PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander for Turf mag! help?

Acute Cut
07-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Just picked up the wright stander 52" for another field test for yall. ANy tips or tricks from yall out there? ANything i should be mindful of or keep an eye on for ya? I have searched and read, im just posting this so we can refresh some stuff. So far i only played on it at my house today. (Just got it this morning) I have learned two things, I DONT want to change cutting heights and DONT stop so fast. I have almost gone over the top twice now. Once while the dealer watched and once while my son and wife watched. Lookin good so far. LOL

Tips, tricks, things to watch, things you want to know about, etc. PLEASE DO NOT post about GREAT DANE. It seems these two mower brands always insite a great debate. Ill solve it for you. I have Great Dane on the line for later this year to demo as well. OK?

I am a bit worried about divoting while turning, but i think i can get it if i go slow. It is hard trying to get used to two different handles. I am so used to ecs where there is only one handle per side. THis has forward and reverse. I am doing most stuff with just the forward ones. I have not got the hang of it yet. Ill mow everything around my house tomorrow to get the hang of it. (8 acres)

As i get questions in mind ill post some polls for yall. Anything you see it needs? I thought of a few, but that is just the first day. Ill work on more, but want to defer to the full time professionals.

Fun so far though! Man i love this gig.:D

Itsgottobegreen
07-25-2004, 01:42 AM
Bring it over to my house. I am not that far away over here in MD. I will put it on some really steep hills for you to take some pictures of. No body (except maybe Mac lawns) loves the standers more than me.

1st thing they take some time to get used to. At least 3 hours, but 8 should be enough. A large flat area is a good place to start.

As for stopping fast, try hitting a stump in tall grass at full speed going down hill. That hurts.

Plus need some minor adjusting to get a superior cut (mostly operator preference) (blade pitch, tire pressure, spring tension on controls, blades, engine speed, cutting height, blade spacers, etc) Mine are very fine tuned.

Also how you stand on the stander makes a big difference. Most people try to lean to much into them. Just stand straight up. Lean into it going up hill, lean back while going down hill. Lean into the up side of the hill when going sideways. Also slide your feet on the plate form to the up side of the hill. Also on hills keep the lower side tires slightly ahead of the upper side. This keeps them from sliding. Shifting your weight makes a big difference.

For the handles. Only used the rear ones. The front handles are for backing up only for great distances (like blowing off the street with the blades) Use the rear controls, when you go to turn slow down, pull back on one slightly and gun the other one. This will make you do a shallow turn. Zero turns mess up the grass on any machine.

John Gamba
07-25-2004, 05:29 AM
Better get a cup :)

John

Ax Man
07-25-2004, 07:07 AM
He's in Washington State, a short haul from Maryland..LOL

Acute Cut
07-25-2004, 10:46 AM
You know John, (comment thought of but inappropriate joke) and i noticed that yesterday as well. Hello MOLLY!

Itsgottobegreen:
Nice post. I did learn some stuff. Ok, so some questions back at ya then.
1. Dealer told me standing straight up increased fatigue. True/false?
2. Is there an easy way to tell if blades have stopped spinning yet other than removing the cheapo spindle cover?
3. DO you mulch or bag? I am trying to mulch first. Which blade would you suggest?
4. Do you run doubles?
5. How far can you wheelie?:D That info is important for my article. We need all the "facts" we can get. (j/k)
6. Do you have a problem with the brake dis engageing in your trailer?

I am hoping mac joins in too. Ill probably go mow in about an hour, so i look forward to reading your post. Thanks man.

Itsgottobegreen
07-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Opps my bad. I thought he was in west viginia It was 1:42 in the morning when I wrote it. I couldn't sleep. So I was on lawnsite.

Acute Cut
07-25-2004, 11:41 AM
also, what psi do you use? It says 8-12 in the manual. I gotta check mine. I used it as is from the dealer and i hardly got traction. I think it is just too high of tire pressure though. I have some old wavy blades siting around:rolleyes: i might try as well. I had some gators or something or other on there. Not real impressed. I also think my pitch may be off a little bit. I'm going to check all that in a bit here. Just figured i would do the schedule first then i got to thinking so am back. lol.

John Gamba
07-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Ask PJ when you can test a Super Walk Behind.

John