PDA

View Full Version : Got Hit Tonight

qualitylandscaping
07-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Knew it would happen eventually. I pull up to the side of my driveway tonight (coming home for dinner), turn on my flashers and wait for traffic to get by so I can back into my driveway. So this 80+ year old guy "doesn't see me" and slams into the side of my trailer (ripped off the lights, slashed the rear tire on the trailer, and dented the fender).. He hits me and keeps going down the road real slow like he was trying to figure out what that LOUD noise was. After I cursed and screamed and woke up the whole neighborhood he pulled over and got out of his car like nothing happened. Gave me his insurance card and told me not to call the cops. Well, since I don't want to be at fault for this I call the cops. Deputy shows up and asks the guy to bring his car back to my house (approx 500' away). He backs into the cemetery, pulls out in front of a car, then pulls into a one way street (the wrong way) and then pulls out in front of another car before missing the back of the police car by about 6"...

What a long night.. It was his fault, and he got several tickets..

Gotta love the trailer though. The angle iron for the lights put a gouge all the way through his door (I could see inside the car from the slash it made). Also broke his window, door panel, and bumper.. Damage to me under $100, damage to him $2,500+.. Live and learn for old people that can't drive..:angry:

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 11:49 PM
You wanna see a bumper crop of old timers with zero driving skills, move to Florida (or Arizona, I guess. I lived in Fla., but not AZ).

One old gal in Clearwater once told me that to get on to U.S. 19 (the main north-south artery through that area), she just counted ten and hit the gas. To judge by what I'd seen while living down there, she aint the only one!

captken
07-23-2004, 11:52 PM
Can you fathom how scared this man was?

Trailer angle iron gouged so that you could see inside his car....

We are mistake making human beings....

I bet you had nothing but hate for this person....

Sound like it to me....

remember....If you live as long as he has...

and something simular happens to you...

Will that person you violate have pity on you....or hate?

What goes around,

Comes around...

I hope you live to a ripe old age...

qualitylandscaping
07-23-2004, 11:58 PM
ya I'm happy I got it out..

I just get a little "unhappy" when my insurance company charges me over $10,000 a year to insure my trucks and trailers... And the old guy, that cannot drive is probably paying $600-700.. He has been kicked out of the legion here for drinking too much..

I don't care how scared he was. I don't care if I made him pi$$ his pants. Anyboy stupid enough to hit a PARKED vehicle deserves to be humiliated..

Expert Lawns
07-24-2004, 12:16 AM
captken, are you trigger happy with your enter button?

Mark McC
07-24-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns

You noticed that too?

captken
07-24-2004, 12:42 AM
I have my opinions....

And I hope I live to the ripe old age of 80....

Hell, I'm more than half way there...

My hearing and my eyes are not what they used to be....

Thank God no one was hurt...

Remember, if we live long enough,

The shoe could be on the other foot...

I cannot imagine what cultural changes will occur in the next 40....

I just hope I'll be up to the challenge, having my insurance card ready....

Teenage drivers can pose the same danger...

Expert Lawns
07-24-2004, 12:46 AM
I....

Totally......

Agree ......

With ..........

You............

beransfixitinc
07-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns

Reading those posts, makes me feel like I am reading one of those.. Japanese poems? A Haiku (spelling?)

captken
that I don't get hit parked....

qualitylandscaping
I agree too....

But I was PARKED!!!

It's reckless driving.. How do you miss the 6' tall trailer with reflective tape and flashing lights?????

Expert Lawns
07-24-2004, 12:49 AM
maybe mr magoo was looking for the cemetary

captken
07-24-2004, 12:49 AM
DOT tape everywhere....

so geezers can see me...

Idiots on cell phones....

etc,etc,etc:angel:

The risk is part of the GAME!

GLS
07-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Does this guy still have his license? I do feel bad for the guy and its sad what happens to some people as they get older. But they pose a major threat to other drivers on the road. They really should have stricter laws. If the cop also witnessed the guy do this: "He backs into the cemetery, pulls out in front of a car, then pulls into a one way street (the wrong way) and then pulls out in front of another car before missing the back of the police car by about 6"...", I really don't think the guy should still have a license.

Reminds me of a recent episode of South Park I caught the other night...about elderly drivers, people getting ran over and nobody does anything about it.

