PDA

View Full Version : Dethatching during the summer?

gscone
07-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi folks, was wondering whether I can possibly start to dethatch at this moment. Temps are generally around 80-85 during the daytime. We have KBG which we sodded last year and it turned out great, but I notice there is quite a bit of thatch build up just by raking the grass. BTW- There are no visible signs of thatch, just when raking, quite a bit comes out. Let me know..Thx!!

GC

ince8728
07-23-2004, 11:43 AM
wait until late august or early september........ september would be better because it it a little cooler outside

walker-talker
07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Cooler is better, but are you sure you even need to de-thatch? Doesn't sound like you have a problem.

fga
07-23-2004, 03:59 PM
gscone,
I've only done that a few times over the years, and wound up with weeds! I'd wait until the fall or early spring when you can thatch and put the crabgrass preventer down.

where are you in NYC? haven't seen anyone from around here on this site? I'm in Staten Island, have done alittle bit of work in Brooklyn, but not much.

gscone
08-03-2004, 02:38 PM
THanks for the info. I'll wait till Spetember to dethatch and overseed. Do you guys recommend dethatching and aerating at the same time, then fertilize and seed?

FGA- I reside on LI.

GC

Doster's L & L
08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Definitely wait till fall like you already stated. You'll be ok to dethatch and plug aerate back to back and yes, you can seed and fert following aerating with no problems. You especially want to wait till sept to do the dethatch and aerate since you plan to seed. The seed will fall into the holes and from there, they will germinate quicker since the seed will attain more moisture, more seed to soil contact, and receive ample sunlight from being in the hole. Several on here will say i'm wrong, but i know i'm right! Hope this helps.

gscone
08-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanx Doster......Can i seed and apply dimension after the dethatching and aerating? If no, How long should I wait to apply the dimension?

GC

Mgardner
08-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Dead dry, thatch build-up can also choke off a lot of oxygen and nutrients in thick irrigated turf. We are going ahead with dethatching while its dry , as soon as it cools off. Then in September go back and seed. There`s a lot of time from now till then to let customers lawn sit and look worse than their neighbors. In these cases they are four or five years out with only aeration in fall . Dethatch, slow release fert, irrigate and BAM! ,back to being green. Any others pro-summer dethatching ? Case in point, I am tine rake dethatching NOT power raking down to nothing. Just giving it some air and getting the fert down to the root base.

tiedeman
08-03-2004, 06:58 PM
yup you need to wait. Dethatching puts your lawn until stress for 20- 30 days. So doing it during the hottest part of the year is not a good idea

CharlieBingo
08-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Aerate instead, I really believe de-thatching cool season grasses does more damage than good.

Doster's L & L
08-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Charlie has a good point about thatching the cool season grasses. I think i'd dethatch with the spring dethatcher instead of the power rake. Plus, it's good to leave a little bit of thatch anyway. Just as long as it's 1/4" or less, it should be ok.

The dimension label will have instructions on how long you should wait before applying to newly seeded turf. I'd wait till the next growing season before putting it down. Let the roots grow before ya start pruning them. You can apply most POST emerge products after the 3rd mowing. Hope this helps.

Frank2
08-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Dethatch/Aerate/Overseed/Fertilize.....................95% of my customers would probably fall over and die when I hit them with that bill.

gscone
08-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Doster-- Thanks for the input.

Anyone here from the LY/LI area?

At what consistent day temp's should I aerate and overseed?

GC