PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Customers

HOOLIE
07-25-2004, 01:00 AM
Anybody out there cut for any celebrities? I mean, big name athletes, musicians, media personalities? Just curious...

Itsgottobegreen
07-25-2004, 01:22 AM
I do the local weather guy. He does a lot of work himself. But I do his snow plowing. I also do the mowing when he is on vacation. I get personal snow storm updates, which is nice. He is a really nice guy. Drives a F-350 most of us would kill for. His wife has a matching F-250.

primecutmo
07-25-2004, 01:26 AM
i mow a yard near brad pitts parents house have not seen him or jennifer yet though. i will keep my eye out though

HOOLIE
07-25-2004, 01:34 AM
I'd like to see Jennifer too...I don't have anyone of note right now, at my old job we did several Redskins over the years, Darrell Green, Joe Jacoby, Ken Harvey and Charles Mann. Ray Rhodes too when he coached here for one season. And I personally worked with Joe Theismann's son, Joe Jr. (but that's a whole 'nother thread)

Ken Harvey actually invited me into his house to check out his phat new stereo system. Had it wired into each room of the house. I guess he was desperate to show it to somebody...

Mikes Lawn Landscape
07-25-2004, 01:46 AM
All I can say is it's a long drive to Crawford Tx. from DFW. I've said too much already disregard my post. I'm just kidding I don't even know where Crawford is, got it I'm just kidding ignore me.

DALMlawn&landscaping
07-25-2004, 03:30 AM
my buddies mow stone cold steve austin's yard, but he has another estate that they are trying to get... infact, i think he has two other that they are trying to get, but anyways, yeah, thats about it...

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 03:43 AM
I've done several local celebrities over the Yrs. Mostly sports related...some business.

George Gervin, Terry Cummings, Larry Brown...all formerly of San Antonio Spurs. Friend usta do David Robinsons mansion/estate...he was written up in the paper once for having the highest water bill in San Antonio, which my buddy set all the timing for...lol.

Have done a few others big names...it's really no big deal, 'cept when someone asks..."do you do anyone famous?" :)

One of the most extravagant houses I ever did was for a former pro Basketball Star named Benoit Benjamin. He was a 7' basketball star who was playing for the LA Clippers (If I remember correctly) at the time, but married a San Antonio girl and had his house here.

Well, I do several homes in this exclusive community in San Antonio (Shavano Park), where this monstrosity of a house was.

You had to see this house...blue tile roof, white rock with statues all over the place. One of the wierdest things about it was...they had lined the whole yard/grass area...with freakin' BLUE MARBLE. Along the driveways, along the street...everywhere there was grass, it had a 1' edge of blue marble....god, it was awful!

Well, Benoit's wife saw me doing some yards, and asked me to give an estimate...so I went over. She invited me in to give her an estimate, and she showed me the house.

Oh my God!

The living room had a huge wall sized tv with full size video arcade games lining all the walls. Benoit was on the couch with their baby watching TV...didn't say 2 words to me.

She took me through the house to the kitchen, and I got see quite a lot of it. This house had to be over 15,000 sq ft, and was amazing in its extravagance.

The most unique thing was...he had a "workout" are that was built on the backside of the house, kinda like a huge "florida room, all glassed in and such. Well, this thing had a freakin' creek running through it! Complete with a wooden bridge spanning it and gazebo at then end! Sorta reminded me of a Japanese Garden. Workout machines all over the place...unbelievable.

But what got me the most about the house, what was totally unexpected and made me almost lose it...was the absolute filth everywhere!

It stank, it was dirty, it was messy. Every inch of that 15,000 sq ft + was trashed. I have never seen anything like it in my life. It was really disgusting.

The house itself, was so overdone (blue marble edging?!), that, even tho it prolly was the most expensive, lavishly built home in the neighborhood...it was also its biggest eyesore. The neighbors hated it...everyone hated it.

And I was now mowing it :)

The gig only lasted for about a yr. Benoit couldn't hack it anymore in the NBA, and finally, no team wanted him (his rap was that he was lazy and never put in the effort needed)...and he ended up playing in some B-League making peanuts.

I don't like trashing former clients....but, they still owe me 600$ in back bills, so... They sold the house...and I have no idea where they are now.

I still do some of the neighbors, and a new owner has taken over the house....and immediately tore out the blue marble edging.

Everyone's happy :)

PMLAWN
07-25-2004, 04:52 AM
I live in Race City USA so I do some NASCAR guys and 2 shops.

geogunn
07-25-2004, 05:56 AM
I once tried to get T. G. Shepard's (county music star and local performer) place, but I gave up.

you oughta see his ole lady.....6 foot tall....$100k rack....about 25 years younger than him....... :eek:

GEO

CamLand
07-25-2004, 07:23 AM
We use to cut in Bloomfield Hills,which is where must celebs live in the Detroit area,and we cut Aretha Franklin,Lee Iacocca,sports figures Bill Freehan, Lance Parrish and Kirk Gibson just to name a few...

