View Full Version : hand powered edger?

07-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey all,

I've got a property where I'd like to do some edging around a grden area. The problem is that the divider I'd like to edge around is a long wooden beam. I thought about using the stick edger, but I'm afraid it would nick the wood up.

So what i'd like to know is, is there such a thing as a hand-powered edger? I'm picturing something like a handle with a round, rotating blade at the end, something like a giant pizza cutter :D.

I mean, I figure people must've edged their lawns long before gas powered equipment became populurized, right? So has anybody seen what I'm talking about, or know where to get one? Or am I just making stuff up?

07-24-2004, 10:45 AM
I had at one time a hand edger that the cutting end looked like a half moon shaped piece of steel with a shovel type handle that worked pretty well.I must caution you that after a few hours you will know why they invented the gas powered edger!!

07-24-2004, 04:58 PM
try home depot or lowes.

I used to own a hand edger. it had a wooden handle on it and at the bottom was a wheel with a gear coming from it that inturn powered a rotating blade on the end. Think of a gas powered hedge trimmer...with 2 sets of teeth , one moves the other wont. same principle but the things was 360 degrees in circumfrence.

it will also wear you out!