PDA

View Full Version : I am new at this

TimmyTheLawnBoy
07-24-2004, 01:17 AM
Hey, I am going to start my own business next summer. I turn 16 next year so I can haul my eqpt. around. I do my yard and some of my neighbor's yards. Any advice on what I need to do for my business, to get it going? I have a 61" Yazoo, an old push mower, weed trimmer, and I am looking in to buying a blower.

When I take a ride in to town, I see banks, and some schools that have the lawn mowed back and forth, but on one lane it is dark green and on the lane next to it, it's a light green almost white. How do they do that? Is it because of the kind of grass they have, the kind of mower they have or what!? Any advise on telling me how they do it whould be great!

I know I am going to get insurence, but is there anything else I need? Also I read somthing about a liscnece...???

Well any help would be great!:

matthew horner
07-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Please search the site you've just joined.
Matt

matthew horner
07-24-2004, 01:59 AM
OR........for 3k i'll fly you into sanford, take you to breakfast, lunch, and dinner and tell you everything I know,and fly you back to sycamore, all in a day.

No really, just do some research and try not to make to many mistakes. Its a happy but challenging living.

It could be much worse.
matt

Yard Perfect
07-24-2004, 02:07 AM
Continue on in school and learn how to spell and mow a few lawns along the way. Don't let your parents buy anything for you - do it yourself. If your parents do help, pay them back!!!!!!!!!

EastTnLC
07-24-2004, 03:08 AM
I couldnt agree more with Yard Perfect about "If your parents do help, pay them back!!!!!!!!!"

Expert Lawns
07-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by TimmyTheLawnBoy

When I take a ride in to town, I see banks, and some schools that have the lawn mowed back and forth, but on one lane it is dark green and on the lane next to it, it's a light green almost white. How do they do that? Is it because of the kind of grass they have, the kind of mower they have or what!? Any advise on telling me how they do it whould be great!

They use industrial size pull behind lawn paint sprayers. Kind of like what they use to paint the lines on the highway, but they are wider and use 2 colors (white and green)

Expert Lawns
07-24-2004, 10:35 AM
mine is old but still works ok

TimmyTheLawnBoy
07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Well I have been reading on this site, like things to keep in your truck (toolbox, wasps spray, water, ect.) By the way I have a 1969 stepside chevy pickup, It's in very very good condition. Can I use that, or should I start saving my money for another one? I have a Trailer that can fit everything I need. Can anyone tell me about a business Licence?

Timmy

matthew horner
07-24-2004, 05:20 PM
To what age have you made it?

PMLAWN
07-24-2004, 05:28 PM
He said 16 next year so I guess 15 now but I'm no good at math.

Expert, What model sprayer is that and can I use other colors???

Do what Matt Horner said and use the search. Go to the "just starting in business" forum and start reading those threads and you will learn a lot. By the way look up "striping".

rtyus
07-24-2004, 05:39 PM
The '69 Chevy should be fine for you to start with. When you pick up a few clients and start making some money, start sticking a little back to buy a newer truck later on.

As the others have said do a search on anything in particular that you have a question about. Read as many posts as you can. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll start to pick up tips that will help.

As far as which mower is better you need to demo the ones that you like and see which one feels best to you and works best for your situation.

TimmyTheLawnBoy
07-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Well thanks guys you really helped me. Any other tips would be great!

soonernation
07-25-2004, 01:15 AM
Keep 2 things in your head... Patience and Persistance. Learn how to save. Good equipment is very important too. To answer your question about the lines you see, as the blades, deck, and wheels of the mower move over the grass it lays the grass one way and then when you come back it lays the grass the other way. Some mowers have rollers that are on the back and actually press the grass down after the blade cuts it. You'll see that on golf courses and quite a few pro-landscapers do it to. Have fun and stay in school. I would recommend taking a small engine repair class if you have any vo-tech options through your school. My high school had one and I wish I would have taken it. I think the most frustrating thing for me this particular year was paying someone $45 an hour to fix something that I could have fixed myself if I had basic knowledge about small engines. Have fun. Hope this helped a bit.

BryPaulD
07-25-2004, 09:19 AM
LOL @ painting stripes like the guys on the highway........................... Do you set out cones too?? hehe

lawnman_scott
07-25-2004, 10:01 AM
And keep in mind you need to go through all the posts to find the helpful ones, and arrogant ones. While doing your search, keep in mind to come back in October and see the same old tired leaf cleanup threads. How anyone can be in business for so long and not master the art of picking up leaves is beyond me. If while searching you run across a post from Eric ELM check out his website. He isnt with us anymore, but you may find something helpful there. And dont worry about a spelling error or two, any moron can do a spell check to make themselves look good.