PDA

View Full Version : Crabgrass!!!!

sglawn
07-23-2004, 09:33 AM
I have a problem. This has to do with my own yard. Last fall I re-sowed my whole yard. It was all turf type fescue and looked amazing! My neighbor has nothing but weeds and mainly crabgrass. The side of my yard that butts up to his yard is getting crabgrass growing in it. Weed-B-Gon kills it sometimes, but i was wondering if any of you guys had good suggestions on getting rid of the crabgrass. I appreciate any replies!

Steve9
07-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Get a product called MSMA. Found at Home Depot. Very toxic..wont kill bermuda but read the label for what you have. The only stuff I have found that worked well.

HighGrass
07-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Make sure to apply preemmergent in the spring.

walker-talker
07-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Both are good advice, but msma will harm fescue. Lesco sells a product called Drive 75F, but its $100 for 16oz, but that will treat a lot when spot spraying.

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by HighGrass
Make sure to apply preemmergent in the spring.

What highgrass said and if it comes up later ORTHO Weed -B-Gone. It does nut grass too in fescue. GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!
John

rob1325
07-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Use DRIVE mixed with spread sticker and it will kill your crabgrass for post emergence. For pre-emergence use Dimension or some type of other product in early spring & again if you want for your second app. Lastly if you have Nutsedge, Use Manage, it works great on sedge.

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by rob1325
Use DRIVE mixed with spread sticker and it will kill your crabgrass.

Can you get that at a retailer store????

John

rob1325
07-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Can you get that at a retailer store????

John

NO, but your local Lesco dealer or any good commercial outfitter may.

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:36 PM
NO, but your local Lesco dealer or any good commercial outfitter may.

Rob
I dont think he has a license.
John

rob1325
07-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Rob
I dont think he has a license.
John

Good point there.

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Good point there.

I THINK he is putting it on his own lawn??

sglawn
07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
i do have a license, i was just like to hear other ideas! I thought thats what this website is for.

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by sglawn
i do have a license, i was just like to hear other ideas! I thought thats what this website is for.

OH

sglawn
07-23-2004, 06:57 PM
I do have a license, I just like to hear other peoples ideas. I thought that's what this web site was about

sglawn
07-23-2004, 06:58 PM
sorry, my comp. messed up and posted my reply again

rob1325
07-23-2004, 10:39 PM
SGLawn,
Thats what this site is for. Look for those products I told you about, they work great. If you need any help with anything else just ask away.

Fescue Farmer
07-24-2004, 01:18 AM
SGLAWN,

I am with WALKER-TALKER - use Drive 75! It works awesomely (it should for the price) and won't harm beloved fescue! We have had great success with this product - just head down to Middlebrook Pike in K-Town at Lesco and get you a high dollar bottle and nail it with 2 pre-M tx's in the spring.

number1dad
07-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Using "Manage" on nutsedge, do I need some type of sticker mixed with the spray? Also, MSMA on crabgrass that is growing in bermuda grass, will this harm the bermuda grass?

Steve9
07-24-2004, 09:57 AM
it will brown bermuda a little but it comes right back......

theweedman
08-28-2004, 11:15 PM
i've used drive, it does work well on crabgrass.. normally better if you catch it while its still young. what if the lawn is 75% crabgrass tho? i got people who want it treated, even with large infestations of crabgrass, and my boss sends me out with drive to spray . seems like a big waste to treat for it with a costly chemical at this time of year when its gonna die out in a few months when it gets cold anyway right?

Originally posted by Fescue Farmer
SGLAWN,

I am with WALKER-TALKER - use Drive 75! It works awesomely (it should for the price) and won't harm beloved fescue! We have had great success with this product - just head down to Middlebrook Pike in K-Town at Lesco and get you a high dollar bottle and nail it with 2 pre-M tx's in the spring.

trying 2b organic
08-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Good point. Crabgrass is an annual. Money better spent on pre-em?

F6Hawk
08-31-2004, 04:20 AM
For those of us without a license.... I think I can get MSMA at Lowe's/local COOP, right? What about something to control Nutsedge?

I live in UCLA (The Upper Corner of Lower Alabama), and have two types of grass... bermuda in front, and centipede in back. I know MSMA won't kill the bermuda, but it WILL kill centipede, right? What can I use to get rid of crabgrass in centipede?

Will atrazine & simazine work on crabgrass as a pre-emergent? I have only been working on this lawn for a year, the previous owner did nothing to it. I plan on spraying atrazine this fall and winter to knock down the weeds for next year.

Also have some sort of weed that id prevalant in this area, it looks almost like a Mimosa tree, very thick stem if allowed to grow high. Anyone recognize this without a pic? If so, what to treat with in centipede or bermuda areas?

Thanks in advance!

Aleman
08-31-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by walker-talker
Both are good advice, but msma will harm fescue. Lesco sells a product called Drive 75F, but its $100 for 16oz, but that will treat a lot when spot spraying.

We spray MSMA on fescue all the time. No problems...

SCAG POWER
08-31-2004, 08:19 AM
Well down here in florida we can't afford no fancy treatment for such things.We use Arm&Hamer baking soda, that's rite just wet down the area then applie to it in a few days the crab grass will turn brown and die.

We do have lesco stores down her, but why pay pay an arm & leg for some thing when all it takes is a little baking soda.

Will not harm St. Aug but it will kill the other dead, takes a few days though.:cool: payup payup payup

John Gamba
08-31-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by F6Hawk
For those of us without a license.... I think I can get MSMA at Lowe's/local COOP, right? What about something to control Nutsedge?

