PDA

View Full Version : fertilizer fraud

rmartin
07-23-2004, 07:22 PM
I almost lost it today after i came home from a long day of fertilizing. My neighbor pays a company to apply their fertilizer applcations. Or so they thought. when I pulled in the driveway I noticed the truck parked out in the street. So playing stupid I went over to see what he was using. I looked in his truck (he was out back) What did i see? Bags of childrens play sand. So i walked around the back to ask some questions.
hey how much do you charge. 480.00 per year.
What do you use? All lesco products
How many apps a year? 6
why are you spreading sand? (He almost dropped right there. ) Duh Ah Oh......its good for the soil.......Listen I said. I have been doing lawn maint for 5 years. I have training from a good school and i have my license for this.......He says well ive been doing it for 15 years, I was taught that way. "yeah ripping off people who dont have a clue." He then tells me that I am harrassing him and he will call the cops If I dont leave him alone. Well Sir I said I am a cop so you are out of luck there too. I just left and let him continue spreading his sand. I cannot believe this joker. What a fraud........ Now i normally stay out of other peoples business, but this is just wrong.........

Green Care
07-23-2004, 07:31 PM
That's your neighbors problem they should have hired you.

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 07:35 PM
martin if you're a cop then stick to harrassing traffic violators and making up ficticious charges. leave us, umm, i mean them fertilzer crooks alone.

rmartin
07-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey if your just like him then you dont deserve to be in the business. Thats just a black eye for the hardworking honest companies out there doing the right things....

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 07:45 PM
black eye huh? typical cop, always violent. and of course, you were only defending yourself.........

jim dailey
07-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Stopped at the coffee shop this morning. Had to walk across the parking lot and in between the cars in line at the drive-up window. I walked to the rear of the TGCL pick-up truck, and noticed the bags of fertilizer in the back. I went in, got my coffee, and stopped to talk to the 2 gentlemen who had parked to have their coffee. I asked why they had Lesco and Scott's products in the rear of the truck, along with several bags of play sand. All I got was "Have a Nice Day," and off they went. Makes you wonder.

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 07:59 PM
cat litter works too

locutus
07-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Bobby, you seem to have had some bad experiences with the police. Care to illaborate? sp.

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 08:02 PM
sure, anyone care to hear? you wouldn't believe me anyhow

jpmako
07-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Lets hear it bob
I need a good laugh

SouthernFried
07-23-2004, 08:37 PM
I would never even have thought to use sand.

I mean, you gotta go buy the sand and spread it...why not just use fertilizer...same amount of work.

Sure, you'll make a coupla extra bucks because sand is cheaper than good Lesco fertilizer...but, christ, don't they think anyone will notice?

Those damn Spray applications sometimes seem to be more water than anything else too.

I mean, if you use good fertilizer, you sure as hell don't need 4-8 applications per year of the stuff. If you used mostly water tho...

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 09:16 PM
this is what i like: towards the end of the season, when the nutsedge will dissapear on its own, you sell nutsedge treatments. but, there really isn't anything in the tank, except straight water :angel: . but, no body knows. you charge $45 a gallon to spray the water, and tell them the sedge will die in 2 to 3 weeks. behold, in 2 weeks it turns colors, and in 3-4 it's gone. you look like a genius!!

1MajorTom
07-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Bobby,
How do you sleep at night?

snippy
07-23-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm sure the customers will be very happy with their "sand man" after all I can guarantee he would have furnished them with the cheapest quotation.

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 09:22 PM
jodi, i sleep quite well thank you. i can prove it.....

Norm Al
07-23-2004, 09:23 PM
why would anybody care if their lawn looks good! if it looks good and the customer is happy with his service, i would say it isnt anybodys business!

dvmcmrhp52
07-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Norm Al
why would anybody care if their lawn looks good! if it looks good and the customer is happy with his service, i would say it isnt anybodys business!

So fraud is ok to promote in our industry?
Hmmm...................

bobbygedd
07-23-2004, 09:32 PM
you show me a businessman, who is 100% honest, and a real nice guy, and i'll show you a broke man. if u aint a little dishonest, then you are ALOT dishonest. if you are niether, you be workin for minimum wage. you can take THAT, to the bank

NNJLandman
07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Well no one is perfect in this world, we can all admit that, we have all done something a little dishonest, but there is a difference between being truely dishonest and lets say "accidently" dishonest. Such as the man spreading sand, saying that it is fertizler, now these people are thinking they are paying for fert but are getting sand, now thats a rip off, its like paying for top soil but getting dirt. My father is a local cop and seems to know who is a good guy and who isn't someone you would want to deal with.

