PDA

View Full Version : Best trimmer line? Strongest? Must buy today...

TROTTMAN
07-24-2004, 01:27 PM
I use .095" size trimmer line. I was using Husqvarna "Titanium" line. It is pretty good stuff, but my spool is totally out (I can't believe I actually used an entire spool in 2 months - never done that before). Since I am out I want to know if there is anything out there that is considered the best or at least really good. I hear a lot of guys say that Gatorline is strong.

I don't want any of the triangle or square shaped stuff, thats about all I can rule out. It snags on grass and is hard to control while edging, and it is also difficult to keep it from getting tangled in the trimmer head.

Any suggestions or advice would be great!

satch
07-24-2004, 01:30 PM
we use .105 stihl. It has given us good service thus far.

fga
07-24-2004, 01:37 PM
I use the husky titanium also, i don't think i could go back to anything else. 2 months is a short period of time to use that much line. what size spool were you using 3 , 5, 10 lbs?

ElephantNest
07-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Gator Magnum Square, toughest I've found, outlasts others, much less restringing.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
07-24-2004, 02:03 PM
gator magnum square, best stuff I have found

Tharrell
07-24-2004, 02:41 PM
I use square line, why do you dislike it?

bladeheart
07-24-2004, 02:47 PM
I bought a 5lb roll of Gator Line square, but I am having a hard time getting it to rap on the spool. I am not getting that much on the spool, however what I can get on there last forever it seems like.

DALMlawn&landscaping
07-24-2004, 02:56 PM
husq titanium is the stuff i use, all sizes have been good to me .80 around sensitive beds, .95 and up is great for edging and triming around rock walls, but you've already been using it, so you know how well it works...

Mr. Magpie
07-24-2004, 03:29 PM
I am not especially privvy to all the different kinds of string, but I can say that Professional Extreme String by Arnold is absolutely unbelievably strong compared to the BS string that the wackers come with. I can't stress enough how good this string is to us and I can 't imagine a similar string being any stronger, but I have not used many other products, so take it for what it is worth.

By the way, nobody in the area seems to know about this stuff, even though I got it at Home Depot...... weird.

Mr. Magpie
07-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Also, this string is square, but my brother and I do superhuman things with our whackers so I don't see why that would be a problem for you.

barringtonbrothers
07-24-2004, 03:35 PM
I have been using gator square .95 for the last few months. It does a good job, but I dont seem to be restringing any less than my old stuff. I think it may perform a tad better, but doesnt really last much longer. Im finding it hard to justify the very high price for this stuff. Me thinks it might be best just to go with a cheaper line and keep a few more extra spools loaded. I may be totally off base, but I havent made my decision yet.

walker-talker
07-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Gator .095 round is strong stuff, I have never tried the square, but would think if would be stronger. I use the .095 Suffix for everyday use. It's good stuff, cuts quiet and cuts well. I will use the Gator in the spring and Suffix in the summer.

jcb287
07-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Husqvarna Titanium......The Best!

airtractrdrivr
07-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Another vote for the Husky Titanium. Been using it on both my trimmers this year and have really had good luck with it. by the way, hello to all, this is my first post!

DennisF
07-24-2004, 07:41 PM
I just bought a 3 lb spool of the Echo .095 stuff from the Home Depot to try out. I've been using Stihl round .095 and I think the Echo line lasts longer. I'm still testing the Echo stuff but so far it works great. Cheap too.

Trevors Lawn Care
07-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by satch
we use .105 stihl. It has given us good service thus far.

the only problem i found with running this thick of line and no trimmer guard is when the line gets out past what the guard would normally cut it off at, it puts an extra load on the engine to spin the thick stuff and keep it spinning.

EASY SOLUTION: Put the guard back on, or buy smaller line...I went with .080 stihl instead.

Trevor

Mowing Freak
07-24-2004, 08:18 PM
I have tried the titanium and didn't like it for my circumstances. I prefer the gator line round. The square works good too but I find the round winds better on the spools and cuts wet or dry or tall thick grass better. Also seems to give your trimmer more power and rpm's. Yes, cost a little more but my opinion it's worth it. Also I run the trimmer at half throttle and can trim around chain link fence with little line breakage. The edgit helps too when I use it.

airtractrdrivr
07-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Mowing Freak
I have tried the titanium and didn't like it for my circumstances. I prefer the gator line round. The square works good too but I find the round winds better on the spools and cuts wet or dry or tall thick grass better. Also seems to give your trimmer more power and rpm's. Yes, cost a little more but my opinion it's worth it. Also I run the trimmer at half throttle and can trim around chain link fence with little line breakage. The edgit helps too when I use it.

