PDA

View Full Version : Another Weed Identification

Enviro Green
07-25-2004, 10:56 AM
I wondered if anyone knowns the correct name for this weed? It is in cool seaon lawns, mainly fescue, and it has the local name of horsehair, due to the fact that when you mow it, it shreds very badly and looks almost white where it is in patches arcoss the lawn.

Thanks for any help!

EG

Enviro Green
07-25-2004, 10:57 AM
A second picture as well of the same problem plant...

kppurn
07-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Looks very similar to something I have been running into. I have yet to determine what this is. Does it seem to grow in patches?

Enviro Green
07-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Yes, yes it does and the patches spread, and they are very obvious.

turf hokie
07-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Does it grow faster than the rest of the grass? Overnite almost?

TSM
07-25-2004, 02:09 PM
looks like orchard grass to me. Flat stem and white in color, course, wide blade.

i'd say orchard grass- no selective control available

Enviro Green
07-25-2004, 05:04 PM
No, its not orchardgrass, it is alomst like some type of a sedge in its appearance and growth habbit, and it also has a little lgither color than the rest of the eyard, but it is not yellow or purple nutsedge either.

lawnguy26
07-25-2004, 09:15 PM
If it ain't orchardgrass then it might be rock fingergrass.

Enviro Green
07-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Yep, in the fingergrass family. I have never heard of that, but here it is....

Name: tumble windmillgrass

Scientific Name: Chloris verticillata

Family: Poaceae

Type: Grass

Life Cycle: Perennial

Habit: Tumble Windmillgrass is found in dry soils and is native to
praries and plains. Plants sprout from enlarged roots and crowns and grow from May until frost.

Leaves: Leaves are born on tall sheaths and the actual blade is often shorter than the internode. Leaves are very flat and folded in the bud. Tillers are very thin and flattened. The ligure is hairy. Leaves often resist mowing and will strip and whiten if the mower blade is dull.

Leaf Arrangement: Folded in bud

Special Characteristics: Windmill grass is a weedy species that can be a problem in lawns. Cattle will not consume it. It reproduces by seeds and by rooting at the nodes. The long sheath and flattened tillers and leaves are characteristics of this grass.

Flower/Seedhead: Seedheads consists of slender spikes in a group of 8-13 that arise in a tight cluster but quickly open and are wide spread. Each spike is about 5-11 cm long. The seedhead is often naked at the base and spikelets are clustered at the apex of the culm. The flowering stalk is round, slender and lacks hairs. When plants are mature and not mown, the inflorescence will break away and act like a tumbleweed.

Seed/Fruit: Seeds of Tumble Windmillgrass are grain free within the lemma and palea. Fresh seed are often tinted red.

Where Found: Lawns, road sides, meadows, and pastures.

grassguy_
07-26-2004, 10:37 PM
I was beginning to think a type of field Brome. Hmmmmm, I think I have a number of patches of this growing in the park I help maintain. Any real control besides round up, or won't it work on it either?

Enviro Green
07-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Virginia Tech weed science department said to the THEM know if I found anything that works....so.....it doesn't look good!

EG

NAT
07-27-2004, 10:18 PM
SOUNDS LIKE ITS AS BAD AS DALLAISGRASS.