PDA

View Full Version : deadbeats....

richard2
06-02-2000, 10:13 PM
has anyone ever thought about .50 cal chain guns on deadbeats? might this be cheaper than leins? after all if they don't sell their house you don't get paid....

Barkleymut
06-02-2000, 11:33 PM
I offer a free Roundup treatment for non payers. If they care about their lawn they will pay. If they don't or don't believe you make them believe you. Round it UP! Some will say this isn't professional but how about this, I am a professional and I pay my damn bills. So tell them to pay up or their lawn will brown up. IT WORKS.

PLS
06-02-2000, 11:44 PM
Be creative.............. write deadbeat in there frontyard with Roundup. Naaaaaaaa, just kidding, don't do that. <p>Call your Magistrate Judge and see if there is some other way of collecting your claim.

lawrence stone
06-02-2000, 11:49 PM
roundup is too expensive try fuel oil<br>

gusbuster
06-03-2000, 12:48 AM
It works for credit card companies, why not you. CHARGE INTEREST! I started this 3 years ago and have reduced late payers by 75%. The other deadbeats are someone else's problem now.<br>Jean<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

Toroguy
06-03-2000, 01:18 AM
Hire some goons...the mafia has lawn care needs.

Keith
06-03-2000, 05:34 AM
I have a real piece of **** we did sprinkler work for last winter. I haven't been able to get a dime out of his sorry ass. I knew what type of person he was when he hired us, and against better judgement I did work anyway. The POS is a sales manager at a local Chevy dealership. When we mow near his house now, he, his wife and kids all go hide in the house. I am about to snap and beat the **** out of this MF.<p>Lawrence, I agree with your grass killer of choice.

southside
06-03-2000, 06:14 AM
Keith, Just give the debt to a collection<br>agency,and they'll send the hired goons around. People here who do our collections<br>send guys out who have hate and kill tatooed<br>on their fingers.<p>Karl<br>

MOW ED
06-03-2000, 06:30 AM
I think gusbusters idea about charging interest is good. Do you have a contract with this written in? How much are you charging? Extra 10%-20%? How much grace period 30 days to pay and late after? Just trying to see what works. Thanks

1stclasslawns
06-03-2000, 08:35 AM
My collection policy is ... a healthy dose of 19-19-19 its cheep when bought in bulk. and their lawn has to be mowed twice a week!!!!!!<p>Small claimes court works well also.

Charles
06-03-2000, 08:57 AM
Keith, I had a similiar problem with a car sales manager. These guys must be trained sleazeballs. The only way I got my money from him was to act like a bulldog lol. I kept going to where he worked and asking for my money in front of his salepeople. Just took a couple of times of doing that. What a slimeball

pogo
06-03-2000, 09:44 AM
I had a customer that owes me $1000.00. I did get a lien against her property thru a lawyer friend. We proved to a judge that she had done this before to other lawn companies.<br>The lawyer did not charge me a thing but added his $3000.00 lawyer fee to the lein. Then with fraud proved her damages tripled. So now I have a lein on her property for $7200.00. When you add up interest over the years this may be a goldmine in the future. <br>About her: She never responded to any of my lawyers attempts to contact her. This process took about 1 month from when we filed the papers till we were in front of a judge.

PLS
06-03-2000, 12:08 PM
Pogo:<br>I hope she sells her house before you die. I just hate for people like her to get away with sh#t like that. There needs to be a better way than a lien on thier house, takes to long to get your money, if you ever get it.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: PLS

Getmow
06-03-2000, 12:31 PM
We have had to take a couple of deadbeats to court over non payment. It is a hassle and somewhat time consuming. The most satisfaction I got from one of these sob's was to kindly return the leaves we had removed to his yard (plus interest). He ended up with a 6'x12'x4' cube in the front of his house.

bill phagan
06-04-2000, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately, because most of us are sooooo busy, we sometimes create deadbeats ourselves. Learned this lesson early in my LMO career and began establishing some rules to go by like BILL EARLY & OFTEN, GET DEPOSITS ON MAJOR JOBS EQUAL TO LABOR AND MATERIALS COST OR 50% of the job, whichever is greater, get the first months service fee in advance, check your receivables by the 5th day of each month following services, if you feel uncomfortable with a prospect, get 100% in advance or walk away. You should be able to lien any property in your state yourself for a min fee. Normally all you need is the property description. Check on the window in terms of how long you have to do it in your state. If there are multiple pre-existing liens, you may still not get paid.Best solution is to always work off your customers money, establish YOUR payment schedule in writing and signed by customer for documentation purposes. Be firm up front and you will reduce your losses.

Bobby
06-04-2000, 12:03 PM
You have a good point there Mr Phagan. <br>I may have created a few myself. <br>Sometimes I'm so busy, I skip a bill and <br>then bill for two months. People begin <br>to get on the slow program after that. I <br>believe beter management would put a <br>stop to most of my slow payers.<p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale<br>OOPS spelled your name wrong. <p><font size="1">Edited by: Bobby

thelawnguy
06-04-2000, 01:13 PM
I had a real estate agent I did the snow for, he got divorced and moved without telling me, two months in arrears before he finally told me not to bother plowing anymore but he was broke and couldnt pay the tab. Walked in his office one Saturday morning a few weeks back (office was busy at the time) and announced in a loud voice to the receptionist, &quot;Tell Tom the Plowman is here, he'll know what its about.&quot; She returned shortly with a check in full.<p>As others stated earlier, the customer doesnt want friends/clients to know they stiff the help, call em on the carpet where a stink will really smell, you will get paid.<p>Bill

Charles
06-04-2000, 01:26 PM
I did that again one time Lawnguy. A woman who owned an insurance company kept giving me the run around. I went to her office and announce loudly i was their to collect for the grasscutting(this was the second time i had been there to try and collect. The first time she ask me to come their to get my money and then bs-ed me about not having the money almost if she was not a woman had to open a can of ass-whup lol.)She pulled me outside her face bright red lol and asked why I embarrassed her like that. I told her I be back every day. She whiped out the cash so fast....