PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog elimination

greasy_gun
07-25-2004, 05:00 PM
hey gang

gotta a major problem with groundhogs.

about 20-30 of these creatures are in a 2 acre area of homeowners, and destroying everything...gardens, swimming pools, sheds,barns,garages....
appears they have a vast tunnel network..

i thought about shooting at them, but there are houses,kids,people,cars,etc, in all directions.

any of you know of a way to trap or kill these creatures?

CamLand
07-25-2004, 05:04 PM
traps guns and dogs...

groundhog-uk
07-25-2004, 05:06 PM
hey greasy gun youre not a nice person .what did i do to you?:angry:

nelbuts
07-25-2004, 07:04 PM
use a .22 or a compound bow.

Or call Bill Murray

greasy_gun
07-25-2004, 07:22 PM
a .22?
with houses n people in every direction?

KDJ
07-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Get a Jack Russel

Albemarle Lawn
07-25-2004, 08:28 PM
They sting a little but if you're a tough kid you can suck it up.

greasy_gun
07-25-2004, 08:31 PM
im afraid u galz aint seen a groundhog n dog fight..
ill bet groundhog every time

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 08:45 PM
A Ground hog is a scooby snack for this critter......:D :D

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 08:48 PM
If it moves, this dog has killed it, possums, coons, snakes, pit bull dog ( unfortunatelly) I could go on .. Rent her from me, for the cost of her food!!! The beast can eat. She is very defendive of her turf ( our yard, hence the poor pit ) and my family.. the dog is an absolute varmit killing machine:D

jhawk71
07-25-2004, 08:51 PM
A few years ago we had a ground hog underneath our deck. We borrowed a big trap and put peanut butter in the trap. The ground hog was gone after a few days. But watch out those things are mean.
jhawk71

JB1
07-25-2004, 09:32 PM
grandpa years ago would put lye in there holes , when they walked through it they would get it on there feet and then lick it to get it off, when they did this it would eat there insides up, it worked for him many times. I once stabbed one with a pitch fork, It got to the point I almost wished I hadn't done that , they are very strong critters.

greasy_gun
07-25-2004, 09:37 PM
txlawnking-better not send that lil pup this way...
these groundhogs would send his wormy hind end 6' under

j_loppy
07-25-2004, 10:04 PM
I could not help but laugh at the title of this thread. I clicked on it, thinking that it involved groundhog fecal matter! LOL!!

walker-talker
07-25-2004, 10:08 PM
The city uses a huge vacumn system and suck them out of the holes.

GreenMonster
07-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by greasy_gun

;) :confused: :rolleyes:

You're talking groundhogs, right? They must grow em big down there.

Someone mentioned a Jack Russell. A Westie (West Hightland White Terrier) would do the job too. I have one that used to be real aggressive. She's got snakes, moles, barn rats, geese and a baby duck (oops) on her resume. Terriers were bred for this kind of thing. My money is on the Terrier.

She once chased a boxer out of the yard, and sent my father-in-laws 100lb giant schnauzer home crying when it tried to take her bone. Had to take the water hose to her once to get her from hanging off an Austrailian Shepard's neck.

She's pretty mellow now though at 13 years old.

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 10:14 PM

Uh yeah, OK..:rolleyes:

grasswhacker
07-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Bait a Hav-hart trap. Then shoot with a .22-2 times in the head. Repeat process until completed. Do not trap and transport to another area, just kill off the problem.

Tonyr
07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
Er...Uh...what is a Groundhog? :o

Are they like our wild pigs?

Like a full sized boar?

Only askin' as we don't have these Groundhogs down here....

to far south or somethin'....

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Tony, they are about the size of a large rat.. In fact I do believe they are a rodent..

Tonyr
07-25-2004, 10:30 PM
ha, ha, oh, thanks mate, now I understand what you guys are sayin....I was picturing a full sized wild pig like we have thinking, you guys shooting .22's at them... they bounce off! lol.