I live in UCLA (The Upper Corner of Lower Alabama), and have two types of grass... bermuda in front, and centipede in back. I know MSMA won't kill the bermuda, but it WILL kill centipede, right? What can I use to get rid of crabgrass in centipede?

Will atrazine & simazine work on crabgrass as a pre-emergent? I have only been working on this lawn for a year, the previous owner did nothing to it. I plan on spraying atrazine this fall and winter to knock down the weeds for next year.

Also have some sort of weed that id prevalant in this area, it looks almost like a Mimosa tree, very thick stem if allowed to grow high. Anyone recognize this without a pic? If so, what to treat with in centipede or bermuda areas?

Thanks in advance!

Go to home depo and look at Ortho Weed be gone for crabgrass and nutgrass.
John

F6Hawk
08-31-2004, 11:14 AM
I am assuming that since we have slightly acidic soil, and I have added lime this year, that baking soda will have the same benificial effect of lowering the Ph?

Also, will it harm either Bermuda or Centipede lawns? Cuz I have crabgrass that is patchy in the bermuda, but it covers a large area of the backyard, and abuts the centipede, which I love, and don't want to inhibit its progress.

Thanks for the advice, I just found the site last night, and stayed up until 4 in the morning reading it!! I will soon be posting asking about lawnmower advice, I want to replace my Wal-Mart special with something a tad better.

F6Hawk
08-31-2004, 01:21 PM
OOPS!!! I just found the homeowner forum, can a moderator/admin please move my posts from here to there, before I have to don my NASA flame suit? Sorry for putting this in the wrong spot, I just got excited when I saw the crabgrass topic.

Thanks!

F6Hawk

I am assuming that since we have slightly acidic soil, and I have added lime this year, that baking soda will have the same benificial effect of lowering the Ph?

Also, will it harm either Bermuda or Centipede lawns? Cuz I have crabgrass that is patchy in the bermuda, but it covers a large area of the backyard, and abuts the centipede, which I love, and don't want to inhibit its progress.

Thanks for the advice, I just found the site last night, and stayed up until 4 in the morning reading it!! I will soon be posting asking about lawnmower advice, I want to replace my Wal-Mart special with something a tad better.

John Gamba
08-31-2004, 03:56 PM
OOPS!!! I just found the homeowner forum, can a moderator/admin please move my posts from here to there, before I have to don my NASA flame suit? Sorry for putting this in the wrong spot, I just got excited when I saw the crabgrass topic.

Thanks!

F6Hawk

Dont worry:eek: The fertilizer guys and gals dont bite:cool:
John

F6Hawk
08-31-2004, 04:55 PM
Dont worry:eek: The fertilizer guys and gals dont bite:cool:
John

Well, great! I love to hear that I can talk among the pros without fear of instant cyber death! ;)

Just did not want to pollute the forum with questions that I am sure are either silly to the folks here, or their answers are beyond me, cuz I can't get the chemicals they recommend. Sounds like I will be giving the baking soda trick a try, never heard that one before! If that doesn't do the trick, then MSMA it will be.

I can find Atrazine locally, for use on centipede (or dormant bermuda), but any idea where I can find simazine (sp)? I was told it is ok to use on active bermuda to control weeds. If so, what will it get rid of, that 2,4D will not?

Thanks!
Dave

John Gamba
08-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Well, great! I love to hear that I can talk among the pros without fear of instant cyber death! ;)

Just did not want to pollute the forum with questions that I am sure are either silly to the folks here, or their answers are beyond me, cuz I can't get the chemicals they recommend. Sounds like I will be giving the baking soda trick a try, never heard that one before! If that doesn't do the trick, then MSMA it will be.

I can find Atrazine locally, for use on centipede (or dormant bermuda), but any idea where I can find simazine (sp)? I was told it is ok to use on active bermuda to control weeds. If so, what will it get rid of, that 2,4D will not?

Thanks!
Dave

Just DONT go into the cellar With Charles LOLOLOLOL:nono: :nono:

Talstar
09-02-2004, 12:24 AM
John can I come over & tune-up your lawn?? You cant be too far from us. You are in CT yes ???

John Gamba
09-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Talstar
John can I come over & tune-up your lawn?? You cant be too far from us. You are in CT yes ???

By the airport
John

khutch
09-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SCAG POWER
Well down here in florida we can't afford no fancy treatment for such things.We use Arm&Hamer baking soda, that's rite just wet down the area then applie to it in a few days the crab grass will turn brown and die.

Kind of curious - what do you subsitute for "fancy treatments" like fertilizer???

F6Hawk
09-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by khutch
Kind of curious - what do you subsitute for "fancy treatments" like fertilizer???

That would be a mix of brown sugar, baking powder, and eggs. Whip all ingredients together until the mix is frothy....

F6Hawk
09-04-2004, 03:44 AM
Baking soda, eh? Well, it DOES kill... the bermuda! And it kills the crabgrass to a lesser degree. I applied it selectively to problem croppings of crabgrass, and the bermuda around it was the first thing to go. Here's hoping it will bounce back fast....

Got some MSMA and applied it today, will see how it does against the crabby stuff.

F6

Originally posted by SCAG POWER

We do have lesco stores down her, but why pay pay an arm & leg for some thing when all it takes is a little baking soda.

Will not harm St. Aug but it will kill the other dead, takes a few days though.:cool: payup payup payup