PDA

View Full Version : Are customers drawn to hispanics???

DFW Area Landscaper
07-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Today, I had to go pick up a sod roller, so I dropped my hispanic employee (who has ss# and documentation, btw) off to start on a shrub trimming job. I was gone for about an hour.

When I returned, he handed me a business card. Some guy had seen him working and was interested in a quote for work. Left his business card with my employee.

That got me to thinking about something. It just dawned on me today. Most of the new business I've picked up this year, where people see us out working and ask for a price, has been where I'm in the back lawn mowing while he's running trimmer or blower in the front lawn. It happens a lot. They'll approach him but not me.

I'm beginning to think that people want to hire hispanics because they think they'll be cheaper than what the whites would charge them.

Am I just imagining this, or is there something to it?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

nmhorns
07-24-2004, 01:38 AM
You got it, go with it, Get your hispanic crew during your marketing

SouthernFried
07-24-2004, 01:41 AM
Happened all the time to me too.

My helpers have generally been hispanic. I can't tell you the number of times through the years they've handed me a number, or told someone that approached them..."you'll have to talk to my boss in back."

Hell, I found out after one of my guys quit me...that he'd gotten so many people coming up to him while working for me...he started his own company. And ya...when I saw him doing all these lawns next to mine...I was seriously pissed off. That's a topic unto itself.

I think people just feel comfortable talking to a hispanic about manuel ;) labor. Stereotypical or bigotted as it may be...it's reality.

TrueTrim1
07-24-2004, 01:46 AM
I'm beginning to think that people want to hire hispanics because they think they'll be cheaper than what the whites would charge them.

There may be something to that. However, one thing I find ironic is that half my customers are hispanic and I'm white. A couple of my customers barely speak English. I'm not that cheap either. Usually, it is completely the other way around in this area.

Tharrell
07-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Hispanic is a dirty word to me since they don't pay federal taxes. F-15's, Homeland security, welfare for every nation on earth. How much longer can we shoulder all of this and let the millions of them not pay?

Mikes Lawn Landscape
07-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper
Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

It is actually a condition called "Get a mexican to do it"

I can't tell you how many times I've heard when you gonna hire you some mexicans.

See a lot of whites want to hire mexicans so they can tell all their white friends oh yea "I got my mexican to do that"

Had a customer call me about a french drain I looked at it and decided the problems required an engineer or landscape architect to design a fix I was in the process of finding one to help. Pulled up to mow the account and there were 11 Mexicans with shovels and 2 wheel barrows moving the back yard to the front yard as a fix took em 2 days 220 man hours I hope it works.

DFW Area Landscaper
07-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Now that I think about it, maybe it is my imagination. My employee wears a uniform, so it's obvious to any passer by that he's working for the gringo. Also, my truck has huge professional lettering and there's a huge sign on the back of my trailer with Visa/MC logos. I don't think that people are approaching him because he might be doing work for cheap prices.

Now this question:

1.) Crew number one is in a lettered truck and all crew members are uniformed. The truck is fairly new and the trailer looks nice. Looks like a real operation. All crew members are hispanic.

2.) Crew number two is pulling a trailer. Neither the truck nor the trailer have a bit of lettering. Not even a magnetic sign. The crew is wearing ordinary street clothes. The truck is rusty, filthy and old. The trailer looks like it was made by a 6th grader with a hammer and nails. Again, all crew members are hispanic.

Which crew is more likely to be approached by the neighbors for a price quote?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

CT18fireman
07-24-2004, 09:30 AM
I think that is definately a reason. I have been asked by new people who my labor force is. We are about 50/50 between hispanics and college kids. I have had success with both so that is not a problem, everyone speaks english and they all start at the same wage. Anyway they seem to think that the hispanics will work for cheaper which will translate to a lower bill.

Of course it does not matter nor is it their business who makes what. The customer still pays the same.

It would not surprise me that some are looking for this "cheaper" work force.

Lawn Dog2001
07-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Re: Are customers drawn to hispanics???