And small dogs attacking a full sized pig, pig would simply eat it...except a bull terrier.

Ahhhh, a little creature....oh, in holes ya say?

If the holes join up, maybe park the mower deck with blades engaged over top of escape hole, and in the other open end shoot a flame down, problem solved with enjoyment.

Better be careful where you point the discharge chute though, don't want to spray paint anything that shouldn't be red! lol.

mkwl
07-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Put hay in the hole and burn it out.

greasy_gun
07-25-2004, 10:39 PM
the largest grondhog in this residential area will weigh around 20lbs...

a guy drivin thru the neighborhood one dark nite saw it stand upright on its hind legs, and called the police to report a bear cub on the loose!!!

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Then forget the .22 go for the 12 ga.

greasy_gun
07-25-2004, 10:51 PM
lol txlk :)

might give that lye idea a try,never heard that before

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Seriously, the 12ga. is not near as prone to richochet and get someone, But I really wouldn't do it if your in a real populated area. But if you do, use the weakest charge you can find, it will easilly waste ANY ground hog in exsistance.

mowingmachine
07-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Sounds like alot of you guys don't know what a groundhog from the midwest looks like. The are easily a 10-20lb animal that is very tough. It takes a head shot with a 22 to kill them. They burrow about 8" diameter holes and can really tear an area up in a hurry. We have them everywhere around here. They are also very sneaky and very hard to get a shot at. If you ever shoot at one and miss good luck ever getting a second shot. I wouldn't want to put a Jack Russel Terrior up against a groundhog. Big teeth and sharp claws.

As far as a good way to kill them, my grandpa use to back a truck up to the hole and run a pipe from the exhaust into the hole. Got them everytime. I wouldn't be using a gun in a populated area.

mowingmachine

EastTnLC
07-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Nelbuts, You got to it before I got a chance to.. LOL
Greasy_gun, You could make a little squirrel out of C4 and put it in one of the groundhogs holes but be sure you try to persuade it that the squirrel is the groundhogs freind. LOL (Cadyshack)
Tonyr, what you typed:
(If the holes join up, maybe park the mower deck with blades engaged over top of escape hole, and in the other open end shoot a flame down, problem solved with enjoyment.
Better be careful where you point the discharge chute though, don't want to spray paint anything that shouldn't be red! lol.)

That just down right nasty but I bet someone would try that. Thats where the mulching plate comes in handy. LOL

muddstopper
07-26-2004, 01:15 AM
A full grown Jack Russel terrier will whoopass on any 20lb ground hog every day. I have one and hes always dragging a dead groundhog up on the porch. Durn bugger will go in the holes after one and bring it back out. To get rid of groundhogs without a dog or gun get some leg traps and place inside the groundhogs holes but besure to chain it to a stake or the groundhog will drag it inside his hole. Dont need to bait the trap, the ground hog will step on it on its way in or out of the hole. Another method I used to use when I was a lot younger was to pour gas down the hole, wait a minute or two and then throw in a lit match. Ground would shake and I have actually seen one blowed out of its hole. Also set a corn crib on fire when the flames blowed out another hole I didnt know was there. Daddy made sure I couldnt set down for a week after that one.

geogunn
07-26-2004, 08:18 AM
gotta a major problem with groundhogs.

about 20-30 of these creatures are in a 2 acre area of homeowners, and destroying everything...gardens, swimming pools, sheds,barns,garages....appears they have a vast tunnel network..

partner--I don't doubt you got some groundhogs.......but they aint your problem!

what you got is coal mine subsidence! south central ky is honeycombed with old coal mines.

buy subsidence insurance and leave the critters be.

GEO :eek:

blue_steel2
07-26-2004, 08:32 AM
In the open fields of PA and NJ we use a 22-250, but near people and homes we always use road flares. Strike one up and toss it in the hole, then use a shovel to fill in the hole (they usually leave a lot of dirt piled up around the entrance). Also, fill in any other holes where you see smoke. Each groundhog/woodchuck burrow usually has at least 2 or 3 entrances/exits, sometimes more.

