PDA

View Full Version : Tow Behind Aerator?

eshreve1234
07-23-2004, 11:16 AM
What are the pros/cons of a tow behind aerator versus a dedicated machine?

imograss
07-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Tow behind
Pro's = faster, less backbreaking, costs a little less to purchase (in some cases), less maintenance
Con's+= must have a machine strong enough to pull it, takes up more trailer space

Walk behind
Pro's= can be maneuvered into tight areas, takes less trailer space
Con's = IF IT AIN'T A SPLIT DRUM, YOU WILL KNOW YOU USED IT AT THE END OF THE DAY, an extra piece of equipment to maintain that will set dormant more than it will be used, more wearable parts.

I have the 48" Lesco pull behind, it works great and gas the split drum. I rent the w/b when I need to .

brucec32
07-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Depending on the size lawns you're aerating, and how much of that work you do, you might find a setup that included a walk behind aerator and an affordable tow one to be ideal. You'll need the smaller one for sure to reach some spots, the bigger one pays for itself with much increased productivity. Good used wb aerators are around $1,000, tow behinds are harder to find used but new ones range from $200 to $2000 or more. I had a cheapo tow one and with enough weight on it it did a pretty good job if you made two passes. Still faster than a wb.