down indiscriminately as they could be very vital to a particular trees health. I have several situations similar to yours, and have a tree guy, or stump man examine what can safely be ground down or removed before letting the steel fly.

You will likely need a brush saw attachement to get alot of the stuff out. Problem is in those cases, it is hard to really see what you are getting into, which can result in underbidding a job.

I would get everything I could with a trimmer and brush saw, then you can work on the larger stuff when you can see it, and move around in it. Watch for poison ivy as well!

Depends how much tree matter you have to remove whether or not a brush grinder would be helpful. You could contact a tree company for a price to grind up brush if you do not want to haul it out. Best time for all this work is when it gets cold and there is not so many bugs to assult you.

Good luck
Jay

qualitylandscaping
07-23-2004, 07:13 AM
skid steer and a dump truck... Get the skid with the grapple option..

NC Big Daddy
07-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by qualitylandscaping
skid steer and a dump truck... Get the skid with the grapple option..

What he said........

txlawnking
07-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Bulldozer.. Be prepared to spend at least $220 a day+ @$500 deposit.. But you'd get that area cleaned up in a hurry...And what NC big daddy said...

slikrick
07-23-2004, 12:50 PM
ok so i priced the skid steer and its w/in budget as long as it knocks off time but ive never used one before! is it hard to understand or work? what type of controlls are there?
thanks!

sbvfd592
07-23-2004, 01:03 PM
joysticks and it will take 10 min to get used to it

Gravely_Man
07-23-2004, 02:44 PM
If you have driven any other kind of heavy equipment it will be a snap to learn. Just remember to take it slow and don't try and rush it. Just when you think you have the hang of it is when you end up running into something.

Gravely_Man

slikrick
07-23-2004, 03:13 PM
cool! thanks guys! ill let you all know what happens if she gives me the ok!

cantoo
07-23-2004, 09:05 PM
20x60 and a bulldozer? Two passes? Maybe pics would help us understand.