Birddog Lawncare
07-26-2004, 09:22 AM
12 ga w/ buckshot will work the best around houses, a compound bow would work too (if you skilled). Someone earlier mentioned if you've ever seen a dog and groundhog fight, I've been around hunting dogs my whole life and would bet on the groundhog everytime. I had a buddy that lost two beagles to the same damn groundhog within about twenty minutes. The Have-a-heart traps would work nice too.

txlawnking
07-26-2004, 09:35 AM
I've shot dead many ground hogs out in west TX. And I'm sorry, but no ground hog is gonna whoop any kind of highly agressive dog, the people that say that, are usually the same ones that have told me that a Racoon will easily kill any dog.. The dog I posted a picture of has killed quite a few coons', she weighs 135 lbs.. about the only small wild animal that I would say is really tough would be a Badger..They really are pissed.

I was working on a Pipeline job out near Llano Tx, in 02'. One of the guys was digging a hole and disturbed a Badger, before he could move away from it's hole it bit him severly on his hand.

olderthandirt
07-26-2004, 09:49 AM
leg hold traps work well if you have enough to cover every hole but I found the best thing for ground hogs in a populatedcarea is snares just inside the holes staked to the outside. Only had 1 out of over 30 die outside its den the rest go in and I just pull my snare out with the dead hog on the end. Animal control in our area is very lucrative business, I get $75 for every hog I remove snares cost around a buck a piece.

Mac

geogunn
07-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
...I just pull my snare out with the dead hog on the end. Animal control in our area is very lucrative business, I get $75 for every hog I remove snares cost around a buck a piece.

Mac

heeeeeyyyy MAC! I have been having a brainfart!

you get $75 for each hog removed....

how about paying me $25 for everyone I can turn loose!!!

we'll both get rich!

GEO :D

Littleriver1
07-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Dynamite and a box of roofing nails

olderthandirt
07-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by geogunn
heeeeeyyyy MAC! I have been having a brainfart!

you get $75 for each hog removed....

how about paying me $25 for everyone I can turn loose!!!

we'll both get rich!

GEO :D

As we age we get wiser, lol Is this considered working smarter not harder? who cares sounds like a plan to me.

:D

Mac

Steve1
07-26-2004, 10:41 AM
TxLawnking - I have no doubt about your Dane being able to take on a groundhog but groundhogs/woodchucks/Hoary Marmots are easily capable of killing average size dogs. Prairie dogs (a lot of people call them ground hogs) are nothing compared to a full grown woodchuck (Marmots are the same thing).

'Chucks have huge teeth and claws and stand on their hind legs to get a better view. They can grow up (and sometimes over) 2 feet in length and 20 lbs is easily attained for them by adulthood. They also easily climb rocks and trees - I've shot many of the typical Ohio woodchuck out of trees. Usually, they stay fairly close to their holes and they always, always have at least two entrances to their den.

A full grown woodchuck or Marmot is definitely capable of killing a dog. I had a full grown Rottweiller who had all she could handle in killing one who had dared to try and cross our yard one day. The Rott got bitten several times and a few of them were DEEP but she killed the beast by finally just shaking it so hard it snapped it's neck. For a few minutes, I wasn't sure who was going to win that one.

JPLAWNSERVICE
07-26-2004, 12:53 PM
I have hunted and seen a lot of groundhogs and yes they can be mean at times but usually are no match for a fairly aggressive dog. My friends blue heeler kills them on a regular basis with no trouble. txlawnking I'm sure the dane has no problem with them either.

