PDA

View Full Version : Teaming Opportunities

Wells
07-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm considering the idea of putting together a team of multiple companies to pursue large commercial contracts this next season.

What I mean by this is anyone of these companies have the capability to provide maintenance, weed control, fertilizing, sprinklers, and shrub pruning. But certain companies specialize or are more skilled in certain areas better than others.

Example: We may do a top notch job at maintenance but may struggle with sprinklers or weed control. Where another company may not do any maintenance but are top notch sprinkler repair techs. Or one company may only specialize in fertilizing and weed control.

My idea is to put together a team of some of the most recognizable companies around with specialized skills that each team excels at. Then go after large commercial contracts with a this team in place.

Engineering firms have been using this same concept for years. Instead of having a one stop shop they have their specialty (ie: survey, roadway design, structure design, signal design, right-of-way acquisition, etc.) and they team up to pursue large projects knowing that their chances are increased the better their team.

Has anybody tried any teaming opportunities, and have they been successful for all parties involved?

HOOLIE
07-23-2004, 12:10 AM
I sort of team up with a landscaper. We both work solo. Whenever he gets a new client, he gives them my card, and tells them to call me for mowing. And if one of my clients has a big landscaping job that I can't handle I give them the landscapers card.

We have never intentionally joined forces to go after accounts, but I can see how that could work well.

Wells
07-23-2004, 02:26 PM
So does anybody think this concept will work, or not?

BSDeality
07-23-2004, 02:30 PM
i think there might be one or two many hands in the pot. what happens when two aspects of a project overlap and its not easy to distinguish who should keep how much of the profit?

gvandora
07-23-2004, 03:18 PM
I would look at your team mates as sub contractors.

If your primary business is maintenance, but a customer needs lawn care and irrigation services sub it out to your "team mate" at the rates you want.

Wells
07-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Your points are well taken.

I think all the subs involved should know what their share is up-front as they will be bidding their part of the project.

So what would happen is the proposal for bids would come out, each sub would price their piece accordingly, and I would then submit the scope of work, which contractor will provide which service and a price breakdown for the project.

Im only looking at doing this with large commercial projects and large goverment projects. I would never consider taking this route with just the average homeowners maintenance.

parkwest
07-23-2004, 04:35 PM
We have been building houses like this for years. You're not coming up with a new idea by far.

HOOLIE
07-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, I think most LCOs are so busy around here that they don't think in these terms. Its a good idea, because if you are a small LCO you can't possibly do 100 different things well.

nriddle77
07-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I think people like dealing with one company for everything.