Not around here. No one has ever seen a Mexican here in PA.

txlawnking
07-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Depends.. I think the answer would boil down to what kind of potential customer your talking about. It really doesn't matter to me, but you did hit on a subject that I've though of before. And I will tell you the solution, if you really think the problem is that bad.... Learn to speak espanol. and do not hire workers that speak English, problem 75% solved. Most white "gringo" homeowners are not bilingual, even in TX,.... NO HABLA!!! When I hire my first employee, I promise you he will not speak a word of english. I have noticed, and I'm not trying to stereotype, it's just my personal observation, that non english speaking, non- Americanized, hispanics tend to outwork other, english speaking hispanics almost 10 to 1. It seems that some hispanics have the " I shouldn't have to work, yet still get paid" entitelment attitude that some Americans have nowadays.. Again I'm not rying to offend or stereotype anyone.

fga
07-24-2004, 09:59 AM
One guy once said this to me.......

"if we can't do it, a Mexi-can...."

Steve9
07-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Heck even my rich Mexican friends say thier going to "hire some Metzicans" to do this or that.

txlawnking
07-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Exactly, Steve... Sad thing is, I was talking to a local concrete finisher, ( a mexican ) who told me he won't pay his helpers much at all. I was like why?? He said, " I worked hard to get where I am now, why shouldn't they." In 5 years I've watched that guy go from Sanford& Son reject junk trucks and equipment, to Brand new Diesel pickups and all new equipment. He really has greatly increased his share of the market here, mostly because he does the best, not cheapest work.

ztrx
07-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Greetings-
Clean cut hispanics in uniforms + crew leader bilingual + sharp looking, well lettered truck and equipment + good customer service = Sucessfull Lawn Care Company
A no brainer

Master of the Lawn
07-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey anyone notice that most of these responces are people from Texas? Mr DFW the answer to your question about 'which crew will get the most calls" The answer my friend #2. Because the customer thinks he has lower overhead. Welcome to Texas THE MEXICAN SCRUB CAPITAL OF THE U.S.A .

NC Big Daddy
07-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Tharrell
Hispanic is a dirty word to me since they don't pay federal taxes. F-15's, Homeland security, welfare for every nation on earth. How much longer can we shoulder all of this and let the millions of them not pay?

What an uneducated statement. Come back when you get your facts correct.
Mexicans are not taking jobs from "Americans". They are being hired b/c they work! I pay the same no matter where you're from. It's just that "Americans" seem to have a diminished drive to do any type of work.

Tharrell
07-24-2004, 11:46 AM
I didn't say they were taking jobs from americans, numbnutz. But I will say it now because if they weren't here, an american would have to do that job. I said, they don't pay federal taxes. Get YOUR facts straight.

Mr. Magpie
07-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Now that I think about it, maybe it is my imagination. My employee wears a uniform, so it's obvious to any passer by that he's working for the gringo. Also, my truck has huge professional lettering and there's a huge sign on the back of my trailer with Visa/MC logos. I don't think that people are approaching him because he might be doing work for cheap prices.

Now this question:

1.) Crew number one is in a lettered truck and all crew members are uniformed. The truck is fairly new and the trailer looks nice. Looks like a real operation. All crew members are hispanic.

2.) Crew number two is pulling a trailer. Neither the truck nor the trailer have a bit of lettering. Not even a magnetic sign. The crew is wearing ordinary street clothes. The truck is rusty, filthy and old. The trailer looks like it was made by a 6th grader with a hammer and nails. Again, all crew members are hispanic.

Which crew is more likely to be approached by the neighbors for a price quote?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

If you ask me, I would say it depends on the person seeking the estimate.

I think there are pro's and con's to both scenarios, but if I were into getting high-end customers or commercial business, I would want to be sporting the nice rig. But then again, some small residents might be intimidated to ask for many reasons. On the whole, the nice rig would be better, but you will undoubtedly be missing out on some service opportunities.

I think a big deal is doing a trio or quad of lawns in a row...... that's impressive and respected by anyone who is looking for a service.

puppypaws
07-24-2004, 03:20 PM
We have a large number of Mexicans in N.C. their work ethic is so much better than Americans (unless you own your business and you have to work or starve) they have taken just about all the manual labor jobs. We have two very large poultry processing plants in the area I live that labor use to be done by the black people. The last 3 years Mexicans have taken 98 % of the blacks and a lot of the white laborers jobs. I have Mexicans that help me on my farm and they are like part of the family. The American work force has gotten so lazy the Mexicans are just taking up their slack and they appreciate what we have always taken for hard work.I have personally worked whites, blacks and Mexicans and believe me there is no comparison and my people work 7 days a week when needed and love to work but I treat them like my immediate family.

mbricker
07-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Puppypaws, we have a similar situation here in NW Arkansas. The Hispanics originally started coming here for the poultry plant jobs, but since this is a booming area, now you see them on every construction site, in every plant, and starting to own their own businesses. Including Lawn care.

