PDA

View Full Version : Do ZTR's ride rough, or do I have a bad yard.?

webdrifter
07-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Do ZTR's just have a tendency to bounce a lot ? So far I have Demoed a Hustler SuperZ, and a John Deere 757, and both will bounce a lot in certain areas of my yard. I believe the Deere is actually worse than the Hustler. I plan on having dirt brought in this fall to smooth out a few areas, but the ride is pretty rough everywhere. I just checked the air pressure in the John Deere, and the front tires have 17psi and the back tires have 15psi. would lowering the air pressure help a little or a lot? I wonder if these machines will hold up to this type of pounding? More importantly I wonder if I will hold up to it .. lol.

rambler
07-24-2004, 10:40 PM
i have super Minnie z and i run about 12 pounds of air pressure makes the ride alot smoother

Eric 1
07-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Drop the air psi some it will help alot. I have 10 in the back and 12 in the front on mine.

webdrifter
07-24-2004, 10:59 PM
These were both new demo's, so I guess they had the air pressure set to factory specifications. I realize that I was going faster than I would be on my riding mower, but they really jared the crap out of me. I guess the more I demo the more I'll learn. Thanks for the responses guys.

Sooners
07-25-2004, 12:20 AM
It's probably the extra speed the Z will do. My 60" Lazer is much smoother than my riders. However, One of my corp. accts. had the roof redone last winter when it was rainy and I just about get thrown off everytime I hit one of those hidden ruts!

shortgut
07-25-2004, 12:58 AM
what is the air pressure in the tires? to much and it can cause probelmd

webdrifter
07-25-2004, 08:25 AM
The air pressure in the John Deere demo was 17 psi front and 15 psi back. I didn't check the Super Z. I want to try a ZTR with the pivoting front axle to see if they are smoother.

wriken
07-25-2004, 08:34 AM
we tun about 11-13 in the front, 7-9 in the rear.

wriken
07-25-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by webdrifter
The air pressure in the John Deere demo was 17 psi front and 15 psi back. I didn't check the Super Z. I want to try a ZTR with the pivoting front axle to see if they are smoother.

take one of these tanks for a spin, they all have the pivoting fron axle. They can still ride rough though. We keep ours locked in all the time, so they don't pivot, on the property's we cut we get a better cut locked in.

robertbick
07-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Try to demo a Lazer Z with the custom ride seat suspension. Just bought one this past week and my property seems to have a lot less bumps than it did when I last cut it with my lawn tractor.

webdrifter
07-25-2004, 09:12 AM
my next demo will probably be a Lazer Z , but I'm wondering if the suspension seat on it is any better than the one on the Super Z.I also want to demo a ZD-28 Kubota on my property. I keep thinking that the extra weight, and the pivoting front axle may give me a smoother ride. I have mowed my yard with my 3000 Ford tractor with no ruts, so the weight of the ZTR is not a problem.

TJLC
07-25-2004, 09:20 AM
When I owned a Lazer Z, on rough properties, it beat me to death. My back was killing me after about an hour or so. Maybe it was just me, I don't know. I did have the standard seat on mine. Maybe the suspension seat would have made a big difference, I don't know. The lower air pressure did seem to help a little. Good luck.

KERRTURF
07-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Bumpy ground will take you for a serious ride on a ZTR. Remember when you compare any ZTR to that big Ford you were using that the Ford had much taller tires. Most of my properties are pretty rough. Try out a Ferris, especially the IS3000 and up with four wheel independant suspension. I went with the IS1000, but I wish now I had spent a little more for the IS3000 to get the rear suspension.

captken
07-25-2004, 11:24 AM
needs to be adjusted to your body weight...

How much do you weigh?

I have the old style suspension seat on my Hustler Z, and there is

no way to tell where it is set at, you adjust it as you use the machine.

to find the correct setting...for your body weight.

