PDA

View Full Version : Inclosed trailer or no

PhilipMoon
07-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi guys. This is my first posting!!!! Yeeeeha!!!!

I'm just starting out in this business. What's everyones take on inclosed trailers (Pace American Summit) verses open air?? I'm buying a new house in the Charlotte NC area and my thought was if I had an inclosed trailer, I would'nt need to build a polebarn to keep my gear out of the weather. I could just work on my mowers in the garage.

Are these trailers too much of a pain to pull around? Other than the price (I've got the bucks!) what would be some drawbacks?

Thoughts?

EastTnLC
07-23-2004, 09:18 PM
I think it would be a good investment(weather wise) Plus you would have a little more security. If your truck can pull it I dont see why not. It would look even better if you got your logo put on it and lettered. Thats just my opinion. But Yeah I would go for it! Good luck

jim dailey
07-24-2004, 07:06 PM
I have a 20' enclosed trailer that I built. I live in the northeast, with the snowy winters, but I go to Florida for the entire winter. I pack the trailer chock full with my equipment for the winter. I leave it here in the N.E. while I am in Florida. Equipment is safe and dry for the duration. Everything is right there for the spring, once I come back. I just start everything up for the season, and off I go to work. It is just great.

txlawnking
07-24-2004, 10:17 PM
It was pricey compared to an open trailer, but I love my enclosed 6x12'.. The only drawback I can think of is fueling the equipment can sometimes be difficult ( not usually ) and all of my machines need to be electric start, Wouldn't want to yank a ripcord in there.

PhilipMoon
07-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Should be no problem pulling the trailer. My partner and I will be driving Ford F350 Diesel super crew cabs. What's everyone take on the Summit brand?

2k1yzfr1
07-25-2004, 08:59 PM
I have a 8x20 summit and can honestly say it's the best thing I have ever bought. I wanted a 22' car hauler, but by the time I added all the extras the summit has it was close to a grand more. If you order a summit have them install 2 of the 12"x12" fuel doors on the drivers side and you can stick the fuel hose through those and fill up all your mowers. They take some getting used to pulling around town, just make sure you have your towing mirrors slid out and watch the low hanging limbs over the road.

Duron22
09-05-2004, 11:18 PM
It was pricey compared to an open trailer, but I love my enclosed 6x12'.. The only drawback I can think of is fueling the equipment can sometimes be difficult ( not usually ) and all of my machines need to be electric start, Wouldn't want to yank a ripcord in there.

electric start:
that is definetly something that i wouldnt think of... thanks for the idea

joe

selnoil
09-06-2004, 08:56 AM
We've got a 16' enclosed. I debated which way to go, since I do have a place we could put equipment undercover, and decided to start with a used enclosed. That was the way to go, no regrats at all!!!!!!!!! All your tools and equipment will be with you all the time, everything is under cover and you don't need to unload the stuff every night to put it undercover when your already tired :sleeping: , on a job you can just lock everything up easily if you need to go get something, and there are many more good reasons but one of my most favorite and noticed is the bill board affect. You'll have a rolling bill board going through the streets. Most people will not notice the magnetic sign on a trucks door but they can't miss your full sized sign on the trailer :) .

Good luck,
Mike :waving:

Eric 1
09-06-2004, 12:51 PM
I am also debating this,

I think for me i will get an open again because,
I haul brush/trash
haul cars
less wind drag (better mpg)
i already have racks for an open instead of buying new ones
I like the billboard affect of the enclosed, but if you got an open with lots of equipment on it, they get the idea.
I have a place shop to park the trailer in
fueling is lots easier
not to mention its half the price.

Eric 1
09-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I guess the only advantage i see to the enclosed is the security.

dcondon
09-06-2004, 04:31 PM
one bad thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

summer heat and dog poop on the tires :angry:

Hamons
09-07-2004, 11:03 AM
I couldn't decide between the two so I am having a trailer made for me that is 18' long made out of 5" channel. It will have a 6' enclodesd area on the front and 12' open area on the back. It will have 7,000#axles, 8 lug wheels and 16" tires. It will have a heavy duty 4' gate on the back, a side ramp opn the encloded area and 3' reoveable sides.

The best of both worlds. Should get it within a couple weeks.

Eric 1
09-07-2004, 12:43 PM
I couldn't decide between the two so I am having a trailer made for me that is 18' long made out of 5" channel. It will have a 6' enclodesd area on the front and 12' open area on the back. It will have 7,000#axles, 8 lug wheels and 16" tires. It will have a heavy duty 4' gate on the back, a side ramp opn the encloded area and 3' reoveable sides.

The best of both worlds. Should get it within a couple weeks.

Hey, that sounds cool.