Jeff

Norm Al
07-23-2004, 09:47 PM
personally i would NEVER intentionally defraud someone,,,,,but a contract for spray service typically does not outline what is being applied!

to defraud someone you would have to say "i am putting down 300 lbs of fert" and then only put down sand! how would any of us know what the guy told his customer?

most bags of fertiliser are mostly sand,,,,,,so i guess ALL fert guys are frauds?

locutus
07-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
you show me a businessman, who is 100% honest, and a real nice guy, and i'll show you a broke man. if u aint a little dishonest, then you are ALOT dishonest. if you are niether, you be workin for minimum wage. you can take THAT, to the bank Do you apply this philosophy to dishonest policemen as well? There is more justice at the end of a night-stick than there is in the entire supreme court.

specialtylc
07-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Maybe he wasnt fertilizing, he was doing a top dressing. That would make you guys out to look like the fools.

tom sumter
07-23-2004, 09:55 PM
you show me a businessman, who is 100% honest, and a real nice guy, and i'll show you a broke man. if u aint a little dishonest, then you are ALOT dishonest. if you are niether, you be workin for minimum wage. you can take THAT, to the bank

You show me a businessman who applies sand instead of fertilizer, or a businessman who charges to spray water on weeds that will die regardless, and I'll show you a criminal and a cheat.

If you sleep fine at night, you have some problems.

rmartin
07-23-2004, 10:02 PM
there are criminals, and frauds in all types of industries and professions, however it's the blatent ones that give these us bad names. You name the profession you have'em. bobbygedd if you've had issues with police before does that make all of them bad. To you they might but they are not. If you have to live by ripping people off it;s no wonder you dont like the law......you must see them alot

barringtonbrothers
07-23-2004, 10:10 PM
It always seems to me those who dont like the police are almost always those who dont think the laws apply to them. Life isnt fair, some people get away with murder, that doesnt mean it makes it right for any one else to do wrong. I would rather be embarrased by honesty than caught in a lie.

grasswhacker
07-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
Maybe he wasnt fertilizing, he was doing a top dressing. That would make you guys out to look like the fools.

I wonder how many "topdressing" gigs he had that day.

tiedeman
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
I can't believe he used sand. Well, contact your number and tell them. Then you have a new customer

LwnmwrMan22
07-24-2004, 01:15 AM
I agree with Specialty, too many people on here jump to conclusions.

A light layer of sand will help with drainage.

Lbilawncare
07-24-2004, 02:36 AM
I have never heard of spreading sand instead of fertilizer. Around here they just flag and bag and don't even bother to pretend or waste time spreading sand. If they know you're not home and your lawn looks good your paying for them $35 for a 10 cent flag and 10 cent invoice.

Richard Martin
07-24-2004, 04:45 AM
I think I'll stick to cutting grass. There is way too much deceit involved in a bag of fertilizer.

Movinfr8
07-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Reel 'em in, Bobby, ya gots 'em hook, line and sinker!!
Norm

SodKing
07-24-2004, 09:40 AM
I am going to admit it...I spread sand!.....................on my golf green right after I verticut it last week.

Gene $immons
07-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Kitty litter Bobby?.....Hmmmmmmm

J/K

moneyman
07-25-2004, 03:06 AM
Ok if anyone walks up on me asking dumb questions i would tell them to take a walk cop or not.How do you know if the guy had the sand in his truck from a prior job or bought it to fill his kids sandbox?
A similar story a Captain at the Sheriffs Dept. where i worked once was arrested for Public intox and then demoted down to Deputy for trying to use his posistion to get out of trouble.

Sean Adams
07-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Here's my opinion....

1. Everyone in this industry is a tad bit curious about their competition, which explains walking up to the truck....

2. Approaching him is your call

3. Very possible (first thing I thought) was he was applying sand to aide with a drainage issue

4. If he was intentionally ripping them off (may never know), then that is bad business, period.

5. Bobby is messin around

lawnman_scott
07-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Sean Adams
Here's my opinion....

1. Everyone in this industry is a tad bit curious about their competition, which explains walking up to the truck....

2. Approaching him is your call

3. Very possible (first thing I thought) was he was applying sand to aide with a drainage issue

4. If he was intentionally ripping them off (may never know), then that is bad business, period.

5. Bobby is messin around
6. Bobby made the thread worth reading.

geogunn
07-25-2004, 10:24 AM
if bob worked in the kitchen of a restaurant preparing food.......

would you want to take you family there for a meal?

the question just came to mind....

