PDA

View Full Version : Electric Impact Wrench

dippyduck
07-24-2004, 09:30 PM
I am thinking about purchasing an electric impact wrench to assist in the removal of mower blades. I don't have the room for a large air compressor and would like something more portable. Do these electric units (Dewalt, Makita, Sears, Etc.) produce enough torque to remove tightly fitted mower blades? I was looking at both cordless/corded options? Also do these impact wrenches cause any damage to the spindles or other parts? Any suggestions (brand, model, torque requirement) would be helpful. Thanks.

DLS1
07-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Do a search on this site for 'impact or 'impact wrench'. I think it was this site that had a thread where someone bought a cordless one from Home Depot or Lowes and he liked it.

firefighter
07-24-2004, 10:32 PM
I have a sears and I use it every day. No problem with taking of blade nuts.

Firefighter

jajwrigh
07-24-2004, 11:27 PM
I use a sears one as well.....it has tons of power. I think I paid around $175.....7 amps or so.....

sanfordandsonfan
07-24-2004, 11:38 PM
I bought one from Harbor Freight and I thank it was $50 bucks. Use it every day and it works really well. I wish I would have bought this tool before any other.

tx_angler
07-24-2004, 11:53 PM
I have a DeWalt corded wrench and wouldn't think of changing blades without it, although the guys in my dealer's shop use a cordless one and say they would rather use it than the compressed model they have. I don't remember the brand of cordless they are using, sorry.

smlavin
07-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Bought my electric one at Harbor Freight also. $50 on sale. Crazy thing has the trigger reversed so to tighten I have to put the switch in "reverse". (Made in China and they obviously couldn't read English) But it works great and I couldn't break the blades loose, even with a cheater bar, until I got the wrench.

lawnman_scott
07-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Mine is more powerful than the impact and air compressor is. Its a no name cordless that i got off e-bay. I was pleasantly surprised with it. Well worth the money.

MOW ED
07-25-2004, 08:08 AM
I had a similar one from Harbor freight. It said made in China.

Used it for 2 changes and the third one I had all the motor sitting outside the plastic housing in pieces. Buy good tools.

Albemarle Lawn
07-25-2004, 09:39 AM
$300 +/- Cost new including charger and 2 batteries.

Blades, lugnuts, etc. no problem.

Super time saver especially if you have multiple mowers and a tight schedule.

We buy spare blades, and change them in the field. Running the ZTR up the trailer gate on one wheel lets you remove/install one outboad blade and the center, then switch sides and change the remaining blade.

The cordless impact has been a huge time saver on the JD1600 WAM, with 7 blades.

KB

allstar
07-25-2004, 10:42 AM
I also have a DeWalt:use it all the time and it works great.

chines63
07-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Harbor Freight for $59.00 and best deal for taking blades off and on. Wish I had thought long before now.:p

puppypaws
07-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Been using a 50 dollar corded impact wrench for 3 years from Harbour Freight Salvage and cannot imangine changing blades without it. If you need the versatility of the battery powered
wrench you just have to weigh the cost difference (300+dollars)
against having to be close to a power source. The battery powered wrenches are stronger than you can imagine.