PDA

View Full Version : employees borrowing money?

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 07:46 AM
last week, he asked to borrow $100. this week, i landed 3 big jobs out of the blue. i asked him to work sunday, he said he couldn't;) . i don't know, when i was an employee, and i needed extra money, i always took any overtime they offered me. what is with these guys? but hey, at least he shows up monday thru friday, and sat if needed. ever loan your guys money? how bout, do u ever loan them money AFTER they turned down overtime?

Avery
07-23-2004, 08:04 AM
Yes we have loaned money. But my guys NEVER turn down overtime. If they did I would not be so eager to help them out with loans in the future. Plus many times of not coming in when asked and he would be looking another job.

wriken
07-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Thats how I base it if, they can request some money before payday, how eager and energetic they are, depenable etc. They help me, I help them.

Hawkeye5
07-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Close down the Bank of Bobby for good. I'm solo, but if I had employees I would never give an advance or loan. The banks and finance companies are not in the lawn care business and I'm not in the finance business.

Acute Cut
07-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Hawkeye has a good point here, but i also know we dont pay our guys enough to make a "good" living in todays expensive lifestyle. I have and do advances off of thier next paycheck, but i dont loan money.

As for not working Sundays, i agree with the employee. I am a religious man personally and you will not see me about town working. If you fire him because of that he can sue your ass for not recognizing his religon. JMo

wriken
07-23-2004, 09:12 AM
thats what I met, I don't do loans, just advances. It comes back to me by the next pay period.

meathead1134
07-23-2004, 09:32 AM
I'm a solo person right now (my first year) I can say that I will never loan out money to an employee. You just never know he could skip town and never see him again. Call me bitter but I have had loaned money years ago and never got it back. I learned from my mistake I will never do it again. I won't even loan money to my sister.

Gravely_Man
07-23-2004, 10:07 AM
I personally donít ever work on Sundays but that is just me. If I had loaned the money to the employee and then asked them later to work on a Saturday and they said no, then yes I would be a little angry.

Gravely_Man

Up North
07-23-2004, 10:20 AM
in the case of loaning money, don't think I'd do it unless the employee or his family was really in an emergency situation. I may advance some of his/her pay, but it would be deducted from the next paycheck.

As far as working overtime, that's a tough call. Maybe the guy has a family function which should come first and foremost IMO, or maybe he just needs to get away from work for a day. I'm solo, but if I had employees I would expect them to bust butt for me Monday-Friday but weekends, that would be up to them. Unless rain causes a backup of the schedule, the employee would know ahead of time that in the event that happens they would be expected to work Sat. to make up for lost time. That is the nature of this business, and they need to know that.

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 02:58 PM
well, i'll tell you what, when i worked for "the man", i sacrificed time with my family, days off, lunch breaks, and anything else i had to do to meet his deadlines. i even worked thanksgiving one year. though i never borrowed money from him, it was written in our employee handbook that he would help us financially if we needed it. as far as his religous rights and suing me, well he better explain to his lawyer, that he can't afford to pay him, and he better explain to the judge, that his religon doesn't allow him to work sundays, but it DOES allow him to miss church,say mother fkr 100 times a day, and drink excessively on sundays

fga
07-23-2004, 03:01 PM
bobby,
can i borrow a dollar..... i swear i'll pay you back.:angel:

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 03:16 PM
a dollar? sure no problem

DUSTYCEDAR
07-23-2004, 03:22 PM
BOBBYS goin soft lending out money :rolleyes:

NNJLandman
07-23-2004, 03:57 PM
My was going to buy me a $2500.00 quad/ATV earlier this week, he, but after us checking it out a little more we found it wasn't worth it. But he said if anything came up tell him and he would help me out. I can't even call the guy my boss anymore, were pretty good friends, When i do my own jobs if I need brush chipped up or hauled away or need a piece of equipment.....lets me have it free of charge, hes a good guy. Of course I'm good right back to him, working for him at the drop dime whenever he needs me and working extra hours and late nights for him.

Jeff

MMLawn
07-23-2004, 04:52 PM
My policy is and always has been that I will advance an employee up to 1/2 of whatever pay they have coming at the time they ask and it comes out of the very next paycheck directly so there is no issue about paying me back. I will do this a max of 6 times a years unless it is a dire emergency. I too never work on Sunday and will not, but I would remember him not working when I need him too also. Remember this guys, employees are HELP, they are NOT your friends and when you think they are they WILL bite you in the butt. Always treat them right and fair and be good to them, but also always remember the above.

Evan528
07-23-2004, 05:04 PM
lets see.....I have loaned money to 2 employees to buy cars.....one for his wife in mexico to give labor....another for car repairs. I have always taken the money out of there check untill its paid back. I was screwed last year by an employee of 2 years and will not lend money again because of it. End of the season he was in a financial bind. Ask me to loan him 400 dollars and I can take it out of his first check in the spring. I thought no problem....this guy has been with me for over 2 years and I trust his word as he had never gone back on his word in the past. This spring comes and Pedro is no where to be found. Couldnt get a hold of him and no one knew where he was.....400 dollars down the drain. This year the Bank of Evan has closed down...... no loans no matter what the situation.

rodfather
07-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Everyone knows you've got more money than God bg...shoot, if I had your money, I could throw mine away LOL.

DUSTYCEDAR
07-23-2004, 05:12 PM
LMAO that was great

HOOLIE
07-23-2004, 06:21 PM
My old boss LOVED to loan money. Write them a check from the business, then insist on cash for repayment. Every Friday he'd be flush with cash, his "night on the town" money.

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 06:33 PM
if i got more money than god, then god must be on welfare. now YOU on the other hand, mr. rodfather, i hear you light your cigars with hundred dollar bills, wipe your butt with 50's. now i'm just repeating what mac told me

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
well, i'll tell you what, when i worked for "the man", i sacrificed time with my family, days off, lunch breaks, and anything else i had to do to meet his deadlines. i even worked thanksgiving one year. though i never borrowed money from him, it was written in our employee handbook that he would help us financially if we needed it. as far as his religous rights and suing me, well he better explain to his lawyer, that he can't afford to pay him, and he better explain to the judge, that his religon doesn't allow him to work sundays, but it DOES allow him to miss church,say mother fkr 100 times a day, and drink excessively on sundays

Bobby, you are so low-key. You really need to let your inner hypertensive out. Bottling all that up is gonna kill ya.