PDA

View Full Version : makeing $$ solo in the Northern states

lawnchopper
07-25-2004, 01:02 PM
IVe been doing LC for about 10 yrs sick of the $12 hr so Im contemplating going on my own problably partime next yr but maybe the next yr make the transition to fulltime. I have a few 21"incher jobs now. I want to stay solo but I wonder since the mowing season is so short in Mn I wonder if i can make any real money. Im thinking of about $35-40 hr for mowing. I know I have cleanups but I dont think the profit is a great there cause its labor intesive. Theres' edging and pruning but one man can only do so much especially since the growing season is so short Winters havent produced much snow either.
can i make some real $$ ?????

haynestotallawns
07-25-2004, 05:04 PM
just out of curiosity how long is the mowing season in MN? Also, I don't look at clean up jobs in the same light as you, I see them as being very profitable, at least down here in the South. I mean, it's labor intensive yes, but your not running machines as much and the dollar amount per hour is a lot more profitable then if you were running mowers, trimmers, edgers. etc.

Kelly's Landscaping
07-25-2004, 05:12 PM
The mowers may not run as much but blowers vacs and back packs more then triple our gas consumption during fall clean ups where I am.

haynestotallawns
07-25-2004, 05:25 PM
See I don't know how it is to have all the leaves that you guys up north have. We have mainly pine trees down here so that's what we have to deal with and I use a special rake for it that attaches to a lawn tractor. The leaves we just run over with the mowers after we have blown them out of the beds but like I said, most of my customers don't have a lot of trees or leaves in their yards to worry about.

lawnchopper
07-25-2004, 05:53 PM
the mowing season is about 1st week in may give or take til about mid october. Then of course cleanups before and after

lawnchopper
07-26-2004, 09:19 PM
I need a few more opinions