Tony1045
07-26-2004, 01:09 PM
I think Bill Murray said it best!! A little quote from "Carl" the Head Greens-keeper at Bushwood Country Club. "I smell varmint poontang, and the best varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang." Some C-4 and a few blasting caps and your problem is solved. Sorry, couldn't resist!! Tony

greenblood
07-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Somebody said it would take a headshot with a .22 to take a groundhog down. Bull- i've taken many out with good vital shots not in the head. I don't know what the problem with using a .22 in the area of houses if your a good shot????

slapshotmike24
07-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Go to the Home Depot and pick up some rodent smoke bombs. Then light a few, throw em in, and seal the holes. Its probably the best solution for populated areas. Ive taken out a few that way.

greasy_gun
07-27-2004, 10:17 PM
hmm-never tried that smoke bombing.

with these monsters havin several alternate holes, u think it would work?

slapshotmike24
07-28-2004, 12:19 AM
I think it might work. You may have to put more than a few smokebombs in though. You could just leave one hole open then get it with something when it comes out. Like a cage type thing. I am not entirely sure though.

GroundKprs
07-28-2004, 10:15 PM
The ground hog (aka: woodchuck, whistle pig) is a member of the marmot family. If you want to read an intelligent discussion on them, go to http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook/rodents/ro_b183.pdf .

Explanations of biology and control of most any wildlife pest can be found at http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook .

Or just hang out at LawnSite and get more advise on bombs, bullets, and flamethrowers. Great tools to use around inhabited areas.

MDB270
07-28-2004, 10:18 PM
I don't know if it works on not, but I have heard chew a piece of juicy fruit gum, and then put it by the hole, they are supposed to be attracted to it and eat it, and then they can't digest it, could be a myth but worth a try..........I won't laugh at you!!!!

scottishmaximus
07-29-2004, 12:55 AM
We flooded groundhogs out with an irrigation pipe and then shot em with a 22. It took so many shots you would have thought it was a John Wayne movie. Got two small ones and a big one. Them dudes are mean and i wouldn't want my dog to mess with one. Some of the holes where big enough to put a basketball in and bigger.

LarryF
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Well, it's that time of the year when a groundhog comes to dig a hole next to my house foundation. It's been happening for several years. My resolution to the problem has always been to fill it back up again, and I usually do that 4 or 5 times until the critter gives up and doesn't come back.........until the following year, that is. What puzzles me is that it's always in the exact same spot plus or minus just a few inches. I don't know if it's the same groundhog every year, but although I've never seen it, the hole every year is only about 6 inches in diameter, so I presume it's not very big or old. How it finds the same spot every year is beyond me. There might be a nest down there somewhere, but it's hard for me to believe that's possible. I've read that these pests have more than one hole leading to its nest. I don't see another one, and my lot is more than an acre. The hole is almost at the dead center point of the lot, so that means the tunnel would have to be at least a hundred feet long, and there aren't any visible on the properties of my neighbors. Does anyone know how long the tunnel could be? It couldn't be under the paved road in front of my property, could it?

sawman65
07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
a ground hog kill a big dog? come on ya'll lets return to the real world lol. i got em on the farm here and some can get as big as 25-30lb if there is a food source. with a few cows, chickens and goats,dogs they get big real fast. my dog here kills them daily, big ones too
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/sawman65/scratch.jpg
90 lb's of doom for the hogs and coons lol! the shell in his mouth is a spent one he like to chew them up when they fly out the chamber. eats firecrackers too if he can get to them wile they are lit

ALC-GregH
07-05-2008, 12:47 PM
My buddy shot one from 300+yards away with a 7mm mag. Thats a bad azz rifle. This is on a farm though. I don't recommend shooting them in a residential area.

Another friend has them on his 4 acre property. He's not into shooting them. We normally smoke them with a rodent killer. Light it, throw it in the hole and fill the hole up. In some cases, if you can't find any other holes to fill, it will at least run them off.

I remember smoking one hole. Filled it and started looking around. We knew there was other holes but didn't think they connected to each other because they were so far apart. Sure enough, 2 hogs came out of the hole about 150+ foot away from where we were so I'm sure the holes they dig can go for 100's of foot under ground.