Once set, with the correct tire pressure, I don't have a problem

mowing my Aunt's 5 acre lawn, with ruts around levee mowing fast....and across the back lawn that used to be a plowed field.

The new Super Z that I saw at the Memphis dealer had the newer

different suspension seat.

I believe it had a dial in [scale] for your weight...

Call Ken Frye back for another demo....after you demoed the rest..

The choice would be clear for me, especially having him as your neighbor....
hope this helps...:angel:

Spring time mowing weeds/grass on the levee, 5 acres done routinely very fast.

And yes, the Hustler will hold up under these conditions....

barnard
07-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Any machine that has a pivoting front axle will ride smoother. You want smoother yet, consider a Ferris with full suspension front and rear. Still not smooth enough? Consider adding suspension seat.

greasy_gun
07-25-2004, 12:08 PM
i have the hustler mini_z, with a factory seat with arm rest that is very comfortable.
like u, my back used to kill me after mowing, but not anymore.

here is a link to the new standard seat on hustler

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69971

captken
07-25-2004, 12:13 PM
I feel like this machine is ergonomically correct,
for me....

The controls for the Deck clutch switch, the Ignition switch the Throttle and Choke and the Oil pressure light.

Are installed and placed
logically
for easy access. [they fall right to hand]

The deck lift rod is attached to a foot pedal.

That raises the deck, helps prevent scalping on uneven lawns, you can [float] the deck using your right foot,

Taking your foot off and the deck returns to your preset cutting heigth.

No sweat deck adjustment Just drop the Height adjusting stop [the pin] into the hole in the height adjusting bar..

1/4" increments, adjusting cutting height on the fly...fast, one handed.

Servicing the machine is also a snap,
just tilt the seat forward and you have easy access to every major component.
Fue filter
Hydro filter
Hydro oil reservoir
Steering linkage adjustment.

No engine room clutter...

Simple design,
Solid, safe, dependable.
easy to learn
and to service yourself...

Leaves a quality cut...

captken
07-25-2004, 12:19 PM
extremely well,

and will leave a quality of cut on said slope?

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 12:41 PM
I agree with capn'. Our church has a Land pride ( Undercover Hustler ) with the suspension seat, with the tires properly inflated, It does ride pretty good. You may want to consider a stand up rider as well, My surfer doesn't beat me down, and personally, I don't ache after a a day of mowing. I think stooping over all day with a trimmer kills my back more than anything!!!!

webdrifter
07-25-2004, 01:35 PM
captken,

Ken Frye actually brought out two Super Z mowers for me to demo. The one that I used was a 28 Hp EFI with the older black suspension seat on it. The other Super Z was a 27 HP Kohler unit with the newer light colored suspension seat with the weight dial under it. I think it also had lumbar support. I didn't demo the one with the newer seat because it had the bac vac system attached, and I wasn't sure that I would get a fair comparison to other ZTR's that I might demo later. I weigh 185lbs, and did notice that I seemed to bottom out when I got on the Mower, so it was possibly set for a lighter person. I have just completed a demo on a JD 757, and it rode rougher than the Super Z. Actually the seat seemed very loose on the JD.

I would like to give the Super Z another shot. Maybe lower the air pressure, and use the good seat.

JHE
07-25-2004, 11:20 PM
I have a Hustler Z with a 25 kawasaki and 60" deck for my yard. There are rough areas in my yard where I really start to bounce and I have to pull back a little on the speed. The suspension seat does a good job keeping my kidneys in tact but the mower gets bouncing soo much the cut goes to hell around those areas. My neoghbor has a Lazer Z abd when he cuts my yard his does the same thing. Any fixed of even pivoting axle ZTR is going to do this. The only mower that I know of that will smoth this out is the Ferris IS1000 or up (just make sure you are looking at one with the 4 wheel suspension). Get one and demo it along with the others that you are looking at.

Firstclasslawn
07-25-2004, 11:37 PM
ztr's all bounce alot its just something that they do, They will actually make you have to pee, LOL