PDA

View Full Version : Seed?

ojtwelve
07-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Need an opinion as to what grass seed is the best seed I can use for the NC sunny environment? As a side job I will be re-seeding and maintaining some of my neighbours lawn this year going forward and I thought I would get some opinions from the professionals at this site. The soil in my area is poor and the lawns are exposed to full sun.

Thanks in advance for all responses and to whomever took the time to read my post.

mastercare
07-26-2004, 11:31 AM
This may not be of help since I live in MI, but I'll share my experience.

Best place for seed is Lesco, if you have a distributor in their area. Go to them, tell them all the conditions of your lawn, soil type, moisture, irrigating routines, etc., and they'll be able to match the right mix to your situation. I've used them for a few re-seed jobs, and they've been on the mark with every recomendation.

On my own yard planted 6 weeks ago, used their "Team-mates plus" mixture, which is about 80% tall fescues, 10% bluegrass, and 10% rye. Have no irrigation (mother nature) and very sandy soil. It's a great mix becuase fescue can handle sun, drought, and low moisture pretty well. Also will survive in shade. IF you get a good mix of varieties, typically the type of seed which is best suited to your site, will take over the lawn, and the weaker seeds (for your particular location) will go by the wayside.

Hope this helps.