PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for fall clean-up?

HighGrass
07-25-2004, 12:57 PM
I work alone, I have a Lazer HP 52" Exmark and would rather not buy the vac system for it.

I tried the tarp system last year and it sucked.

So I was wondering if you guys had any creative ideas about equpment purchase and/or use so i can break into the fall clean-up this year.

Any ideas?

PMLAWN
07-25-2004, 01:17 PM
How much do you want to spend?

Rich's Lawn Care
07-25-2004, 01:24 PM
You can get the Accelerator grass catcher with leaf extender www.acceleratorindustries.com

odin
07-25-2004, 01:25 PM
all i do is blow the leaves debree out of the beds bushes etc......mulch em up ..then bagg the excess with a bagger ..exmarks has the ultra vaC ..TORO 'S have a 3 bagger spindle driven one.

got my one ton dumps fixed up with side planks ....to me i couldnt do with out the vac bagger's

Kelly's Landscaping
07-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Not sure what you drive or weather you can dump on site or need to collect the leaves and take them with you. Also I have no way of knowing how much work you have and if buying some of the better toys will even let you break even this season.

As for me if I where solo and had the lazer which I do own already I would want a leaf box and a vac system for my truck. I would want a decent backpack blower I assume you already have that. I would want a 10-13hp push-blower. And I would want a 450 dollar attachment from Jrco called a leaf plow it mounts to your mower and can move leaves like you wont believe. So basically you have like 5 k worth of stuff perhaps a little more and life gets a lot easier. Now if your on a budget and your personal time doesn't matter there’s always the tarp.

mkwl
07-25-2004, 02:41 PM
First, I blow all the leaves into one big pile using my 10hp Little Wonder and Stihl blowers. Then I run my old Snapper rider through them, to chop them up, then I load them onto one of my trailers. If nessicary, I then mow the lawn with my Bob-Cat mower (which I love)!!!!!!

haynestotallawns
07-25-2004, 04:07 PM
I blow the leaves out of the beds and mulch them with the mower then that's about it because there is usually nothing but dust left. It's quick and clean.

HighGrass
07-25-2004, 04:22 PM
I want to do as little hauling as possible. I don't have any way to transport leaves except the trailer(which I would like to do as a last resort)

I guess what I'm trying to do is somehow get them where I can dump them onsight without buying an Ultra Vac for the mower or hauling them with a tarp

Liberty Lawncare
07-25-2004, 04:31 PM
You need to ask your customers if they want the leaves removed from the property or not. Good backpack blowers can move lots of leaves quickley. I use husquvarnia 145 bt and a leaf loader 8hp giant vac to chop and load the truck.

HighGrass
07-26-2004, 12:52 AM
How about if I put gators on my lazer...would that help break down the leaves? Would it make them harder to move or vac?

I could dump most of my customer's leaves on site.

Stripe This
07-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Not sure how you guys "get away" with not hauling leaves away. I have properties where there's absolutely no woodline and have to haul them. But, if you don't have at least one dump truck and a Billy Goat debris loader here in Northern NJ, there's just no way you can do leaves and be competitive.

I'll be running two dump trucks...F-550 and F-350 from October thru the end of the season. 350 will have the loader with capacity for 12 cubic yds of leaves and the 550 will be pulling the enclosed.

I didn't tackle you question, but from the sound of things...looks like my suggestion would be to get the Ultra-Vac. We have one on our Lazer Z HP. But, we still blow leaves first, vaccuum, and then cut. Best of luck with your decision.