PDA

View Full Version : new ztr add-on post

snoopy1028
07-25-2004, 04:25 PM
I can get great deals on 2 lines- Ferris and Snapper-best friends owns a few shops in FL. (probably cost)

Toro- high price HERE, is it worth it?
Ferris-Is 10 gauge a HUGE weakness?
Exmark-HIGH $$- Being residential, do I need it? Worth it?
Gravely-New to this area, no history for me.
Kubota-diesel, love it, maybe overkill at 9500
Snapper-How good is their commercial unit? LOOKS GOOD
Hustler- Will look, haven't yet-this group likes it from what I read.
CC-no dealer here

1) Kawasaki or Kohler?
2) Joystick or twin stick? Snapper 61 is kohler/joystick or kawasaki/twin stick

Thinking I can get parts at cost as well- I am leaning on the snapper 61". Any reason not to?

Any opinions will greatly be appreciated. Thanks a million for replies. I dont want to shoot myself in the foot because I can buy a particular brand at cost if another brand is THAT much better. Money is NOT the biggest issue. Thanks again...

james@1touchwireless.net

robertbick
07-25-2004, 04:38 PM
I have been researching ZTR's for about a month for use on my own yard and just bought an Exmark Lazer Z 60". The machine and cut quality is excellent!

Bob

Tonyr
07-25-2004, 05:14 PM
The Toro 04 MODEL 500 Series are worth the bucks, these are the models with the new turbo force deck 7 guage, definetly worth a look, got some very nifty features.

I've got the Z588E model...faultless.

Precision
07-26-2004, 02:32 PM
In my experience, (with John Deere, Snapper, Toro, and Gravely) there isn't such a huge difference in quality of cut or workmanship. Each one has its issues. You have to figure out which things are good and bad for you.

The biggest difference between the mowers has nothing to do with them, but rather the owner and how they treat and take care of them.

Having said all that I bought a 60" Gravely rider, PM260. I like it. If I had opted for a 52" it would definately have been a stander Probably a Wright.

Up North
07-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Snoopy1028,
I picked up the Snapper Fastback Pro about 6 weeks ago. Love it, it's the 52" cut, 21hp Kaw. twin stick. Cuts like mad and stripes very well without a kit. I demo'd a bunch of Z's but I kept going back to the Snapper. I would recommend it to anyone, personally I think it's as good as the Exmark, Hustler, Deere, and better then others I demo'd, but that my personal opinion.

Don't think you'll be disappointed with it at all.

Buck

Tonyr
07-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Love your truck!

Wish we working class folk over here could own em....I'm envious! :)

Which is the Snapper?

(never seen one)

Up North
07-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Tonyr, thanks mate!

The Snapper is on the far left with my oldest son on it, I've got some close up pics of it but have to develop the film yet. The trim mower is a Toro and trimmer is an Echo, didn't have the Echo backpack blower in the pic. (But my son HAD to have his wheelbarrow in it).

From reading previous posts I know you (Tonyr) are a big Toro guy, and by the looks of some of your work I see why. That Toro does a great job, I didn't get a chance to demo one.

Buck

snoopy1028
07-26-2004, 06:14 PM
how to stripe without a kit?

thanks for all the posts! (and thanx for the snapper rating)

snoopy1028
07-26-2004, 06:16 PM
how much was the toro Tony? (roughly) I will have to pay full retail here, as there is only 1 dealer. I like them, but know i am gonna get popped.

Up North
07-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Snoopy1028,
Stripes can be accomplished by the pitch of your deck. Front of deck lower then back of deck. However, in my part of the country Kentucky Bluegrass is the norm, and from what I understand it is the easiest grass to stripe. (some say you can sneeze and it'll stripe) I assume some parts of the country need a stripe kit, Georgia may be one of them due to the grass type.

Tonyr
07-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks Buck! You have a great outfit mate!

Yeah, I love my Toro, it was between ferris is3000 (no mulch kit available) or a hustler super Z which was fantastic, or this new model Toro....nothing mulches like these things, and I doubt any could side discharge better also, but imo they are not the best on slopes so they aren't perfect, but good for my work in the jungles down uder lol.

