PDA

View Full Version : New Grasshopper Mid-Mount Models

Envy Lawn Service
07-23-2004, 04:46 AM
As some of you may know, one of my neighbors is a mechanic at a Grasshopper/Kubota/Wright/Snapper Commercial dealer. He sends me stuff via his mechanic, even a surprise demo unit once. Anyways, Grasshopper has made some improvements and added/replaced a few models. I'm talking just about the mid-mounts.

In the 200 series they have added the Kohler powered
223/52 223/61
227/52 227/61 227/72

In the 300 Series they have added the Kubota powered
322D/61 322D/72 w/new engine cowling

Also the liquid cooled Kawasaki powered (1st Kawi unit)
327/61 327/72

Also worth mentioning is a model that has been around that some may not know about that fits a serious niche
325A/61
which is the only mower I know of to sport the liquid cooled Kohler Aegis.

Just thought I would put it out there for the enthusists, shoppers and just a general heads-up for those that might be interested.

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 08:11 AM
It sounds like there putting real engines on there mowers now.

Thanks John

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Grasshopper, another manufacturer who can't be bothered to get a dealer in one of the most lucrative markets in the U.S., namely Fairfax County, VA.

In the year 2000 census, Fairfax County ranked No. 2 in per-capita income for all U.S. counties, yet only two or three manufacturers bother to establish dealerships up here. The rest are sticking their heads in the sand in towns with populations of 3,298. Yeah, great idea. They'll move some inventory out there, alright.

They are deluding themselves into thinking that I'm going to drive 120 miles to buy their machines. Too bad, they're leaving this market to Scag and eXmark, and to a lesser extent, John Deere. Who is the moron with Grasshopper, Dixie Chopper and others who decided that the northern Virginia market isn't worth bothering with? Thank God they aren't running my company.

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Just in case anyone doubts my claim about per capita income here, click below.

http://www.novaregion.org/Demographics/databook/3_8.pdf

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Have you called them with this info?

rtyus
07-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Just heard about the new engines yesterday. Haven't got all the info yet, but everything I've heard sounds great.

Hey Mark, maybe you should consider putting in a dealership yourself.

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by rtyus
Just heard about the new engines yesterday. Haven't got all the info yet, but everything I've heard sounds great.

Hey Mark, maybe you should consider putting in a dealership yourself.

There you go!!!

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Good Lord, if I had the money to set up a dealership, I just might. A dealership with decent backing could make money by tripping and falling on its face around here if they have a decent product.

Anyone wanna invest in a new dealership up this way (in your case, John, it'd be down this way)?

rtyus
07-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Talk to some of the distributors for the machines you would want to carry, find out what they require in terms of inventory etc. and look around for investors. They're out there and if it's as wide open as you say, and I have no reason to doubt that it is, you should be able to find someone to go in with you.

matthew horner
07-23-2004, 08:46 PM
I've got a grasshopper dealer 1 mile from my house that I rent stuff from. I looked them over one night after hours and my opinion CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. I'm sorry, they seemed flimsy and I know I'd kill one in about 50 or so hours.

Matt

NNJLandman
07-23-2004, 08:50 PM
We have 3 Grasshopper mowers at work and they are some of the best dam machines we have. I only get to use them once and a while, since I am on the landscape crew, but the lawn crew uses these machines to the max and they take the abuse like its nothing, they are such fast machines and leave an awesome cut. As for striping, they don't stripe that well. We also have walker and scag machines.

Jeff

seven-up
07-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by matthew horner
I've got a grasshopper dealer 1 mile from my house that I rent stuff from. I looked them over one night after hours and my opinion CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. I'm sorry, they seemed flimsy and I know I'd kill one in about 50 or so hours.

Matt

Flimsy? Cheap? Wow, I just don't know what to say... I've had my 225 for just over a year and love it. It's a great machine. Thinking of buy 1-2 more in the off season.

Regarding killing one in 50 hours? LMAO. I truly have tried to kill this machine... And I can't. These were mostly due to careless mistakes and shall we say "errors in judgement."

1. Mowing side of a river bank, turned around wrong and down I went about 50 feet... straight into an oak tree by the river. Simply turned around and continued mowing.

2. Employee mowed a new property that was very high. Didn't walk it first. Wrapped a piece of 1/2 rebarb around a blade. Just killed the engine. Cranked up, drive back to truck, removed rebarb, continued mowing. Blades didn't bend. Belt didn't break. Good machine.

There are others, hit a few stumps, etc... (those don't feel to good when u come out of the seat at 11 mph)

Grasshopper makes one dam good machine. It's a beast, you can't kill it.

John

PS. It pops a nice wheelie. (my longest is right at 20 ft most are 15)

matthew horner
07-23-2004, 09:27 PM
its re-bar. LMAO.

I've never used on, just judging on the build vs my hustler, seems flimsy. If i'm wrong, I'm sorry.

Matt

Mowingman
07-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Grasshopper makes some tough machines, I have 4 currently and they never give me any trouble.
As to becoming a dealer, it can be done without too much investment if you are careful and plan well. In fact, me and a partner just set up a brand new dealership last fall. We liked Grasshopper, but did not care for the nearby dealer. As it turns out, Grasshopper really wanted a more agressive dealer for their products here, so we made a deal to be a Grasshopper dealer. They have a great lineup of machines, and really stand behind their product. To fill in our need for walkbehinds, we added Gravely to our store. For handheld equip., we were fortunate enough to get Redmax.
We really like the companies whose products we represent. If you lack a dealer for a brand you like, consider setting up a dealership yourself. If you offer great machines, and great parts and service support, you can make a go of it. We think we can phase out our mowing operations by next year, and then concentrate solely on our store after that.
And, back to the original topic. Grasshopper no longer offers the Kohler 25hp Aegis, liquid-cooled engine. They are now using Kawasaki for the liquid-cooled machines.

seven-up
07-23-2004, 09:49 PM
hah. ok. so it is re-bar. just wrote it like it sounded.... *shrug* how do you like your hustler? the magazines are kinda cool... how are the mowers though?

john

Steven Anderson
07-23-2004, 10:11 PM
I have had many machines john deere exmark lazers and now a grasshopper 721d g2 out front deck very nice built machine 481 hrs and only one hydro tension spring 1.80 and back to work i love my machine and its not flimmsy at all

matthew horner
07-24-2004, 01:27 AM
I like the hustler. I used to say rebard...lol.
No hard feelings intended, they just looked week to me, and the seat was cloth (thin) covered.

The hustler is tough and it just feels solid.

Matt

Envy Lawn Service
07-24-2004, 02:59 AM
Grasshoppers might be a lot of things, but I think flimsy built would be my last inclination. A guy here runs the old 321D mid-mounts and he pushes them harder than I would ever dare to push any mower, for fear of personal injury if nothing else. They take the abuse and keep on going.

Nothing at all wrong with personal preferences though....