PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander

jhawk71
07-25-2004, 08:08 PM
I am looking at buying a wright stander, and had a few questions. I am debating between a 48" and a 52". Price is not a factor because they are so closely priced. I have heard you can fit a 48" where you couldn't fit a 52", but with a 52" you have more deck overhang meaning better trimming. Is that true? Which mower would you guys go with and with what motor.
48" 17 Hp
48" 19 Hp
52" 17 Hp
52" 19 Hp
52" 23Hp
Jhawk71

Also if you have any pictures of either size mowers stripping please post them!

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Jhawk, I'd go with either the 19/48 or the 23/52... I would get as much hp as I possibly could if I were you.. I have a Surfer with a 22hp Kohler/52" and I wish it had 3-5 more hp.. I havent SEEN a Wright 52" stander, so I can't say about it's trim edge, but that's the one thing my Surfer doesn't have, a decent trim side.. Good luck, and don't worry, IGBG will post on here soon to tell you everything about anything Wright. God bless you man.

cklands
07-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Seeing how you already have a I would go with the 52" I would also go with the 23HP. The more power the better. I have 2 myself and my guys love them.

Precision
07-25-2004, 09:30 PM
In my humble opinion, unless you don't want or have a 36" to get into the few areas that a 52" wont that a 48" would, you a crazy to get a 48". I used 52" JD equipment where I use to work and we had a 48" as well. we had no properties that would fit one but not the other.

The large gates are usually 60" or bigger and the small ones are usually 38" to 42"

I agree with cklands. no such thing as too much horsepower. sure you won't always need it but when you do it is oh so important. Even when you don't it means that your mower isn't working that hard and will last longer for not having the strain.

I have a 15hp 36" walk behind which has plenty of power, but I couldn't imagine just 2 more horsepower and 16 more inches of blade cut. Spend the extra money today and have you mower run better for longer.

The JD we used were 21 hp I am pretty sure and they did pretty good, but another 2 hp would have worked wonders on a few yards.

Itsgottobegreen
07-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Ok TXlawnKing I am here now. So jhawk fire away with the questions.

What you said about the 48" and 52" deck over hang is correct. I talk people out of the 48" and into the 52" for that reason. You already have 36" scag for gates, so the 52" makes sense.

The 52" 23 kawi is the only way to go. I have two 52" 17 kawi, which bog down in tall grass. (boy do I wish they were 23 hp, even 19 hp) The new one for next year will be a 52" 23 kawi.

TClawn
07-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Iwould buy the 52" deck for all the reasons mentioned above. I'm not sure but I thought I heard somewere that the tip speed on the 48" is slower than the 52"

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 11:19 PM
IGBG, if they come out with a 25-27hp 52" stander, then we're talkin'... I honestly don't even think 23hp will be adequate..My 22 bogs in heavy growth sometimes..I know though, Kawi's are supposed to be underated in hp, and I do know they are tourqueier.. But you Can NEVER have too much power!! I really want to swap on a 27!!

robertsturf
07-25-2004, 11:24 PM
I would absolutley buy a 52 , 23, as I own a 48 17, and it doesn't clean the lawn up very well. The 52 has a faster tip speed due to the length of the blades. Good luck!

jhawk71
07-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the help guys.
I guess I'm going to go with the 52" instead of the 48". Since I don't cut to many lawns I think I will stick with the 19 hp. If you guys think otherwise please tell me. Also do any of you guys have pictures of some stripes from a stander. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Jhawk71

MacLawnCo
07-26-2004, 12:02 AM
ive had both and currently have the 52".

the 48 had to be overlapped a horendous amount to keep from showing mohawks inbetween each pass. Im talking like 8-10" overlap. In really heavy, wet applications the 48 was the pits, the blade speed was just not there.

the 52 is quite a step up, but im still not 100% satisfied. I still have to run double blades :(. Trim offset is far superior. Clipping dispersal is on the low side of average. my exmark throws about 3 rows, the wrights throw 1.5 rows at best... which do you think leaves a better finished appearance in heavy growth?? (hint: think X) Regarding engines, i started with the 19 kaw, but then upgraded to the canister air filer which included re jetting the carb. Ive no idea how much more power is there, but that was the first thing i noticed after the carb was re jetted. Save the couple hundred for the extra hp initially and then upgrade the 19 to the better air cleaner which will then increase your power through the mandatory re jetting.

If you get the stander, make sure your salesmanship skills are well honed prior to the spring. You are essentiall going to have to sell as needed (twice a week for me) cuttings from basicly may 1 thru end of june depending on when the heat hits.

rockstate
07-26-2004, 01:03 AM
Where at in Kansas City are you planning to buy this stander from, Blue Valley Tractor or Lawn and Leisure. Personally with how thick the grass can get around here I wouldnt buy a Stander. I have demoed them and I was terribly disapointed in the way they handled heavy and wet grass. If I were you I would save some money and buy the 48" Exmark TTHP, it will also fit through the majority of gates in the area.... And go jayhawks

Itsgottobegreen
07-26-2004, 01:04 AM
Jhawk- Spend the rest and get the 23 hp you will be much happier. The 17hp is the only thing I don't like about my standers. I will try to get some pictures when I cut my own lawn on monday after maintain.

Mac- where did you get the canister filters? I need one of those.

tXking- 27 hp fuel injected kawi, now were taking. I had thought about getting a 21 hp kubota diesel and mounting it on the stander. That would be bad ass. I guess I might have to bug Jim Velke about that.

