PDA

View Full Version : Well Envy, you got me beat by 8 deg.

Eric 1
07-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Yep, i got one of those angle finders to day and took it with me. The steepest hill i was on was 27 deg. And that was about all i can do. The mower may do just a hair more but not much, and me, i was to scared to go any further.

You are one brave man to go an a hill thats 35 deg.

Oh, you guys need to get one of these things, those hills will fool you, they are not as steep as they look.

btw, for all you Dixie hatters it was a Dixie chopper with the 50'' deck.:p so smoke that.!!!!:cool:

Hope you see this Envy Lawn.

Later.

ken50
07-23-2004, 10:49 PM
What is an angle finder?

Eric 1
07-23-2004, 10:57 PM
You place the base on a surface and the needle points straight up.

ken50
07-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Where did you get it? I have a place I do that I would love to find out the angle on!

Eric 1
07-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Local building supply or wal-mart.

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Bear in mind that the device will discern only the angle of the ground covered by the base. The longer the base (or the greater the portion of the slope covered by the base), the more accurate the depiction is of the angle.

I'd keep a long plank handy if I was to use that kind of thing. Might be good to have on hand for estimates as I could find out quickly whether I could handle a job with a particular mower.

Eric 1
07-24-2004, 10:34 AM
I did use it with a 4 ft pice of 2x4, sorry, i should have said that.

I wish he would log on.

Bump.

Eric 1
07-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Bump..........................

Kelly's Landscaping
07-25-2004, 08:19 PM
We have had this debate before but what is always left out are the other 2 factors.

Yes #1 is the grade or angle.

But #2 is got to be the height.

And #3 has got to be whatís waiting for me below if I cannot hold the grade.

If were talking a single pass on a very steep hill where the base is nice and level I don't see a problem.

On the other hand if the edge is nothing but a cliff then even 10 degrees is enough to make me think twice.

25% degrees is no big deal either but if that same 25 degrees is a 60-100 foot hillside again the same thoughts go through my mine is this worth the risk.

On the other hand 30 degrees on a 10-15 foot hillside poses little concern if there is no hazard waiting for me below.

I have a grade thatís less then 20 degrees I normaly would not think twice on but with a river waiting for me below I donít even joke about it.

Eric 1
07-25-2004, 10:24 PM
About 50ft hill.

Parking lot at the bottom..........gravel.

Envy Lawn Service
07-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Eric 1

I wish he would log on.

Bump.
I'm here... hold on....

Envy Lawn Service
07-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Yep, i got one of those angle finders to day and took it with me. The steepest hill i was on was 27 deg. And that was about all i can do. The mower may do just a hair more but not much, and me, i was to scared to go any further.
I would say too scared. I'd say too smart to push the limits anymore.
You are one brave man to go an a hill thats 35 deg.[/B]
No there is a difference in bravery and stupidity LOL.
Oh, you guys need to get one of these things, those hills will fool you, they are not as steep as they look.
I would agree 100%!!! Most of the time what people think is the majic 45* we always hear will actually turn out to be 20-25* because when you are on a mower, it really does feel that steep.
btw, for all you Dixie hatters it was a Dixie chopper with the 50'' deck.:p so smoke that.!!!!:cool:
Cool, is that their new version/model... Silver Eagle? Forgive me if I do not have the name right...

Eric 1
07-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service

Cool, is that their new version/model... Silver Eagle? Forgive me if I do not have the name right...

Yep.:cool:

Envy Lawn Service
07-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Kelly's Landscaping
We have had this debate before but what is always left out are the other 2 factors.

Yes #1 is the grade or angle.

But #2 is got to be the height.

And #3 has got to be whatís waiting for me below if I cannot hold the grade.

If were talking a single pass on a very steep hill where the base is nice and level I don't see a problem.

On the other hand if the edge is nothing but a cliff then even 10 degrees is enough to make me think twice.

25% degrees is no big deal either but if that same 25 degrees is a 60-100 foot hillside again the same thoughts go through my mine is this worth the risk.

On the other hand 30 degrees on a 10-15 foot hillside poses little concern if there is no hazard waiting for me below.

I have a grade thatís less then 20 degrees I normaly would not think twice on but with a river waiting for me below I donít even joke about it.
Very good point, words of wisdom, words of advise.

This kind of stuff certainly is not safe. On some mowers it's not even do-able. So a word to the wise is avoid the hills and steer way clear of the ones that pose additional danger.

That's what I'm doing anyways. I found myself starting to avoid placing bids on hilly properties although I really wasn't intending to. So I just started following my instictive avoidance whenever possible.

It's just that in my area you can't avoid them all- all the time. There are too many homes built on the sides of mountains, too many with good property and them one hill, too many badly graded commercial areas, too many steep ditch/road banks, and too many dang commercial spots that create outreagous slopes trying to maximize and get every possible inch of parking space.

Anyways, be safe out there, don't end up a victim of pushing the limits to make a buck on these ZTR's. They are just not designed to be safe on slopes. They are too unpredictable....

Envy Lawn Service
07-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Yep.:cool:
So where's the equipment pics then??? I'd like to see some of the machine. There wasn't too much on the site last time I was over there....