I've had several close calls with other drivers. Luckily it hasn't happened yet. We had an old bat pull out in front of us the other day. She just came rolling around the corner WITHOUT even looking. Slammed on the brakes, skid the tires, my brother was driving at the time, screamed at the top of his lungs and I don't think she even knew she did anything wrong.

Glad I have trailer brakes. Would have been in several accidents without:)

Expert Lawns
07-24-2004, 12:51 AM
GLS, that episode was chucking filarious!

qualitylandscaping
07-24-2004, 12:52 AM
The cop gave him three tickets.. For what, he would not tell me.. After this, his license is most likely gone..

Captken, the trailer is plastered with reflective tape. Think I spent $50 on tape just for the one that got hit.

captken
07-24-2004, 12:58 AM
the risk is part of the game....

I hope this does not happen to you again.

I have my issue with eldery drivers....and used to be intolerant.

I realize that this is part of life, and I try not to pole vault over mouse turds...

qualitylandscaping
07-24-2004, 01:00 AM
I don't think I would have cared as much if it wasn't a BRAND NEW trailer. The thing is less than a month old.

SouthernFried
07-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Ya...as I'm getting older, I'm becoming a little more sympathetic to the effects and plights old age brings. What happens to this man's life if he has no transportation anymore. Will that take away what freedom he has left?

Then again...what if he had killed someone. The way he's going, it sounds like it's going to get worse before it gets better. He prolly shouldn't be driving.

If I get to 80...I'm gonna hole up in nursing home with a buncha 70 yr old babes. Listening to Led Zeppelin and doing my drugs intraveneously.

It'll be freakin' better than Woodstock man!

PMLAWN
07-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Make lots of money now so you can hire a driver when you get old because we will all be that way someday and some young person will tell you,"you can not drive anymore--I don't care how you get to the store to buy your food"

Driving Miss Daisy!

naturescape
07-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Captken:

I have NO sympathy for the old man! He should NOT be on the road plain and simple. The cops, after seeing how he was driving, should have impounded his car and been sure his license was revoked.

And stop trying to look like a poet!

Scag48
07-24-2004, 02:00 PM
I've had a few close encounters, never been hit. I was using a couple cones along the side of the trailer and somebody plowed those one time. I ended up mounting strobes about 12 inches above my tail lights on my trailer. At least this way I'm not legally at fault and neither is anybody if you're parked LOL.

mbricker
07-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey, it's not just old drivers.

June '03 I was parked in front of a customer's home, was trimming in the back yard. Got the trimmer tangled up with some honeysuckle, shut it off for a sec to untangle, heard a loud BANG coming from around front. Went around to see an '03 Lexus SUV with its hood buckled, both air bags popped, steam and water spurting everywhere, my trailer totaled, rammed hard enough to knock it loose from the truck, the truck and all moved forward about 15' and partly up on the sidewalk.

I usually trim first, then mow. My ramp had not yet been lowered and my cones weren't out. I asked my insurance agent later if he thought it would have helped if the cones were out, he said,"No, you would have just had crushed cones to go with everything else."

The driver was a woman about 45, just a block from home, had apparently just got off work, probably thinking about what to fix for supper. Maybe on her phone, she didn't admit it though.

Fortunately her insurance (Allstate) paid for everything: trailer, damage to pickup, totalled wb, lost time. It took about 8 months though. I consider myself very fortunate that when she came along I was not at the back of the trailer unloading. She said she didn't see my rig. No braking at all. It was about 5:15 pm. I am sure the sun was not low enough at that hour to be a problem, even though she was headed west.

Moral of the story, if there is one? Do everything right and you can still get whacked, and the guy that does it might not even have insurance, so carry your own.

specialtylc
07-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by captken
that I don't get hit parked....
That isnt going to ensure that you wont get hit. Do you know how many police cars, fire trucks and hiway maint. vehicles get run into every year?. And they have all the lights,reflective tape, etc.

PMLAWN
07-24-2004, 05:21 PM
I fear the 16-18 year old with a car full of friends more that the old guy-lady.

Which politician is going to say at what age you should start removing freedoms. Tough call.

qualitylandscaping
07-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by PMLAWN
I fear the 16-18 year old with a car full of friends more that the old guy-lady.

Which politician is going to say at what age you should start removing freedoms. Tough call.