Just curious, why didnt the Titanium stuff work for you? I'm always looking for more info on stuff I use since I am relatively new at this.

locutus
07-24-2004, 09:01 PM
I like .095 Fire Line.

Green Care
07-24-2004, 09:07 PM
I run echo 155 last forever with rapid loader

txlawnking
07-24-2004, 09:18 PM
For regular trimming, I run the Gatorline .105 round. I've tried just about everything, including the Husky titanium, and the gator works best for me.. For ugly gorilla stuff, I'm using this Arnold Exteme 155. that I, too, got at Home depot. It ROCKS!! It's so good I almost might start using it for trimming as well, chain link?, No problem, Weeds an inch thick, Cake mix. I like this stuff, but it does bog my motor a little, I think mostly because it's square..

Mowing Freak
07-24-2004, 09:25 PM
If I remember right, the line has pieces of titanium impregnated in it. I don't see how that makes it better. I do agree it is better than walmart or other cheap lines. Around concrete, foundations, sidewalks, etc, chain link fences it seemed to be almost as soft as the cheaper lines only this cost more. I am willing to try anything and so far I have found the gator round black line to be the best for me. I understand there is a line with kevlar in it but so far have not found out anything about it. I could search the internet and find it, but I'm sure being made out of kevlar will increase the price and for this year have no desire to try to find it. Just my opinion again, but I have found for my situation the dealers line (echo, stihl, etc) are not as good as the Gator line. Yes the dealer lines are better than Walmart, but I think Gator is even better.

Tonyr
07-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Maxi Sharp and Desert Extrusion, the latter being the best, round and square, excellent line.

Liberty Lawncare
07-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Echo .95 seems to last a long time. Works good some of the square stuff tends to curl and not work well.

Mowing Freak
07-24-2004, 09:29 PM
I was totaly wrong in the brand of line I use. Thanks to Tonyr I don't us gator I use Desert extrusion...sorry

txlawnking
07-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Freak, the clear gator line has aramid impregnated in it, if that's what you're thinking about. And it really does last and cut well.

Ax Man
07-24-2004, 10:01 PM
My experience with titanium line (2 lbs of 095) was that while running quiet, and accurate, it is soft, weldin to itself more than any other line I have tried.
I have a spool of the Gator extreme, 105, it's a little big for a 25 cc trimmer, but very tough. cuts catails. raspberry bushes. edges along concrete, asphalt, bed edging etc.
I'll try it a little thinner.
My favorite is called suffix, a twisted square line.
Very tough, runs quiet and accurate, but a little harder to string up, cause it wants to tie knots.

TROTTMAN
07-25-2004, 12:05 AM
What do y'all think about regular gatorline?

Shady Brook
07-25-2004, 12:53 AM
I agree again with txlawnking, the gator line with the internal core is the best in my experience. I prefer the 105, it just seems to last forever. It does not fray, or fuse in the head, worth every penny.

Jay

TClawn
07-25-2004, 02:05 AM
I've tried grass attack, ultra flex and cross fire line and have found the cross fire to be the best, it does not weld as much to the bump head when I use it (I use a rapid loader most of the time) and seems to last a little bit longer than the ultra flex but about the same as the grass attack.

Ric Harris
07-25-2004, 05:00 AM
With a Rapid Loader trimmer head, the Oregon .155 line works great along chain link and wood fence line. When edging sidewalks, I find that is breaks more often than I'd like.

ric

grass_cuttin_fool
07-25-2004, 10:42 AM
I use Shakespere trimmer line in .95 round.Seems to last a long time and cost around 7 dollars a pound, Made in the USA also.Only bad thing is I have to order it, havent found it locally, so I try to keep some on hand when I place an order for other supplies. If I need line locally I use the stihl trimmer line in .95, have both round and square and for weekly trimming I like the round best

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Ric H. is the 155 gator you're using the aramid reinforced magnum stuff??

naturescape
07-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Sufix twisted line is absolutely the best! Now Shin. is coming out with a twisted line, and I'm thinking it's even made by Sufix. Check it out now that it'll be easy to obtain!

Victor
07-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Is it that easy to put a Stihl trimmer head on a T-230? It just takes an adapter?

Vic

TROTTMAN
07-26-2004, 02:43 AM
Okay, all this leades me to another question, .095" vs. .105". What are the pros and cons to each.

Obviously the thicker line should last longer (assuming its the same type and brand for each) and break less often.

But it will be a little heavier and it trims a deeper groove (which is really a good thing for me).

I won't be able to wind 20 ft of the thicker line either, but considering how much less it will break (in theory), I should still have to re-fill less often.

