PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Truck Shopping!

GrassFearsMe
07-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Man i have had enough of this B.S. truck shopping. Everyone wants top dollar for the hunk of sh!T$ they are selling and the ones with decent trucks want the world for them.

You guys see ebays trucks, all like new and super highmiles, 99 trucks with 250000 miles for $13,000, i mean damn the freaking trucks gonna fall apart. Oh but its diesel yeah but the rest of the truck isn't.

Where are trucks for decent prices with decent miles? Why not buy new b/c i think the $40000 dollar price ticket should be put into buying a new house. Where do you look for good trucks?

Eric 1
07-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Not here, i am having the same problem.

Frank2
07-23-2004, 10:12 PM
I can not agree w/ you more. Going through the same thing myself.
I swear I'm going to sell some of my stocks and invest in diesel trucks.
What ever happened to as soon as you buy a new truck and drive it off the lot it loses 30% of its value.

GrassFearsMe
07-23-2004, 11:19 PM
I just found a great truck on ebay it has only 340,000 miles on it for the low low price of $12500. Great deal right!

Gravel Rat
07-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Don't worry its the same here too people want a high price for a worn out POS. I have been searching for a used truck for awhile now and its sickening that they want big bucks for a old tired truck.

You can buy a gasser truck cheap and it maybe worth suffering with the bad fuel mileage. I can find low kilometerage Ford F-Superdutys with 460 power with a reasonable price tag attached to it.

RedWingsDet
07-24-2004, 12:14 AM
im looking at a 99 ram 3500 reg cab diesel right now, hes asking 14k. could most likely get it cheaper. oh yeah it only has 57k miles. its an awsome work truck. oh yeah its a dully to, and 8ft bed.

Ursushorribilus
07-24-2004, 11:55 AM
You're right, I think, about buying new. I was searching for used NPR's on ebay and truckpaper.com and a few other sites, looking for something a year or two old. Guess what, I went to a dealership and brand new ones were roughly the same price they were asking for used trucks.

Scag48
07-24-2004, 12:48 PM
I had the same problem but a friend of mine was selling his truck about 3 months ago so I snatched up that deal. I ended up with a '00 GMC 2500 w/ 6.0 Vortec (basically an HD, original owner added a leaf spring to the back so he could use his camper) standard cab, SLE (power locks, windows, dual power seats) long box, 4x4, etc with 125K miles on it. I paid $11K for it, not a bad deal I think. Prices here are ridiculous too. When I was shopping, some guy wanted $8500 for a 93 F-250 manual 5 speed with the big 460 in it...YEAH RIGHT. I drove it 50 miles and it burned half a tank of gas. Needless to say I don't think they've sold it yet.

Keith
07-24-2004, 06:03 PM
I got tired of looking for a good used one. I have had real bad luck buying anything used dating way back anyway. The good used ones go for more than new on dealer's lots when you figure in all the rebates and incentives. I found a dealer near Rochester NY that made me a heck of a deal on a new ordered truck, so I did it. It's not loaded up, it's an F350 XL CC 4x4, but it looks pretty good and is not all that stripped looking once I added quite a few options. Price ended up being $8000 under it's $34,790 sticker price. I just didn't want someone else's trouble.

Mdirrigation
07-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Go to repo auctions , government auctions , bring cash. My 1988 ford f350 dually gas with 28,000 original miles cost me $ 700.00 4 years ago . 1993 International diesel low profile ( roll back size truck) 160,000 miles , flat bed , great shape cost me 5 grand last november. The deals are out there , but not when you need or want them , I am usually buying a truck a year or so ahead of when I need it and have a spare sitting there ready to go. Do I have to do some work to them , sure usually no more that 2 or 3 hundred dollars worth. But I have 5 trucks on the road for a whole lot less than 35 grand .

GeoffDiamond
07-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Gravel Rat
Don't worry its the same here too people want a high price for a worn out POS. I have been searching for a used truck for awhile now and its sickening that they want big bucks for a old tired truck.

You can buy a gasser truck cheap and it maybe worth suffering with the bad fuel mileage. I can find low kilometerage Ford F-Superdutys with 460 power with a reasonable price tag attached to it.

Market prices are set by supply and demmand. People either sell those trucks at that price, and if they do that must mean there is a demand for it. As long as people are willing to pay top dollar for a used truck then the current 11K for 100K miles will be the norm. Like it or not that is how it is. The trouble is selling a used vehicle is a pain no 2 ways around it. If i was going to go through the trouble of selling a truck used I would want top dollar the sellers time has some value thus you pay for it in the price. Say I had a 1999 F 350 dump for sale and i put in in the paper at 15K I would get a ton of phone calls some offering 12K cash, others wanting to see it making a time and not showing, others looking at it then having the "think about it" (meaning look to see what else they can find), then you have the group that wants the truck but can't get the money, then if your lucky you have the guy who wants the truck and has the money. However you have invested time to get that 15K private sale, or you could have gone to the local ford dealer and gotten a trade in of 12K all day long. It depends on where you want to spend you time. Do you want to spend it dealer with buyers and waiting, or do you want to take a little loss on the trade and spend your time making money working?

Geoff

kc2006
07-28-2004, 12:14 PM
keep looking, I started looking for a new truck in december and didnt buy one until June. It still had high miles but its a clean truck. 96 f250 diesel with 240,000 for 5900 I couldnt pass it up.

look for the high milage but clean ones, this was a ceo of a company owned it so it wasn't used for work much. Thats the way to go.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
08-01-2004, 07:26 PM
If you live in snow country, expect to pay out the ass for it. Get an AutoSwapper magazine and start shopping. Well, it is AutoSwapper and TruckSwapper up here in Michigan, not sure what they are called elsewhere. I bought a truck in May and sold it last week and am in the market again. I bought in May to make a grand or so and cleared an extra $2500 than I paid and it took me 6 months to get that truck back in May. I need something quick right now.

mtdman
08-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Screw the used ones. I just bought a brand new F150 and I love it. I swore off used vehicles a long time ago. Brand new ones don't have the headaches that used cars do, are more reliable and dependable, and smell better too!

:D

GrassFearsMe
08-14-2004, 05:07 PM
Found the ill deal here, 97 2500 chevy:

4x4
auto
leather
matching cap
bed liner 5th wheel brakets
tow package
cd player brand new 33' tires
48000 miles