PDA

View Full Version : Walker repair question.

JJ Lawn
07-25-2004, 12:42 PM
I had the PTO Gearbox on my Walker MT 26EFI go out on me the other day. Dealer had one in stock,($308) and said it should only take a couple hrs to replace, so decided to save time I would have him install it. I carried mower into the shop at 12:30PM, expecting to have it ready by at least 5:00PM so I could at least finish a couple yards that evening. Yea right.......

10:30 the next morning I was able to load mower on trailer. Needless to say I was a little PO'ed.

What really gets to me is the 4hrs labor @ $60 an hour $240), that I was charged. I think that is a little out of line. I know that Walker is not the easiest mower to work on due to the cramped space in the engine compartment, but the darn thing only has 4 bolts holding it on. I want to complain to Walker about the 4hrs., but want to find out about how long it takes to replace that gearbox.

So my question to you Walker owners, has any one else had to have one replaced, and how long did it take? Or does 4 hours sound right?

Thanks.

coalburner
07-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Are you talking about one of the deck gear boxes?

JJ Lawn
07-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by coalburner
Are you talking about one of the deck gear boxes?

No, I mean the PTO gearbox next to the blower in the engine compartment.

walker-talker
07-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you have on your unit?

JJ Lawn
07-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker
Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you have on your unit?

I have 1145.4 hrs on unit. I bought it new in Dec 2000.

John Gamba
07-25-2004, 05:20 PM
You can email Walker mower on how long it takes. They are very nice to deal with. That way you know something your dealer might not.
John

JJ Lawn
07-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
You can email Walker mower on how long it takes. They are very nice to deal with. That way you know something your dealer might not.
John

I have already called Walker. They told me that according to their service manual, to replace that gearbox under warranty, they pay the dealer labor for 1.75 hours. They said that a good tech should be able to replace it in that time, give or take a bit. they also said that they can not intervene with the dealer, and that I need to take it up with the distributor for this area.

My dealer is sticking to the 4 hour charge. I feel that 4 hours is too long to do this. That's why I am trying to find out if any one else has had theirs replaced and how long it took. I need some ammo to see if I can get charge lowered.

davis
07-26-2004, 01:02 AM
i no how you feel i was charged 301 for a hydro fluid change and put in 2 rivets for the hopper. :blob2:

John Gamba
07-26-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by JJ Lawn
I have already called Walker. They told me that according to their service manual, to replace that gearbox under warranty, they pay the dealer labor for 1.75 hours. They said that a good tech should be able to replace it in that time, give or take a bit. they also said that they can not intervene with the dealer, and that I need to take it up with the distributor for this area.

My dealer is sticking to the 4 hour charge. I feel that 4 hours is too long to do this. That's why I am trying to find out if any one else has had theirs replaced and how long it took. I need some ammo to see if I can get charge lowered.

If your dealer is LEARNING at your expence then get another dealer and try to go to a Consumer complate in your state. If there are no other dealers then get another brand mower and make sure walker knows about the change.
John

davis
07-26-2004, 11:53 PM
i am looking to sell the walker because there are no other dealers in the area but them. for me this lawn mower has not lived up to its reputation or better yet its not as versatile for my company as i thought.:blob4: :blob1: :blob1:

John Gamba
07-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by davis
i am looking to sell the walker because there are no other dealers in the area but them. for me this lawn mower has not lived up to its reputation or better yet its not as versatile for my company as i thought.:blob4: :blob1: :blob1:

Good Move
John

Avery
07-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by davis

Had pretty much the same experience here. And did the same thing. No one machine is right for every operation.