GEO :confused:

EastProLawn
07-25-2004, 11:03 AM
cat litter works too LOL :D Bobby, where do you come up with this stuff...........still LOL :D

Acute Cut
07-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Hmmmm. I think in the rules and such that is called "baiting". I guess it is ok for bobby to do. hmmmm.

Honesty and integrity get noticed. I may not be the biggest guy in my town, but everyone knows me or of me. I am that "nice guy" and so on. I aint perfect, but i have a good name. My dad always told me to keep my word and protect it. "If you dont have your word then you dont got nothing." True true.

In the end, God will judge.

Liberty Lawncare
07-25-2004, 03:36 PM
this is what i like: towards the end of the season, when the nutsedge will dissapear on its own, you sell nutsedge treatments. but, there really isn't anything in the tank, except straight water :angel: . but, no body knows. you charge $45 a gallon to spray the water, and tell them the sedge will die in 2 to 3 weeks. behold, in 2 weeks it turns colors, and in 3-4 it's gone. you look like a genius!!

Dam you are a but hole! Sell it when people need it so you solve the problem. Now I know why lots of your posts are wineing about customers. The customers should wine about you. Sleeze bag well what do I expect from you. I used to think you were funny well now I know better.:angry:

Liberty Lawncare
07-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Liberty Lawncare
Dam you are a but hole! Sell it when people need it so you solve the problem. Now I know why lots of your posts are wineing about customers. The customers should wine about you. Sleeze bag well what do I expect from you. I used to think you were funny well now I know better.:angry:

No way :eek:

Many areas have problems with hard clay soil. Aeration and spreading sand can help relive soil compaction and aid in drainage.

pcnservices
07-25-2004, 04:45 PM
you show me a businessman, who is 100% honest, and a real nice guy, and i'll show you a broke man.
this is what i like: towards the end of the season, when the nutsedge will dissapear on its own, you sell nutsedge treatments. but, there really isn't anything in the tank, except straight water . but, no body knows. you charge $45 a gallon to spray the water, and tell them the sedge will die in 2 to 3 weeks. behold, in 2 weeks it turns colors, and in 3-4 it's gone. you look like a genius!!
cat litter works too
So Bobby, you are a VERY rich man, huh?
These type of practices are criminologic IMO. If you can BS people in this way then you can steal from them as well.

Have to agree with you though. You're right! You LOOK like a genius, you are not one yet.

bob
07-25-2004, 04:52 PM
One of my neighbors, had his brother aerate and seed his lawn one fall. He then proceeded to cover the entire lawn with 2-3 inches of sand. It looked like a beach all fall. Then by spring, the sand had worked it way into the soil and the lawn looked great. Maybe top dressing the lawn with sand was part of the program.

Precision
07-25-2004, 09:50 PM
top dressing by the fert guy. I really doubt it. Using a broadcast spreader. I don't think so. Did the guy have over 100 50# bags of sand, if not he wasn't top dressing. what is 1/16th inch of sand out of a spreader going to do anyway?

IMO he was using that as a trick on the lawns that he thinks are watched or when the people are home, the other ones get the park and flag treatment.

Bobby is a dope just trying to get a rise out of you people. Unfortuantely it works.

Do an honest days work and go out of your way to make sure people notice and are aware. That makes a good business grow. Also don't be ruled by the rule of one. as in one guy screwed me once when I did that so never again. No matter what you do you will get bit occasionally.

Live by the law of large numbers. as in I have 50 accts and one got over on me, learn how and move on. Bobby and his shovel make for poor business and eventually you will run out of new suckers.

bobbygedd
07-31-2004, 11:57 PM
well, i just want to thank you boys for the kind words. i thought you were a little brighter than to believe that i would apply cat litter, or straight water, but hey, i'm the fool for believing a mindless lawnboy would be able to tell the difference between obvious humor and an act of pure deception. thank you liberty, and i thought we were pals. i'm hurt man

bobbygedd
07-31-2004, 11:59 PM
ok, it took some time, but i'm over it

Gene $immons
08-01-2004, 12:40 AM
bobby,

who has the best deals on cat litter?

I'm going shopping tomorrow.

Thanks,
Gene

bobbygedd
08-01-2004, 06:12 AM
supermarket. definitely don't get it at a pet store

Ray & Karen
08-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Mr. Gedd,

I love it...as always enjoyable reading.

CuttingCrew
08-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks bobby,
You make reading these posts fun as well as educational!!!

bobbygedd
08-01-2004, 10:14 AM
yea huh, beats the hell out of hanging out with these crybaby "professionals". stick with me kid, you'll be wearing carrots the size of diamonds