Shady Brook
07-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Maclawnco is correct in my opinion, based on my experience with the Standers. I don't think HP will cure the discharge issue. I have seen many posts that reccomend more power for heavy growth, and I am all for more power. I don't think the issue in this case is really more power, but rather a deck design issue. The machines can only process so much grass at a given time and a 50 horse will not effect blade speed, discharge velocity, throw distace, or the flow of grass under the deck. I don't think Stander coming out with a 27 hp on a 52 is going to solve anything except seperate their customers from their money. I think departing from the primative pre-advantage Scag deck design in the only honest way to improve the quality of cut of the Wright Standers in good growth.

Thats the way I see it.

Jay

John Gamba
07-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Shady Brook
Maclawnco is correct in my opinion, based on my experience with the Standers. I don't think HP will cure the discharge issue. I have seen many posts that reccomend more power for heavy growth, and I am all for more power. I don't think the issue in this case is really more power, but rather a deck design issue. The machines can only process so much grass at a given time and a 50 horse will not effect blade speed, discharge velocity, throw distace, or the flow of grass under the deck. I don't think Stander coming out with a 27 hp on a 52 is going to solve anything except seperate their customers from their money. I think departing from the primative pre-advantage Scag deck design in the only honest way to improve the quality of cut of the Wright Standers in good growth.

Thats the way I see it.

Jay

Here Here!!
John

Goodguy001
07-26-2004, 08:43 AM
I use a high lift blade on the discharge side and it makes a big difference. I think any mower going through wet thick grass at 8mph is going to have difficulties.

txlawnking
07-26-2004, 10:46 AM
I agree, that hp alone is not all there is to the problem.. My Surfer's deck suffers from the exact same problem.. if growth is normal to moderate, it will fly through it, but get it in heavy, lush growth and it boggs bigtime. If I could have bought another machine of equal size and hp for what I paid for my Surfer, I'd have bought it . I really wish I could afford to swap the 7 iron deck from the 657 Jd under my surfer, but I've even heard people comp[lain about it's performance.. Double's ( highlifts ) solved the issue of the poor discharge on mine, but every other aspect of it's opperation suffers because of them. My last hope is to try my Raptor blades when they come in.. I really like the stand up operating position, but I really wish a manufacturer would build one with a LOT of hp and an excellent deck like maybe the Turbo Force, I've yet to hear anyone complain about it's performance.

MacLawnCo
07-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by rockstate
If I were you I would save some money and buy the 48" Exmark TTHP,
thats a brilliant idea, seriously. Im going back to all red next season too.

Green, the canister can only go on 19+ kaws.

txlawnking
07-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Yes, I too will be buying something other than another Surfer, I knew that Great Dane had some problems when I bought it, however, I did not know that since JD bought them out, that JD has intentionally made it dang near impossible to get parts for it!! My local Land pride dealer just picked up Toro, and those things do look nice....

jhawk71
07-26-2004, 12:30 PM
I thought everyone liked standers I guess I was wrong.

Rockstate: I plan to buy at Arnold's or Blue Valley.

I will demo the mowers first before I decide, and with what you guys have said I plan to demo a tthp.

Thanks
Jhawk71

GreenMonster
07-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
thats a brilliant idea, seriously. Im going back to all red next season too.

:eek: ;) :eek: ;)

No more wright for Mac
No more exmark for Gamba

two of the seven signs?!?!

what's next? BobbyGedd and Ric make friends?

lawnboy30
07-26-2004, 01:05 PM
On this site...look up landscapingpoolguy. He has a Wright Stander with catcher for sale. Seems like a good deal.

John Gamba
07-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
:eek: ;) :eek: ;)

No more wright for Mac
No more exmark for Gamba

two of the seven signs?!?!

what's next? BobbyGedd and Ric make friends?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
John

lawnboy30
07-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I don't understand what is so funny, I am an exmark fan myself, but chuck's surfer is a good deal.

Itsgottobegreen
07-27-2004, 07:51 PM
These Mac and Gambe loved their machines, but now decided to get rid of them. Bobby and Ric hate each other. Thats is why its funny. They are doing the opposite of what they normally do.

lawnboy30
07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
gotcha. Now it makes sense. Personally, after purchasing exmark, I am never changing. Although Walkers are a favorite of mine for really nice looking manicured lawns. But my lazer does just fine and can climb hills no problem.

GreenMonster
07-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Itsgottobegreen
These Mac and Gambe loved their machines, but now decided to get rid of them. Bobby and Ric hate each other. Thats is why its funny. They are doing the opposite of what they normally do.

yeah, it's like bizarro lawnsite

stevesmowing
07-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Y not spend $600 more and get a 61" deck? That would really cut down on time I would belive

jhawk71
07-27-2004, 09:58 PM
A 61" is to big for the lawns I will be using it own. I've been using a 36" and most lawns take me about 35-40 mowing and 5-10 trimming. I am buying a wright stander because in the fall I am very busy with school and football and every minute I have to mow is important. I am turning 15 this fall and next year when I turn 16 I plan to expand and buy truck and trailer. Then the 52" will become my main mower.

Some say I should keep the 36" but I don't think that would be practical. I don't mow an extreme amount of lawns that I would be in any real danger not having a back up mower. If I'm in a real bind I always have a 21" that will get the job done.

Jhawk71

GREEN ACRES L&L
07-27-2004, 10:05 PM
I have a 23hp 52" and i love the way it mows. I believe that there is no way i

GREEN ACRES L&L
07-27-2004, 10:06 PM
I have a 23hp 52" and i love the way it mows. I believe that there is no way i would buy the 48".