View Full Version : What do I need for fall clean-up?

07-25-2004, 01:57 PM
I work alone, I have a Lazer HP 52" Exmark and would rather not buy the vac system for it.

I tried the tarp system last year and it sucked.

So I was wondering if you guys had any creative ideas about equpment purchase and/or use so i can break into the fall clean-up this year.

Any ideas?

07-25-2004, 02:17 PM
How much do you want to spend?

Rich's Lawn Care
07-25-2004, 02:24 PM
You can get the Accelerator grass catcher with leaf extender www.acceleratorindustries.com

07-25-2004, 02:25 PM
all i do is blow the leaves debree out of the beds bushes etc......mulch em up ..then bagg the excess with a bagger ..exmarks has the ultra vaC ..TORO 'S have a 3 bagger spindle driven one.

got my one ton dumps fixed up with side planks ....to me i couldnt do with out the vac bagger's

Kelly's Landscaping
07-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Not sure what you drive or weather you can dump on site or need to collect the leaves and take them with you. Also I have no way of knowing how much work you have and if buying some of the better toys will even let you break even this season.

As for me if I where solo and had the lazer which I do own already I would want a leaf box and a vac system for my truck. I would want a decent backpack blower I assume you already have that. I would want a 10-13hp push-blower. And I would want a 450 dollar attachment from Jrco called a leaf plow it mounts to your mower and can move leaves like you wont believe. So basically you have like 5 k worth of stuff perhaps a little more and life gets a lot easier. Now if your on a budget and your personal time doesn't matter there’s always the tarp.

07-25-2004, 03:41 PM
First, I blow all the leaves into one big pile using my 10hp Little Wonder and Stihl blowers. Then I run my old Snapper rider through them, to chop them up, then I load them onto one of my trailers. If nessicary, I then mow the lawn with my Bob-Cat mower (which I love)!!!!!!

07-25-2004, 05:07 PM
I blow the leaves out of the beds and mulch them with the mower then that's about it because there is usually nothing but dust left. It's quick and clean.

07-25-2004, 05:22 PM
I want to do as little hauling as possible. I don't have any way to transport leaves except the trailer(which I would like to do as a last resort)

I guess what I'm trying to do is somehow get them where I can dump them onsight without buying an Ultra Vac for the mower or hauling them with a tarp

Liberty Lawncare
07-25-2004, 05:31 PM
You need to ask your customers if they want the leaves removed from the property or not. Good backpack blowers can move lots of leaves quickley. I use husquvarnia 145 bt and a leaf loader 8hp giant vac to chop and load the truck.

07-26-2004, 01:52 AM
How about if I put gators on my lazer...would that help break down the leaves? Would it make them harder to move or vac?

I could dump most of my customer's leaves on site.

Stripe This
07-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Not sure how you guys "get away" with not hauling leaves away. I have properties where there's absolutely no woodline and have to haul them. But, if you don't have at least one dump truck and a Billy Goat debris loader here in Northern NJ, there's just no way you can do leaves and be competitive.

I'll be running two dump trucks...F-550 and F-350 from October thru the end of the season. 350 will have the loader with capacity for 12 cubic yds of leaves and the 550 will be pulling the enclosed.

I didn't tackle you question, but from the sound of things...looks like my suggestion would be to get the Ultra-Vac. We have one on our Lazer Z HP. But, we still blow leaves first, vaccuum, and then cut. Best of luck with your decision.