Some of them are hard workers, some are not. Some of them are honest, some are not.

Although fairly often I am told I should "get a couple of Mexicans," (I'm currently solo) also a few customers have said they are glad I DON'T have Hispanics coming to do their lawn.

From what I've seen with some of the other local lco's, if you hire a smart bi-lingual Hispanic, you are without question just training a future competitor.

Turf Medic
07-24-2004, 05:13 PM
I said, they don't pay federal taxes. Get YOUR facts straight.

Actually the illegals pay MORE in taxes than the legal ones. They usually use a doctored Social Security card to get the job, so Federal and State taxes are taken from their checks. However since they are illegal, and they use doctored cards, they can't file a tax return, so they don't get any refund. The feds get to keep it all.

Tharrell
07-24-2004, 05:20 PM
I really don't care if they work hard or not, they don't pay federal taxes. I work at a convenience store 3rd shift and one of them dropped his paycheck (from a poultry plant). I found it after they left and thought it was trash. I opened it up and he has earned about $8600 ytd and paid "nada" federal tax. I'm not blaming them, it's the politicians. Don't worry, the second generation will be acclimated to our society. Hard workers, that's code for cheap labor if everyone really wants to be honest about it. Our country is being infested, overrun, infiltrated--call it whatever makes you feel good. Work here? PAY TAXES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! ACTUALLY THEY DON"T PAY FEDERAL TAX.

The mayor
07-24-2004, 07:07 PM
I feel like I need to apolgize........ Sorry for being a hard working mexican.Didn't mean to take away all these jobs.Who would guess I could use a rake, and operate a computer.

HOOLIE
07-24-2004, 07:31 PM
I havent' noticed this phenomenon around here. But maybe its because 97% of all lawn guys ARE hispanic. So who else they gonna talk to? But seriously, I've gotten business because people want to deal with someone who speaks English.

Norm Al
07-24-2004, 07:40 PM
customers HATE most hispanics,,,,unless they can speak good english!

they hate that they dont know if they truly understood a specific request when given to the hispanic!

they hate the idea of them being illegal!

they hate the idea that we cant hire white english speeking guys!

txlawnking
07-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Norm, for me it would be because I wouldn't usually hire a white employee.. I've talked to probably a dozen white guys trying to hire them to help me on clean ups. They either say Nah, I'd rather smoke doobies all day, or I hire them, and they are so lazy and non productive they costed me more than they could make me, And I'd take their sorry, lazy hides home at lunch time. BTW, I've also hired some "Americanized" hispanics as well, young one's mind you, and they have been just as useless.. I hired one, and sent him around back with a trimmer.... I hear the trimmer, but don't hear grass being decimated.. So I walked back there, and he was laying down under a tree, revving up the trimmer occasionally.. He was taken home immediately, before he wasted another second of my time&$$$$ :angry:

DFW Area Landscaper
07-24-2004, 10:29 PM
This was never intended to be one of the infamous "hispanic labor" threads, though I guess that is what this is really about.

My only question was whether or not prospects will approach hispanic crews based on the assumption that they would have a lower operating cost and therefore lower prices.

I'm guessing it's the reality, though I have no way of knowing for certain.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Turf Medic
07-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Part of the draw might be that the hispanics apear more approachable. My experience is they are always smiling, always seem to have time to talk to you, and usually don't come across as being egotistical, and usually are willing to do anything that you ask. Also probably because of the language barrier, they seem to pay total attention to what you are saying.

Precision
07-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Turf medic,

You are partially right. I worked in NYC for a number of years in the restaurant business. I know from mexicans. What you say is true about not getting any taxes back, but they put down 10 dependants. So their "tax load" is very low.

