PDA

View Full Version : core aeration- damaged sprinkler

Brody11
07-23-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure if anyone know's this. Who is responsible for damage to sprinkler lines that are only 3" down, Us or the homeowner? As is my policy I usually fix the holes if I make them. Now I have someone holding back the bill for the core and he says I owe him money. He paid alot to have it fixed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

grasswhacker
07-23-2004, 10:35 PM
IMO
sprinkler head- You are
irrigation line--You are not

tiedeman
07-23-2004, 11:13 PM
well, I would tell him that he needs to have the lines redone because they are not deep enough. Surprised he doesn't get frost damage to the lines

lawnman_scott
07-24-2004, 12:02 AM
Did you break it?

Mdirrigation
07-24-2004, 12:13 AM
One break from a core airator is a hour or less repair. At the high end it was a $ 125.00 repair , we would charge about $ 85.00 . You shouldnt be held responsible for a shallow line unless the lines were marked by the homeowner. By industry standards 6 inches is the shallowest depth for lines.

Itsgottobegreen
07-24-2004, 12:30 AM
This is why I give flags to the home owners. They are to mark their own heads, so I am not responable if I hit one. If I hit one, it is because they didn't mark it. Lines are his problem not yours. I have hit one before, the home owner (installed system himself) had it fixed before I even finished the job. He really didn't care.

Brody11
07-25-2004, 12:46 AM
I don't know for sure if I broke them, it was last year. Unless he had another company come in, I probably broke the shallow lines. But, like I said I would have fixed it , but he didn't give me the chance, he just wants me to pay. We blow the lines out in winter around here.

preferredlawn
07-25-2004, 08:33 AM
You should consider an agreement/contract for aerating a lawn, stating that you are not responsible for damage to underground cables, lines, pipes, etc., and get the customer to sign. You should also ask about underground tree stumps, buried rocks, or anything underground that could damage your machine. I have been aerating lawns for about 6 years and have only cut one TV cable, guess I have been lucky!

I also give an explanation, in writing, of what the lawn will look like when I finish, and what the customer should do, lime, fertilize, etc..