What do you guys think? I am buying tomorrow morning (I thought I was buying it Saturday morning, but I found a little bit and used it instead of buying it already). Thanks.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
07-26-2004, 02:54 AM
I havent heard anyone say they like RedMax trimmer line. I just bought 10lbs of it. The square stuff by the way. I've never used it. I just hope nobody else has used it too, cause I havent heard any comments. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

Ric Harris
07-26-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Ric H. is the 155 gator you're using the aramid reinforced magnum stuff??

TxLawnKing:

The .155 line that I'm using is Oregon "Nylium Starline" with aluminum particles.

Part number Ore91405. I belevie this is an old part number because it's not listed in there current 2004 catalog.

Yellow in color, spool # 110284.

ric.

txlawnking
07-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks ric, and Trottman, I would never ever use .095 again after I've used .105. And I'm seriously considering using nothing but .155. Maybe it depends on further testing..

Ax Man
07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Thicker line requires more Hp to spin fast enough for accurate trimming. So it depends on the size of your machine

TROTTMAN
07-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Okay, I have the Husqvarna 326LX trimmer. It has WAY more power than my old Echo 2400SRM trimmer. The Husqvarna 326LX has 1.2 hp. I run .095" right now and I usually trim and edge at about quarter throttle, sometimes up to half throttle on thick stuff. I think it would be fine with .105" power wise.

Tharrell
07-26-2004, 04:00 PM
I usually trim at low speed also. A good trimmer will let you do that. There are some problems with that though, carbon buildup. I've seen carbon buildup on a trimmer and it ain't pretty. But for the life of me, I can't run a screaming trimmer unless I have to.

naturescape
07-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Even if you have the power, thicker line is inherently less sharp than thinner line. You guys really should TRY the twisted line from Sufix or Shindaiwa, the Sufix twisted line in .95 is still about as thin as .80, lasts a LONG time, and is much quieter and sharper. I believe the twisted line is the single best piece of equipment I've used, dollar for dollar. I won't run a trimmer without it again.

Yeah, I like it LOL.

J Hageman
07-26-2004, 07:38 PM
I use Shakespeare rino-tuff with inner core. I use .095 line and fine it last time. I get from Mow More.

TROTTMAN
07-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Just bought some of the Husqvarna Titanium line like I had, but in .105" instead of .095". It should last longer now...

txlawnking
07-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Wow, the only time I don't run a trimmer at 3/4 to full throttle, is when I'm going around fragile obstacles and about 1/2 throttle while edging..No carbon build up for me, and I'm done so much faster than If I'm trundling along with a low throttle position. Oh well, to each his own..

Ax Man
07-26-2004, 09:24 PM
You know what, in the spring when growth is very heavy, I go full gas, but with the suffix half throttle gives me cutting speed. It is that good. (period)

TROTTMAN
07-27-2004, 02:39 AM
I didn't see any Suffix around here in East Texas.

TROTTMAN
07-27-2004, 02:43 AM
txlawnking...

The reason I keep it mid throttle is that it seems like higher rpms make it more difficult to keep in the groove without it trying to pull into the grass. Also, it seems like overkills sometimes since it would be cutting a lot and I would already be walking fast at half throttle.

GarPA
07-27-2004, 07:52 AM
I've tried them all..eccept for gator square. Best 'value' for the money imho is the Arnold Xtreme line. Bought at Lowes. I think only one other person mentioned this one. I found the titanium just didnt last very long at all.

naturescape
07-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Trottman,

You can order Sufix through rpm at http://www.rpm-co.com/product_13.htm .

txlawnking
07-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I can dig, Trottman, I do sometimes almost run with a trimmer, if it's not too hot out..As hot as it's been the last week though, I'm kinda boggin' LOL I may try that Suffix as well.

Fescue Farmer
08-08-2004, 10:07 PM
If you want a sharp-cutting line with EXCELLENT flight characteristics go with SUFFIX .105 or .095 - you can produce a really tight vertical edge with this line - smooth and sharp - best stuff I've ever used! Can't tell you how frustrated I have been in the past with round or square line, having it whip all over the place! How can a man keep a tight vertical edge unless his trimmer line resembles a circular saw blade when turning? Suffix is Top Dog!

Fescue Farmer
08-08-2004, 10:12 PM
And again I say SUFFIX .105!!!!!!!

PLM-1
08-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Finding the right trimmer line is as broad as it is long. I don't really care for Husq. Titanium or echo line at all. They both don't last long at all. I just got some Shindaiwa twisted...it's not that bad but it frays easily and causes shaft vibration. I really liked the Shindaiwa line that came on the trimmer the most.

Adam

Lawn Sharks
08-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Those are some great edges Fescue. They look as good as my Echo Stick Edger. Will be looking for Sufix line locally since the prices at RPM seem a bit high.