CamLand
07-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by geogunn
I once tried to get T. G. Shepard's (county music star and local performer) place, but I gave up.

you oughta see his ole lady.....6 foot tall....$100k rack....about 25 years younger than him....... :eek:

GEO

must of been tough to keep those lines straight when you see her...

The C Man
07-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by CamLand
We use to cut in Bloomfield Hills,which is where must celebs live in the Detroit area,and we cut Aretha Franklin

How was that gig, does she still owe you money? Drew & Mike rip on her every chance they get, always talking about her 'house of skank.' From the way they talk she was a pain in the butt to her neighbors after her house burned down.

The C Man
07-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by SouthernFried
I've done several local celebrities over the Yrs. Mostly sports related...some business.

George Gervin, Terry Cummings, Larry Brown...all formerly of San Antonio Spurs

What was it like mowing for the Iceman? Ever talk to him?

Victor
07-25-2004, 09:59 AM
I used to maintain Paul Tibbets' lawn. Anyone here know who he is? He did something very notable 60 years ago.

Vic

LwnmwrMan22
07-25-2004, 10:27 AM
I mow my mother-in-laws house :eek:

Mikes Lawn Landscape
07-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Victor
I used to maintain Paul Tibbets' lawn. Anyone here know who he is? He did something very notable 60 years ago.

Vic

Wow did you get a chance to talk to him he must have been quite an interesting man. I always wondered what he thought about what he did.

For those who don't know who he is look him up.

Acute Cut
07-25-2004, 11:37 AM
We did a retaining wall next door to Ryan Style's house. Didnt see him though.

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by The C Man
What was it like mowing for the Iceman? Ever talk to him?

Actually C, I was pretty good freinds with Ice. I met him on the basketball court at the Concord Atheletic Club in San Antonio, same place I met Terry Cummings. The $100/month dues of that place were more than offset by the business I picked up.

At one time or another, I have played Basketball with just about every San Antonio Spur (of the past, I'm older now :) )...Ice and Terry were two of the most down home and nicest guys I ever met on...or off the court. (On the other hand...Dennis Rodman and Johhny Moore were two of the biggest jerks.)

Each guy would talk to anyone who approached them like a freind, and Ice would even come over and talk to my other half and give her crap about the way I played ball...lol. I also played a lot of ball with Ice's son "G".

Gervin is an icon in San Antonio, and is one of the most approachable "stars" you ever met. Makes everyone feel at ease and everyone he met was a freind. A great guy.

Lousy businessman...but, a wonderful human being :)

CamLand
07-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by The C Man
How was that gig, does she still owe you money? Drew & Mike rip on her every chance they get, always talking about her 'house of skank.' From the way they talk she was a pain in the butt to her neighbors after her house burned down.

she owns a few houses in the area.we never had problems with her...

Mico Landscaping design
07-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Dunno if this is a celeb or not i did sam bearnstins son's house :P bad ass place that was in west bloom field :)

Trevors Lawn Care
07-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Mico Landscaping design
Dunno if this is a celeb or not i did sam bearnstins son's house :P bad ass place that was in west bloom field :)

is he as much of a pain as his father seems?

Trevor

tippi931
07-25-2004, 01:44 PM
i do not do any work for them but i live near nashville,tn were tons of country music singers live have been by just about everyone of their houses. you see them all the time at the galleria (sp) mall. every christmas george jones has christmas lights and a big display were people can go see. not to metion the tennessee titans they are hanging around here to. have seen them at the land rover dealership were i carried mine.

Expert Lawns
07-25-2004, 04:01 PM
mico, is that the 1-800 call sam guy?

Victor
07-25-2004, 06:22 PM
I talked to him all the time. He's a super nice man. He didn't like to talk about it, but he felt guilty about what he did. That would be one heck of a thing to hang over your head. I told him to think about how many lives he saved by doing what he did.

Vic

nelbuts
07-25-2004, 06:37 PM
I did Gallagher's dad's house for about a year. What an ahole.
His brother looks just like him and it was hard to tell them a part. Then they ended up suing each other. Because the the look alike brother was using the original brother's routine too much. At least that is what the dad told me. What a bunch they were.

nelbuts
07-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey didn't Paul Tibbets die recently? I thought I heard something about that. So does the rest of the guys know their history or not.

barringtonbrothers
07-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Paul Tibbets and his crew did something I hope no fellow man has to ever do again. His crew saved 100,000s of american lives, and thats all that matters to me, and Im sure thats all that matters to those who had family members fighting in the pacific at that time.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
07-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Victor
I talked to him all the time. He's a super nice man. He didn't like to talk about it, but he felt guilty about what he did. That would be one heck of a thing to hang over your head. I told him to think about how many lives he saved by doing what he did.
Vic

I'll have to do a little research but I don't believe he knew what he was actually going to do he hadn't been told about it just trained and given orders. What an honor to have known him.

hoyboy
07-25-2004, 08:39 PM
SouthernFried --

Your buddy that took care of David Robinson's place...his first name wouldn't be Larry would it?

