PDA

View Full Version : mixing oil/gas on 4cycle motors?

25nbl
07-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Does it hurt anything if I use my mixed oil/gas for my 4 cycle engines as well as my 2 cycle?

specialtylc
07-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Probabally not.May make them smoke some. But why would you want to waste expensive 2 cycle oil?

CamLand
07-25-2004, 06:06 PM
this needs an explanation...

gvandora
07-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Sounds like someone is too lazy to carry a second gas can... tsk tsk tsk.

Green Care
07-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by gvandora
Sounds like someone is too lazy to carry a second gas can... tsk tsk tsk.

If ya dont want too just take gas line off your mower, going too the carb fill up put it back. :confused: :confused:

ince8728
07-25-2004, 09:33 PM
your going to hurt the engine very badly, the cylinder won't get enough lubercation.

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 09:42 PM
The main problem I'd think you'll have is detonation.. and deposits, and a lot lighter pocket book...You are asking us because you ran out of straight gas in the middle of a job and just wanted to make sure you didn't hurt the motor, right?? If so, I'm sure you'll be fine, I've done that in a pinch myself, with no ill effects.

Oldtimer
07-25-2004, 10:30 PM
We have been selling commercial mowers for 19 years and have not allowed straight gas in the shop.

Everything that burns gas has always been serviced with mixed gas for 19 years with no problems.

We use only Amoco (BP now) 89 octane and Shindaiwa or Stihl oil.

For several years we used Optimol 100-1 in all new equipment (2 & 4 cycle) and everything we serviced in our shop. I'm not sure why we changed to 50-1.

Oldtimer

25nbl
07-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys!!, no, I'm not lazy, just wanting to save my pocketbook, I would give 10 bucks a week anyday to use mixed oil and gas in a 4 cylcle mower, than some employee use straight gas on one of my 2 cycle mowers, blower, etc...!!!!!!!!! any blow the motors!!!! There should never be straight gas on that trailer...you will see one day when it happens..and you will always use mixed fuel...guarenteed!!!!!

walker-talker
07-25-2004, 11:13 PM
If your help isn't any smarter than that, maybe you should consider new help. Color code the gas tanks...maybe that will help or don't carry any straight gas on the trailer.

bwalker
07-25-2004, 11:19 PM
At the fishing lodge I am part owner of we run mixed gas in everything for the reasons 25nbl mentioned. This includes three Kawasaki mules, 2 Yamaha rhinos, I 85 chevy truck, and a briggs powered mower. The motors will give a puff of smoke at startup but other than that they run smoke free. Plugs have never been replaced in any of them and the mules are almost 15 years old.

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 11:27 PM
As walker talker mentioned, if your guys are that dumb, you need to find new employee's.. If I had an employee burn up a piece of equipment...they would be gone as fast as I could get rid of em'. That's just ridiculous logic.. fix the real problem. don't waste money on the oil... Sorry to rant, I just can't understand that concept.

bwalker
07-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Re considering new help. When you located 175 miles from the nearest city hiring new people is easier said than done. Two cycle oil is dirt cheap compared to a burnt up outboard. Besides your hiring pool for lawnwork is exactly choked full of smart people and some times its easier to mistake proof. Especially if most of your equipment is two cycle like mine is.

JPLAWNSERVICE
07-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Guys I think a little training goes a long way. Spend some time with your employees and let them know the importance of mixed fuel and why it is used in two strokes. Also let them know that if they burn one up because they put the wrong fuel in that it will be no problem, you will just take out the cost of a new one out of their pay. That always gets their attention.

BSDeality
07-26-2004, 03:01 PM
i can't seriously believe you guys carry only 2-stroke mix in fuel cans. i don't even bother bringing a regular can of gas out on my daily route. i can run my ZTR for 2 days before fueling, and my WB goes weeks at a time before fueling since i only use it on 2 accounts now. I carry a 2-gallon can for 2-stroke stuff labeled "MIXED". My straight cans (which i leave at home) are labeled with "R" for regular.

Randy Scott
07-26-2004, 03:31 PM
We have two cans labeled "mixed" in the trailer and two cans not labeled, meaning straight fuel only. If the help cannot keep track of such a mindless procedure in their every day adventures, something is wrong. Regardless of your pool for finding employees, they need to accept the simplest of things, such as fueling the equipment with proper fuel. Regardless of pay scale or experience, this is something anyone should be able to handle doing, short of actually being a ******. In which they have basic learning skills that they can perform daily.

QC Lawn Services
07-26-2004, 03:44 PM
25nbl, nice to have another from Arlington, TX on the board.

gvandora
07-27-2004, 12:56 PM
At my old employer where we had boat loads of non english speakers. We made it really simply. Nobody but foreman and up mixed 2-cycle fuel. All containers "mixo" aka mixed/2-cycle fuel was in yellow gas cans. Regular gas was in red cans. This was practically the first thing taught to new employees.

mkwl
07-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Oldtimer
We have been selling commercial mowers for 19 years and have not allowed straight gas in the shop.

Everything that burns gas has always been serviced with mixed gas for 19 years with no problems.

