PDA

View Full Version : Blade Bolt Torque

Dixie Cutters
07-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Somewhat scrub question here, but I was flipping through my new TTHP manual and it said the bolts holding on the blades need to be between 115 and 120 ft-lbs of torque. After I sharpen my blades and go to put them back on, is there any way to determine how much torque is on them without having a torque wrench (like the nascar pit crews have :eek: ). Also, do you guys even follow that or do you just tighten it really tight? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Liberty Lawncare
07-25-2004, 08:38 PM
I just crank mine down with the impact gun real tight no way fall off. This may not be right but I feel safe and have neaver had a problem.

Rick Jones
07-25-2004, 08:43 PM
I always use a torque wrench. You might want to just bite the bullet and buy one. It's a very good tool to have.

odin
07-25-2004, 08:55 PM
i take a 15/16th wrench ..take a 20 inch scottish arm and tighten that sucker ..aint never had one come a loose yet .

Richard Martin
07-26-2004, 03:59 AM
I use a torque wrench on my Dixie at the 90 foot pound spec. It is not required to twist on the blade bolts with an impact until the bolt won't go any tighter.

HayBay
07-26-2004, 04:17 AM
Isnt the reason the nascar guys not needing a torque wrench because they regulate the air to the guns at a certain psi, same effect as Torque Setting ?

Dixie Cutters
07-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys keep them coming :) and Hay I think you are right... :o

bobcat175
07-26-2004, 02:04 PM
I have to block off the blade in order to tighten the bolt or it will just spin. Are you tightening with the blades engaged to hold it? Doesn't it still slip? I don't torque it just give it a good pull.

furball3
07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
While I was on my union break I looked in a JC Whitney catalogue. They sell a 1/2" drive Torque wrench for about $25. If this is all you would use it for then why not go cheap.

The bottom of my spindle(on an Exmark) is notched so I can use a 1" open ended wrench and brace it against various parts of the deck to remove/install the blades.

HighGrass
07-26-2004, 05:12 PM
I was fortunate to have a torque wrench already installed in my elbows when I was born. Comes in real handy. When I tighten my blade "bolts", I seem to know exactly when to stop. Every time I loosen them, there never too tight, never too loose.

I can also adjust the built in torque wrench so that it doesn't impeed the performance of my beer drinking. :o

GreenMonster
07-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by furball3
While I was on my union break I looked in a JC Whitney catalogue.

On a union break you can read the whole catalog, plus price check everything to the harbor freight catalog. :p

Sorry, j/k. couldn't resist.

dcondon
07-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Liberty Lawncare
I just crank mine down with the impact gun real tight no way fall off. This may not be right but I feel safe and have neaver had a problem.

we do the same thing, don't have time for a torque wrench.

furball3
07-27-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
On a union break you can read the whole catalog, plus price check everything to the harbor freight catalog. :p

Sorry, j/k. couldn't resist.

:D

I knew I joined the wrong union!