Snoopy....we work on a different dollar currency in Australia, I paid close to 24K inc. mulch kit and delivery and 1st service.
that's why a lot of guys here just buy time cutters etc, cheaper.

Tonyr
07-26-2004, 08:25 PM
I better add that I couldn't demo a J.D due to dealer said I had to buy from a brochure, no thanks...

No Snappers around these parts so couldn't try them.

No Exmarks either...

the 3 I mentioned were the only commercial ZTR's in my part of the state, narrowed my choices for me.

Yeah Buck, please post the close pic when you get the film back, sounds like a great machine!

bet you were glad once the demoing was over, got confusing and stressy for me as they were all great mowers, the new Toro deck and toro had the closest dealer, this is what swayed me mostly.

But like I said, shocking on slopes :) (compared to my previous Z, a Toro Z355)

Up North
07-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah Tony, I was glad when the demoing was done. Hard to keep straight as to what was good, bad, ok, so-so, etc. My guess is there is no such thing as THE perfect machine, but IMO they all do a good job at something. For the most part all the ZTR's were pretty good, would have been happy with any one of them, but glad I settled on my Snapper.

I just checked out your website Tony, very nice. Some of that long stuff must have been fun, hope you didn't find anything in there you didn't expect.:eek:

Buck

P.S. Here's a pic of the cut the Snapper produces, crookedness is operator error, not the machine.:D

Tonyr
07-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Lol, very nice mate!

Hey, I can't do a straight line if my life depended on it, lucky I don't live in your country where my shocking stripes would be laughable! LOL!

Keep us clued up on your new Snapper mate, always great to hear how these machines all go, like you said, they are all great, it comes down to little things in the end, they all cut great in the conditions they were designed for.

That jungle I cut mate, ha, ha, I loved it! Found lots of graffiti cans, had a technicolour underside of deck, lol, tyres, bongs everywhere, needles, trash, shopping trollies, rubbish cans, no animals or dead bodies that I saw go under the deck though, ha, ha.

I had to cut it all down, run over everything I couldn't see, do a quick trash clean up, very quick, and do a quick finish cut, helped to desperse the trash too! Came up good though....they are building a car park there at the moment.

I like those rough jobs though, pay good, and no rush, and I enjoy really knowing this mower can handle it.

I wouldn't take on anything that would damage the mower though, I did this job a year earlier so knew what I was in for, and due to snakes I wasn't going to walk it.

I call it variety LOL!

snoopy1028
07-28-2004, 04:45 PM
I bought a 2005 Snapper 27/61 w/ deluxe seat, sight unseen. Bringing it to me Friday. Kohler/twin stick. I don't even know the final price. (My buddy hooked me up) He says dealers dont even have them yet. I hope he is telling the truth. I'll know Friday, my grass is getting tall, and I am waiting on the new one. I cannot find any info on a 27/61 from snapper anywhere, so hopefully he is being straight up.--I'll post Friday.

Up North
07-28-2004, 05:05 PM
that's going to be a looooooonnnnngggg two days!!!!:D

Good luck and let us know how it works out! I sure love mine.

Buck

snoopy1028
07-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Well, I got the Snapper w/ Kohler 27/61 Twin Stick Friday.

Incredible machine. It has the deluxe chair and all, really nice.

So, I guess next year you will be able to get Kohler w/ Twin- their website shows you have to take Kawasaki to get a twin this year.

I dont guess either way it matters....I just have never had any problems with the kohler I have, so I prefer them.

My dads joystick is easier to drive, but the twin turns on a dime with no spin, whereas his joystick seems to tear alot of grass from a stand still if turning 90 degrees. That may be operator error though. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I am extremely pleased with this snapper.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I have learned a lot here, and will daily I am sure. What it boiled down to for me was the fact that service down the road and the fact that I get parts almost at cost for snappers made me go with it. It had 7 gauge steel, the donaldson air filter, and good pumps, which I thought were important. Thanks again everyone.