We use only Amoco (BP now) 89 octane and Shindaiwa or Stihl oil.

For several years we used Optimol 100-1 in all new equipment (2 & 4 cycle) and everything we serviced in our shop. I'm not sure why we changed to 50-1.

Oldtimer

You mean you use 2 cycle gas/ oil mix in 4 cycle engines on mowers?

Oldtimer
07-27-2004, 09:31 PM
We use mixed fuel every day in everything except the diesels.

Oldtimer

Steppenwolf
07-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Oldtimer
We use mixed fuel every day in everything except the diesels.

Oldtimer WHY?

Oldtimer
07-28-2004, 12:45 AM
1. Positive identifier that repaired unit has fresh fuel.

2. Fuel has stabilizer.

3. Price of mix oil is w/stabilizer is very reasonable.
(we sell Shindaiwa 2.5 gal. mix oil for $4.65 per 6 pack)

4. Guarantee that any fuel on the premises is ok for any eqpt.
(use 32-1 on Tecumseh engines on Husky hover mowers)

5 We purchase mix oil in 55 gallon barrels.

6. Have not used wrong fuel since starting business in 1983.

7. We have always done it this way!

8. We probably ain't as smart as some of the people who are
questioning the use of mixed fuel in everything but we have
used this procedure longer than a lot of them have been in
business.

9. Color blind people can work in our store.

10. I.Q. becomes less important with this procedure.

Richard Martin
07-28-2004, 03:53 AM
I burn about 25 gallons of straight gas for every gallon of mixed gas. The thought of putting expensive Amsoil in every gallon of gas I use is crazy.

I do know that even if you tell someone not to use straight gas in trimmers and stuff and point out that the straight gas is in 5 gal containers, the 2 stroke is in the 1 gal container and the 2 stroke is marked as such that they will still put straight gas in a trimmer.

Now when I use help the straight gas has a cable with a lock on it and it is locked to my truck through the metal hoops holding the bedliner down. It is virtually impossible for them to put straight gas in 2 cycle equipment like this.

LawnMower
07-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Iv run mixed gas in my 4 stokes before in a pinch. There might be a little power loss and there harder to start. But over all the engines have always run fine. I'm even thinking it might be good for old engines that require lead for upper end lubrication. Such as valve seats and such.

However i bet running mixed gas in a 4 cycle engine is bad for emissions. Emission's is a very sensitive subject these days. There slowly but surely fazing out 2 cycle engines because of the dirty exhaust.

So I think running mixed gas in 4 cycles is smart in some ways but not others.

o-so-n-so
07-28-2004, 11:14 AM
I had a VW mechanic tell me that putting a 2 cycle mix in the tank (air cooled motor) from time to time will help keep the valves clean. That has always stuck with me. I do from time to time pour some 2 cycle mix in an almost empty tank an run it for a bit before refueling.

Thats just what i do and I ain't going to change because I think it really does do it some good. Call me crazy.........yep.

Although I don't run it continuously in my 4 stroke tanks.

Just don't reverse this and put clean gas in a 2 cycle..it will break.

Steppenwolf
07-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Oldtimer,
Knowing that you can't put the wrong gas in anything that comes into your shop has got to keep your mind at ease,sounds good to me.

Sam-Ohio
07-29-2004, 03:13 AM
Anyone here old enough to remember when the gas stations used to sell cans of oil to mix into your cars fuel tank. They called it "top oil" and used to claim it would about double the engines rings and valve life. This really was just the same stuff as 2 cycle oil.

Anyone ever see or use Marvel Mystery Oil ? If you see a quart can of this stuff , read the back label. It gives directions for mixing it into your cars gas tank, and also tells you how it will extend the engines life.

Ever wonder why a diesel engine has such a reputation for long life ? It's because the fuel is oiley and it lubes the valves, upper cyl., and rings.

Ever wonder why a 2 cycle Lawn Boy engine lasts longer than any of your 4 cycle Briggs engines do ? It's because of the oil/gas mix lubes the cyl walls and rings so much better.

Look at the Stihl FS 110 trimmer - this is a true OHV. 4 cycle engine with all it's oil mixed into its gasoline and they work great, but the point is that this particular 4 cycle engine gets ALL its lubrication from the 2 cycle oil in its gasoline - cause there is no oil in the Stihl's sump.

F6Hawk
09-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Excellent thread!! THanks Oldtimer, for confirming my thoughts that it won't hurt a thing. I am going to quit running straight gas in my push mower, and only have to worry about having one gas can to keep track of.

And for those of you complaining about the expense of mixed gas, shame on you! You spend hundreds & thousands on pro equipment, and quibble over 50¢ per gallon for oil? Think of it as the cheapest insurance you can buy, cuz if it extended the life of your engine by only 1%.... well, you do the math for yourself.

And as for using Amsoil 2-cycle oil... why? I mean, I run Amsoil in my vehicles, and double the oil change interval (one motorcycle gets its oil changed every 15,000 miles, need it or not!), but why buy expensive oil that is burned off anyway? I just can't see it, but am not trying to change your mind, cuz I know how sensitive some Amsoil folks can be. :)

Thanks for the thread!