That said. When was the last time you actually got any work out of an american high school drop out that applied to work for you. Me, never. Pick your group. I had representatives of all of them in NYC. If they are dirt poor in their county they work hard in this one, with or without papers. If they are used to the State taking care of them then they get disability and work for cash. Mexican, Puerto Rican, White, Black, whatever. If we pay them cash, we are the problem not them.

HOOLIE
07-25-2004, 12:22 AM
I guess if you saw a Hispanic guy working solo, you might assume they will be cheaper, because maybe they aren't business savvy. Around here, most of the large LCOs are manned with Hispanics, but a lot of the solo guys are American.

Getting back to what someone posted about lazy white boys, that's true for sure. At my old job, we had a steady supply each season of college boys and other white guys, by the late 90's the supply trickled to nothing...and the few white guys that worked were by and large useless. So we started bringing on Hispanics. Nice thing about them is, once you hire one guy and treat him right he will bring in 10 of his buddies, solving your personnel problems. Of course, they all ride in to work in the same car, so if it breaks down your screwed that day.

ItalyEd
07-25-2004, 03:32 AM
DFW Landscaper,

Your initial question was "are the customers drawn to hispanics." My feeling is that, particularly in Texas, there is a perception that the hispanic guy working in the yard is the "yardman." From what you've indicated, you have a loyal employee. Note, he didn't pocket the customer's number and offer to do the work on the side. Instead, he brought the work to the guy who butters his bread. If this works, let the guys help you. Give them an incentive to find you additional work.

Somewhere in this thread, the typical anomosity and resentment of the threat of competition has come into play, although it was clearly not your intention to open this line of dialogue.

Nevertheless, I feel compelled to retort. Somewhere along the line in the history of this great country, we have developed a bias of "those who were here first, have the greatest right." So in the 1900's we hated the Italians. Then we hated the Irish. In the 1940's we hated the Germans. In the 1950's we hated the "Orientals." In the 60's we hated the blacks. In the 1970's we hated each other and the Vietnamese. The 1990s was hate the hispanic. The 2000s, its hate the middle eastener.

Each group of immigrants, the last to come into this country has had to endure by finding work in the lowest form available. Do we remember the Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese owning stores in the 1950s? No. Why do you think the Italian Americans brought La Cosa Nostra with them to the US? To protect their "interests" from outside interference. I don't recall too many Asian attorneys in the 1970s. Which brings me to this interesting point. Of all of these immigrant groups (if you will), the ones that were here first were the Hispanics. Be they Mexicans or Spanish, they were the original immigrants to the Northern Americas. This fact is in our own history books. [Note I didn't say, they were the first people of the North Americas].

These "hispanics" or "mexicans" be they documented or not, are here and are working because they are most often hired by the white business owner. As with all things in life we distaste, if you want to do away with something, simple supply and demand will dictate its longevity, resourcefulness and use. Where there is no demand, the supply will die.

Yet, when we buy houses, pour driveways, or eat at restaurants, for many of us, the bottom dollar becomes the overriding factor. We want things personally, at the cheapest we can buy. Otherwise, we would hire the best craftsman, with the best reputation, with the best equipment, with the longest history of giving to his local chamber of commerce. That guy, will mow your lawn for $55.00. The other guy down the street will mow it for $30.00. So, who are you gonna use.

Want to end the supply of latin labor? Stop hiring them.

As for me, the next time you guys throw in the term "Mexican" or "Hispanic", take a look at my tax return last year. I personally paid over $50,000.00 in income taxes last year. And no, I'm not in the lawn business. Nor is my brother, my younger brother or my dad.

Nor am I uneducated. I am a college graduate and hold degrees from two of our universities in Texas. One being, the most expensive private school in the State. Nor am I downtrodden. I am a proud decedent of the first Vice President of the Republic of Texas.

I don't expect my two-cents to change anyone's sentiments or opinions. Nonetheless, I am hopeful that in my comments someone walks away with an appreciation that not all "mexicans" or "hispanics" are draining the resources of this country. Having said that, I am a republican and a supporter of President Bush. Now go figure?!

Turf Medic might have said best: My experience is they are always smiling, always seem to have time to talk to you, and usually don't come across as being egotistical, and usually are willing to do anything that you ask.