Dan

hoyboy
07-25-2004, 09:03 PM
I met with Paul Harvey to do some work at his house...never bit though. We also do Chris Columbus's place...the director for a bunch of movies like Mrs. Doubtfire, Home Aone, Gremlins, and others.

grassyfras
07-25-2004, 09:10 PM
I work for some of the Rams players some retired/traded.

draftlawncare
07-25-2004, 09:40 PM
did paul drop the big one on japan??????????

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Hoy Boy...ayup. We usta play basketball together...gave me some business as well.

You know him? I hear he sold Crusader and moved away...but, haven't seen him in yrs. How's he doing?

bayfish
07-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Mikes Lawn Landscape
I'll have to do a little research but I don't believe he knew what he was actually going to do he hadn't been told about it just trained and given orders. What an honor to have known him.

He knew what he was going to do. That's why he re-named his plane after his mother.

Expert Lawns
07-25-2004, 11:25 PM
http://www.theenolagay.com/index.html

danmc
07-25-2004, 11:26 PM
My boss (I work on his estate) is on the board of directors of Ford Motor Company, was CEO of Goldman Sachs and is currently the first westerner permitted to teach business in China...
Whenever he comes back from China he meets with the Secretary of Treasury...

rockstate
07-26-2004, 12:12 AM
I mow a yard that is two doors down from George Brett. Another that is 3 doors down from Eddie Kennison WR for the Chiefs

Mr. Magpie
07-26-2004, 12:31 AM
My buddies' service did some work for Christina Aguilera, and they do Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor for the Dolphins.

We maintain the lawn in our city that has gotten "best manicured lawn" 3 years running. So, we are lawn celebrities!

Royalslover
07-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Mowed Kevin Sietzer's(Royals,Brewers,Indians,'97 AL rookie of the year-OK, he wasn't but he would have been if not for Mark Maquire)yard one time. Real proud to do it and was going to continue untill his wife told me I had to use a push mower. I told her I don't own one and never will.

Interesting tidbit about Paul Tibbets: His grandson is a B-2 pilot at nearby Whiteman AFB and wanted to take his grandfather for a ride but Paul didn't want to.
The late Derrik Thomas got to ride in a B-2. Sucks to be normal folk.

Kut Kreator
07-26-2004, 01:22 AM
I've had a few athletes in the atlanta area, Cliff Levingston retired Chicago Bull/Atlanta Hawk. Van Jakes former NFL player for the N.O. Saints. Ezra Johnson former NFL Green Bay player. Evander Holyfield's ex-wife.

SouthernFried
07-26-2004, 09:24 AM
danmc...that sounds like an interesting gig. Do you work fulltime on his estate? I'd love to see some pics of it...are you allowed to take pics? I would imagine someone like that would have security around...

"I was just taking pictures of the grass, man! Put the uzi's down!"

Be fun, after a long, hot day of weeding beds and trimming around jacuzzi's...to have a brandy around the fireplace with this guy. Talking about the ramification's of China switching to the gold standard and Henry Kissinger's favorite Dim Sum.

MMLawn
07-26-2004, 10:40 AM
We do a couple of the NFL Panthers players homes here

hoyboy
07-26-2004, 10:40 AM
SouthernFried---

Yep, my brother sold Crusader to him years ago. He took it and ran. Did pretty well from what I understand.

My brother talks to him on occasion, though I think it's been awhile.

SouthernFried
07-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Hoyboy...small world, eh?

We usta talk a lot about his plans. He made Crusader into a million dollar company. He told me his plan was to make it big, and then sell it. I think he did just that, but, haven't talk to him in yrs.

Last time I talked to him, there was a new company in town that was undercutting everyone and taking business. I don't know how much that affected him, or his final selling price tho.

Nice guy, and became a decent b-ball player too :)

WoodBrothersLC
07-26-2004, 02:15 PM
We just mowed Nick Garcia's yard who plays for the Kansas City Wizards Soccer Team. We didn't know until after the fact that he also plays on the USA National Team as well.

NNJLandman
07-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I did work at the house of the guy who invented the plastic bag. The ones that are at the grocery stores in those rolls in the produce section. Guy has a huge house in a gated community and his own private 9 hole golf course. Missy Eliot has a house nearby, due to my local connection I might be able to get in on it.

Jeff

biglawndog
07-26-2004, 05:33 PM
We do Denis Potvins house,former New york Islander, Hall of Famer, currently the Florida Panthers color guy. We used to do Demetri Youngs(Detoit Tigers) place until he sold it to buy a bigger one in Weston after he got a new contract.

Greenservice
07-26-2004, 07:59 PM
I mow the lawn at a Catholic church where Joe Piscopo sometimes comes to mass. I've never seen him, but people talk about seeing him sometimes. He has more than one residence, so he isn't always in the area anyway.