PDA

View Full Version : Proper Fertilizing etiquette

way to grow
07-23-2004, 08:51 PM
When you guys get to a lawn what do you usually do? Do you go straight to the back gate and start spraying or do you inform the customer that you have arrived first? I've heard some companies will just knock on the door and then get started. Sorry for the lame question, but I was just curious to what I should be doing myself.

Thanks for your replies.

cantoo
07-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Fertilizing we don't but for spraying we do. We walk the property first to make sure windows are closed, no toys or crap in the way and of course no birthday party in the backyard either. If things aren't right we drive away and come back another day. I don't need the hassle. On customers that are always a problem with crap laying around we call and tell them what day we are coming.

James Cormier
07-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Its good practice to knock on the door first to let them know you are there.

That way if you at the wrong house or the customer dosnt want you there you will know before you are half way through the app

TSM
07-24-2004, 11:06 AM
I insist my guys knock first. Just a curtesy. Most times if somebody is home it is the Mrs and we dont want them wondering who the heck is on the property.

Also 90% of the time if something like toys are on the lawn they will pick them up if they know we are there.

Great time for customer relations, friendly smile, a 'hows it goin', quick and percise...not a social visit. We'll tell them we will leave the invoice at the door when we are done some will write a check as the lawn is getting done.

After a while you get to know which doors to knock on and which homes have noone home.

Now, truth be told, i am the biggest breaker of this rule.I insist the guys do this....i dont always do it myself.

PS- (for Lawnservice) who post here from time to time and works for me.....do as i say, not as i do! :)

Green Dreams
07-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Absolutely you knock first.... That is one thing that will make you better than the Big Guys...

DUSTYCEDAR
07-24-2004, 01:54 PM
if i knocked up on all the old folks doors i would never get anything done
i have some that want to show u everyweed that poped up since last visit
if i show up and the kids r out i make them go in and if not i come back latter but i know when to stop and when to skip or i ask when the will be on vacation and do it then

lawnservice
07-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TSM
Now, truth be told, i am the biggest breaker of this rule.I insist the guys do this....i dont always do it myself.

PS- (for Lawnservice) who post here from time to time and works for me.....do as i say, not as i do! :)

I guess owners have some privileges ??:rolleyes:

Old folks are the worst. Besides walking the lawn with you looking for that ONE weed they saw last week but cant seem to remember exactly where it is they also want to tell you about the old days when they were young. I got no problem with old folks, i hope to be one myself someday, but i got no time for their loneliness.

But....easy enough to deal with this issue. "dont worry, mrs old person, I'll be walking over every square inch of the lawn, I'll be sure to get that weed for you" and "I know, times sure have changed, its a rat race now-a-days. speaking of rat race...I got to get to work...hopefully on my next visit i'll have more time to chat with you...i'm sure you understand"

Yeah, we are expected to knock on all doors before we service that property, I think its a good policy (I have to say that...TSM is watching:angel: )

Pilgrims' Pride
07-24-2004, 04:17 PM
I knock on doors when there is obviously someone home.
Other than that, the days are to short to chit chat.

Brody11
07-25-2004, 12:03 AM
If the door is open I knock. Otherwise I tip toe around, If you want to get anything done you have to get out of there. As a courtesy I will sometime flag the back near the door in case the kids are home and come out later.

trying 2b organic
07-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Ask them at signup if they want a call before you come. I little notation could be put and quick calls could be made the day/evening before, good time to upsell also, easier to let them go and note waist time when you get to property.