Tharrell
07-25-2004, 10:54 AM
I don't remember reading anything about hating any group except possibly politicians. I say again, "They don't pay federal taxes". It's our faults when it comes down to it because we've let the politicians do whatever thay wanted. Yeah, the great "boom" from Clinton was because he turned a blind eye to our southern border among other areas. The fact is, someone will be willing to do a job at a price. Labor costs would be up if we didn't have them to be sure. But there are two sides to that. Also, where are these lazy white boys being recruited from? Are you a white boy? How come you're not lazy and own you're own business? There are guys out there willing to work, I see them everyday. You just have to pay a fair price for the effort involved. I don't blame someone for not wanting to put up with some of the stuff I've read on this board from so called "business men". Some of the stuff I've read comes close to slavery. I know you want to make money but, you have to really take care of employees. Remember when YOU were an employee? Remember WHY you went out on your own? Face it, the cheap labor is the thing that makes them attractive. The second generation won't be like that so it's going to have to be a never ending line sneaking through the pucker bushes and crossing the Rio Grande. By the way, I SEE the second generation of these folks all the time and they aren't like their parents. ps sorry for highjacking the thread, and sorry for stepping on any toes but when I saw that check stub it irritated me about as much as a motherinlaw.

lawnman_scott
07-25-2004, 11:17 AM
I really don't care if they work hard or not, they don't pay federal taxes. I work at a convenience store 3rd shift and one of them dropped his paycheck (from a poultry plant). I found it after they left and thought it was trash. I opened it up and he has earned about $8600 ytd and paid "nada" federal tax. I'm not blaming them, it's the politicians. Don't worry, the second generation will be acclimated to our society. Hard workers, that's code for cheap labor if everyone really wants to be honest about it. Our country is being infested, overrun, infiltrated--call it whatever makes you feel good. Work here? PAY TAXES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! ACTUALLY THEY DON"T PAY FEDERAL TAX. When did you find this paycheck? Recently, if so say he has worked 1/2 a year or 26 weeks. That would be $330 a week. If hes married with 3 exemptions that would explain no fed tax now wouldnt it?

EastProLawn
07-25-2004, 11:39 AM
If "Americans" ( what ever that really is ) were not becoming so damn lazy and they are, there would not be the this great influx of illegal immigrants in this country, plain and simple. Now to answer DFW's questions, yes people are drawn to what they think is the better deal ( in this case Hispanics ) up here in Rhode Island everybody wants to hire the "Brazilians" ( and no, contrary to popular belief, they are not hispanics ) There is alot of illegal Brazilians up here and they are hard workers that work cheap, so now all the SH!T jobs are going to them because as I said earlier "Americans" are getting lazy. Just my 2 cents....

finallyfree
07-25-2004, 01:26 PM
I am Hispanic and so are my other 2 business partners, We have working for us, Mexicans, Blacks, Whites, Puerto Ricans and Cubans, they are all paid the same exept the crew leaders, We all pay our taxes and have since the day I stepped foot in this country, One way of them not paying taxes is if you pay them under the table, the other if you writte a check and not take their taxes out wich sounds like bad business.........

TrueTrim1
07-26-2004, 01:35 AM
Are people attracted to hispanics
How about:"Are people atracted to whites?"
I've actuallyhad people approach me to do work for them precicely because I am white, not hispanic. Do I think this is good or right? NO. If a person's race is the only motivation for approaching him, then it is prejudice and is wrong period.

I actually had one guy come up to me one day and say something like this: "Boy, it sure is good to finally see some white guys that are hard working. All you see around here is those ##$$# Mexicans. I won't hire one of them, but I'd like to hire you because your white, your hard working, and I like what you do. Why don't you come by and take a look at my yard..."
Can you believe this guy! Needless to say, I was pretty upset and never did go by to give him an estimate.

SWD
07-26-2004, 08:04 AM
The majority of the walk-in work requests I get are handed to me by my crew foreman. The reason is typically I am not readily available - either out of the area on another referral, or around back working with the rest of my employees.
I have conducted market surveys for the four years I have been in business for my self in Tx. What I hear above all else when customers answer why did you call my company - because my employees are in uniforms, look professional, my equipment is new/clean and lastly the yards look good.
The fact that my crew foreman is hispanic never entered the responses I received.