PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Home Park Bid

dkarol
07-23-2004, 06:20 PM
We have the opportunity to bid on an approximately 440 lot Manufactured (Mobile) Home park to be cut, string-trimmed and blown every week on the same day (Thursday). Plenty of small (low) trees, shrubs, "close" walk ways - real tight places. Also a "Common" area with pool, office, restroom/shower, play and recreation areas - about a city block in size. Since we've never cut anything close to this (residential only before), I NEED SOME INPUT - PLEASE! I'm thinking 3 guys on mowers (52", 42" and 36" ZTR's), 2 guys trimming and 1 guy blowing can "probably" do the job in one 8 or 9 hour day. Any ideas of how to win the bid and not loose our shirts? (We're in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware) -Thanks-:confused:

jbell113
07-23-2004, 07:17 PM
R u only going to use the 5 workers one day a week?

dkarol
07-23-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm afraid so, however; they are available and have some experience on the equipment I intend to use.

Meg-Mo
07-23-2004, 08:53 PM
We get $2.00 per unit plus $50.00 and we are making good money.

dkarol
07-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks for your input, but my costs for labor is rather high here and I really don't think I'd be making enough to cover the man hours and "equipment hours", let alone make a profit for the company if I used your method of calculation. Six guys (and equipment) for 8 to 9 hours. Even McD's pays around $8.00/hr to start and up to $10+/hr for experience in a resort area like this. In fact, they import European workers here every summer and there are still plenty of jobs going unfilled. I was actually thinking in the neighborhood of $1,700.00 per cut. Do you guys think that is way out of line? This job is even hard on the mowers, since it is "constant" start, stop and turn in these tight areas. I'm also required to carry Workman's Comp even though this job is scheduled for one day a week and all other work is residential and we could get away with liability insurance only.

bladeheart
07-23-2004, 11:58 PM
1,700 sound high my area, however if you can get it that would be awesome.

qualitylandscaping
07-24-2004, 12:14 AM
$1700-2200 depending on exact size

lawnman_scott
07-24-2004, 12:31 AM
I would go on the high side. When its wet you will have 440 rednecks or senior citizens complaining about grass sticking to their trailer, depending on what kind of park it is. If its a 55+ park, and its not wet, you will have 440 people finding something else to complain about.

LwnmwrMan22
07-24-2004, 01:09 AM
You have to mow each lot?

I do one here in MN, but it's only an 80 home park and I just do the common areas and plow it, $400 / month, year-round.

I've mowed lots in the park for people for $10 / cut, but they have to move everything off of the grass (toys, boats etc.).

crawdad
07-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Are you liscensed to spray? Because a string trimmer will eat right through the underpinning of a trailer. (Mobile home)
Crawdad

jestermg
07-24-2004, 09:34 AM
I mow a 193 unit park and I have found the best insurance to defray complaints is to use a mulcer!

BEfore I had the mulcher I was constanly argueing with people about rocks thru windows, hitting cars, and blowing through underpinning. Not only that but, complaints about grass sticking all over their cars, underpinning, etc etc.

Also, the owner of the park (my parents) spray roundup around the trailers, trees, etc etc.

Takes me 4 hours to mow it and I get paid 200$ family discount.

dkarol
07-24-2004, 09:45 AM
No, no spray license, but I've already asked that the management recommend to each owner/tenant that they use Round Up™ or similar around the skirting and any other places we WILL not cut with the trimmer. Here is a portion of our Proposal.

Grass Mowing once per week during the growth season and as needed at other times. The number of cuts will not exceed 28 throughout the length of the contract. This service will include string trimming (not to include long grass or weeds closer than two inches from the home skirting or in other unusual, dangerous or extremely difficult areas*) and blowing of grass cutting debris from concreted or asphalted areas. Homeowners and/or ******r Village must provide reasonable access to the areas they wish to be mowed. Lawn furniture, lawn ornaments, vehicles, bicycles, toys, etc. will not be moved by ALL AMERICAN GREEN, LLC personnel. Common areas will be cut, trimmed and edged and grass cutting debris blown from around pool, office, pavilion and restroom/shower areas. Normal cutting time “should” be one full day. However, ALL American Green, LLC reserves the right to lengthen or shorten this time due to any circumstances, such as; but not limited to: weather, number of personnel available, catastrophic equipment failure, etc.
*It is recommended that homeowners/tenants use Round Up™ or similar herbicide to control growth in “difficult” places listed above.

Albemarle Lawn
07-24-2004, 03:00 PM
8 Hours 52" @ $60 hr = 480
8 Hours 42" @ $55 hr = 440
8 hours 36" @ $55 hr = 440
8 hours trimmer @ $36 = 288
8 hours trimmer @ $36 = 288
8 hours blower @ $38 = 304

TOTAL $2240/CUT high side

Low side $1800 if they are not picky and pay promptly w/o hassle.

PMLAWN
07-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Albemarle--Do you charge different rates for different equipment?

Albemarle Lawn
07-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Cheapest: Man + shovel or rake $30/ hour
Highest: Man plus JD1600 WAM $150/ hour

Tvov
07-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by dkarol
I'm also required to carry Workman's Comp even though this job is scheduled for one day a week and all other work is residential and we could get away with liability insurance only.

Where you are, you are not required to have workman's comp for your employees on residential properties? In CT, if you have an employee(s), you must have workman's comp, doesn't matter where you are working.

P.S. I used to go to Rehobeth years ago, went with friends who would rent a condo. We would go to the Ocean City boardwalk at night. Fun times as a teenager.

dkarol
07-24-2004, 09:47 PM
What I meant was that I could "get away" with not having Workman's Comp. If it were just my son and myself and maybe some "day workers" on residentials. ¿Comprende Señor?

PS: Yes, I came here for a vacation over 20 years ago and decided this was the state for me to live in. Property taxes here are rediculously low. I could probably sell my home pretty quick for better than $600k right now and I only pay $715/yr in property taxes AND we don't have sales tax either! Additionally, the beach/boardwalk is just 7 minutes away.

dcondon
07-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Good luck doing it in 8 to 9 hours:confused:

Acute Cut
07-25-2004, 01:05 AM
I think that is very reasonable time. I have a 61 unit tp that we do in two hours. We actually only take care of about 55. Some home owners just like doing it themselves. We get 1K a month for that. That is every month all year around. Seems like a good deal to me. So 1K divided by 55= about 18$ per month per trailer. So 440 X18=7920 per month. I would probably bid this at 8K per month all year around. Or if you will, 2K per mow. It will be easy for you if the last guy was just terrible. We are slowly getting ours up to par and they think we are better than geritol. Last guy worked a little every day at it. LOL. 2-2.5 hours and we are done. Soon the grass will be majority dormat so then we will be making mad money on it. WAHOO!

2K and some good customer service skills and smiles. :D