I definiently agree with you on the 16-18year old drivers. Even though I am one, I pay for my own trucks, insurance, and tickets if I ever get one. I work my butt off for a living and don't drive around with a car full of friends, pretty much only driving I do is work related...

I got the estimate to fix the trailer today from one of the top dealers in NY state. Total is gonna come to $828.11 + my lost wages from having the trailer out of service = total damages $1500..

Funny considering the trailer cost ~$2500 new

all ferris
07-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by captken
DOT tape everywhere....

so geezers can see me...

Idiots on cell phones....

etc,etc,etc:angel:

The risk is part of the GAME!

Captcandykane

locutus
07-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by PMLAWN

Which politician is going to say at what age you should start removing freedoms. Tough call. Driving is a privilege, not a right/freedom. If one is a danger to society at large, society has the resposibility to revoke your driving privilege.

Liberty Lawncare
07-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Wow the old guy was wrong. Capt ken if the person who hit the trailer was 30 years old would it be ok to be upset? I would be mad as heck also. The problem with senior drivers is the VOTES. No politician wants to be the one to suggest testing or restricting seniors driving privliges.

Ax Man
07-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Re Test!
Bummer Steve, at least you and your niebor werent hurt.

robertyb
07-24-2004, 10:48 PM
I am 54. I took my mothers car away from her when she was in her 60's and had Alzheimers. I have never had an accident that was my fault and I started driving when I was 14. I hope to God that my son will take my keys away when and if I get dangerous. Until then, "Stay the hell out of my way" :p

PMLAWN
07-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Locutus-- I agree 100% that driving is a privilege. That privilege gives you the freedom.
The problem is how to know when someone becomes a danger. 10 seconds before the trailer was hit how did anybody know this guy was a problem. Most become aparent after something bad happens. My point was, who makes the call to make people stop driving and at what age. Testing more often will help but how often? No easy answer.

qualitylandscaping
07-24-2004, 11:44 PM
NY is pretty tough too.. There is a re-test every 5 years I believe, usually when the license expires..

Also, my grandparents used to live next to him. They told me this is not his first at fault accident. Told me he ran a stop sign and totalled a car, and several others in the past. Has also been known to have a drinking problem..

lawnman_scott
07-25-2004, 01:16 AM
I guess his drinking problem is irrelevent, unless he went to jail for a dwi, did he? It was an accident, get over it not everyone is as perfect as you.

PMLAWN
07-25-2004, 05:59 AM
Quality-- In your case I believe they had the knowlege of poor driving and should have taken steps to keep him off the road.

qualitylandscaping
08-02-2004, 09:37 PM
IT HAPPENED AGAIN TODAY:mad: :angry:

Was parked on a busy street (deputy measured 8 1/2' away from the shoulder line).. Some car was driving close to 80mph in a 55mph, and ripped off the entire side of my trailer (fender, lights, part of the gate, and pushed the rail in about 6", bent both axles and the tires were under the trailer)... To make it even worse, it was a hit and run.. The guys door fell off alittle way down the road.. I was standing on the grass on the side of the trailer taking off a trimmer when it happened. Trailer moved about 15'... Knocked me over and the tires almost ran over my legs (thought quick and moved them).. Didn't get a plate since I was laying in the grass trying to make sure I was in one piece...

This has not been a good month.. Trailer totalled with $2900 in damage in 10 days.. It feels good to be alive..

Be careful out there guys

DGI
08-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Crazy. Luckily the door should help in finding the guy. Better luck in the future.

qualitylandscaping
08-02-2004, 10:16 PM
The door isn't going to help.. If it was the driver's side door it would have the VIN on it and I would be set.. But its the passanger and there are about 40,000 tan Subaru's out there

Martino
08-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by qualitylandscaping
The door isn't going to help.. If it was the driver's side door it would have the VIN on it and I would be set.. But its the passanger and there are about 40,000 tan Subaru's out there

There aren't 40,000 tan Suburus missing passenger doors out there. I'll bet they find the woman driving this car.....just kidding!

You need to go back to bed and wake up in September........this last month has been a doozy for you.

Green&Growing
08-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Did you call the old guy to see if he bought a new car yet? Maybe a tan Subaru!

qualitylandscaping
08-03-2004, 12:30 PM
No he still has his POS car.. If it was the old guy again I would flip:angry: