PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a metro

matthew horner
07-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Buddy has a metro he'll sell me for 1700. Its a 03 model, less than 50 hours, pistol grip, 12.5 hp kawa, fixed deck.

Is this a FAIR price, or is it pretty good considering?

I need something to go between my 21's and my 60, but I'm kinda leary of 1.fixed deck 2.pistol grip 3.deck height adjustment.

Please advise.
Matt

Lbilawncare
07-24-2004, 11:11 PM
I personally would pass for exactly those 3 reasons. I personally would spend just a little more for a floating Toro w/ t-bar, but then again I don't know what type of accounts you have.

HOOLIE
07-24-2004, 11:12 PM
You'll be saving $600-$800 off the price of a new unit, so that's pretty good. I've been happy with mine. Not the fanciest machine, but it gets the job done.

matthew horner
07-25-2004, 12:02 AM
whats the equivalent toro or hustler go for?

Matt

Ric Harris
07-25-2004, 04:10 AM
What's the deck width, 36 or 48 inch? Sounds like a Great Deal, price wise.

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 04:29 AM
Ya, for $1700, that's a good deal.

I ran one of those as a loaner unit once when Gravely in shop. Simple, basic...not the fanciest, fastest machine on the block...but, it got the job done.

I wouldn't buy one new, there are better machines out there. I don't mind pistol grips, but quick height adjustment is something I do really like. However, if $1700 is all u got...it seemed like a decent machine, and that's a pretty good deal.

It'll get the job done :)

Mark McC
07-25-2004, 02:17 PM
I'll second the opinions here. It's not a high-end machine at all, but for a little money, it's a lot of mower.

The fixed deck cuts cleanly, but from time to time, I see spots that a floating deck would mow more cleanly. The issue with regard to cutting height adjustment has not been as big a headache for me as I figured it might at the beginning of the year, so I'm not sure how worried I'd be about that if I were you. Flip side is that in the future, I'll always get a floating deck just in case.

As for the pistol grips, they really are hard on the mitts, but if this mower is going to fill a gap for you rather than become a primary mower, I wouldn't worry. You won't put in enough hours on it to leave your forearms feeling like they're going to fall off.

It's definitely a good price and if it's only a niche machine in your operation, it's probably a great investment. I don't know anything about your operation, but my impression is that it's most likely a good move.

matthew horner
07-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks,

It would be used about an hour a day.

I just wonder if I should wait until next year or this winter and get a little more juice and a hydro. I still want a 36 though. I think it may be a good investment also, and I'd prob be able to sell it for that price again if I kept it in good shape.
Matt

Eric 1
07-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Seems like a good price.

I'll take it.:)

Itsgottobegreen
07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Well it must be a 32" or 36" if it has a 12.5 kawi. I have a 32" metro, a great little machine. They just run and run. Cut very well.

Trevors Lawn Care
07-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by matthew horner
Thanks,

It would be used about an hour a day.

I just wonder if I should wait until next year or this winter and get a little more juice and a hydro. I still want a 36 though. I think it may be a good investment also, and I'd prob be able to sell it for that price again if I kept it in good shape.
Matt

i was in the same boat. I needed a machine to get into about 10 gated properties. I dropped $800 bucks last week and bought an older 36 gear fixed deck gravely. The beast has a 14 horse on it, which is more than enough to toss my worker around! I will probably sell it at the end of this year, and buy a 36 hydro scag, as will i be selling my 44z and buying a 52 scag. I figure it will get me by for the rest of the year.

BTW...Having the wb saved us 2 hours of time this week/ 4 man hours!

trevor

matthew horner
07-25-2004, 10:49 PM
10-4, I bought it and will pick it up soon. Any tips for this mower?

Matt

HOOLIE
07-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Havent' had any major problems w/ mine. Have well over 1000 hours on it. Still on the original tranny belt (and its pulling the Velke just fine) Replaced the blade belt once.

Compared to the old Bobcats I've used, its a lot easier to make adjustments.

matthew horner
07-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Is it the 12.5 kawa or 15.

Matt

MTR
07-26-2004, 12:14 AM
I have the exact mower 12.5 Kawi, pistol, and 36" Metro but mine is 02...Well, this thing got me started and running for 2 straight seasons, riding well with Jungle Wheels and got jobs done. It helped me save a lot of money to expand into hydro. I am now running a 52" TTHP with ECS and Jungle Wheels and the 36" metro is more like a backup and my own yard keeper. It can't match or compare to hydro unit but it is a starter that is very solid reliable. I think you should get it for that price, excellent backup and gate.

matthew horner
07-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by MTR
I have the exact mower............I think you should get it for that price, excellent backup and gate.

i got it for 1600, and perhaps I'll also get the catcher for another 50. I just need it for the few jobs with ditches, cliffs:p , and gates that my hustler sup. z can't do.

I'm picking up tomorrow.

So it does pull a sulky?

Green Care
07-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Pretty good mower started out with 1 didnt get me any probs.

Good LLLL

MTR
07-27-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by matthew horner
i got it for 1600, and perhaps I'll also get the catcher for another 50. I just need it for the few jobs with ditches, cliffs:p , and gates that my hustler sup. z can't do.

I'm picking up tomorrow.

So it does pull a sulky?

I got Jungle Jim 's Jungle Wheels like one week after purchasing of the Metro back in mid '02, so I only walked with this mower for 1 week, since then I have been all on sulky from then to now. So yes, it CERTAINLY pulls sulky. Make sure you grease weekly on all grease zerks according to manual and it will make you tons of money.