LarryF
07-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Sure enough, 2 hogs came out of the hole about 150+ foot away from where we were so I'm sure the holes they dig can go for 100's of foot under ground.

Thanks! I guess that's the answer to the riddle, but it sure hasn't left more than a shovel or two of dirt from the hole in my yard, and it seems to me that a 150-foot tunnel might represent about a cubic yard of dirt. But I know the darn things dig a lot and where the dirt goes can be a mystery. I'm friendly with a very elderly couple who had a religious statue about 3' tall in their back yard and one day they had complained to me that someone must have stolen that statue. I couldn't believe that story, so I went to look for myself. I found their statue. Groundhogs had undermined where it had been standing and it fell into the hole.

Last year I read all of the previous posts provided above, but I can't really put any of that donated extermination advice into practice. I have no dogs or guns, and poison or explosions seem dangerous since this is so close to my house. The have-a-heart trap might be a possibility, but so far it's been pretty easy for me to just backfill the hole, so I'll stick with that for this year.

milkie62
07-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Some of the farm supply stores sell smoke bombs especially for woodchuck holes.Right now the young ones are starting out on their own so you may have more than you think.

Cathman
07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
I remember seeing some sort of gadget that sends a blast through their tunnel system and kills anything for a large radius around (in the tunnels that is). Kills them by percussion blast i think. I think they fill the hole with oxygen or propane and then ignite remotely and it makes a blast in the tunnels. Pretty cool, you see the ground jump where the tunnels are.

LarryF
07-07-2008, 07:14 AM
I remember seeing some sort of gadget that sends a blast through their tunnel system and kills anything for a large radius around (in the tunnels that is). Kills them by percussion blast i think. I think they fill the hole with oxygen or propane and then ignite remotely and it makes a blast in the tunnels. Pretty cool, you see the ground jump where the tunnels are.

Well, thanks, but the only hole I see is right next to the foundation of my house, so you can see why I'm reluctant to go down that path. Right now it's backfilled with all the dirt that was thrown out the day I posted #48. While I was shoveling the dirt back in, I also kept watering it down to compact it in the hole, and since then we've had a lot of rain, so it's pretty wet in that area. So far the pest hasn't dug any more, but I have no doubt he'll be back. I've been pretty successful keeping deer and rabbits away from flowers and shrubs using DeerOff. That stuff really stinks, so I'm not surprised it works as well as it does. Any one know of a repellent for groundhogs?

LarryF
05-29-2012, 11:05 AM
It's been a few years since my previous post, and the groundhog or one of it's descendants came back to the same spot next to my foundation about a week ago. I had gotten rid of that earlier one by flooding and afterwards backfilling his hole, but that process wasn't working very well this year. The groundhog re-dug the hole within about two hours of it being filled in. But I found some advice on the Internet that rags soaked in ammonia and laid in the entrance to the hole would drive the critter away. So I tried it and also poured some into the hole. The next day, the rag was still there, so I pulled it out with a rake, backfilled the hole and re-soaked the rag with more ammonia and left it over the backfill. Three days later the groundhog still hasn't returned, so maybe this actually is an effective method and it's fairly inexpensive. Has anyone else tried it?

Bashby
05-29-2012, 12:16 PM
I heard pouring rotten milk in the hole would work, suggested it to a couple friends. It worked for one and not the other.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
05-29-2012, 12:20 PM
my grandpa used to put lye at there hole, when they would go to there hole they would walk through it and then lick there feet to get it off, then it proceeded to eat there insides out.

milkie62
05-29-2012, 06:51 PM
A 160 conibear trap over the hole and then a milk crate over the top of that will take care of the problem quick.:waving::clapping:

JABBERS
05-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I had a Jack Russel that would kill every ground hog he saw. Sometimes he would tree them and I would hit them in the head with a shovel.