PDA

View Full Version : St Augistine question

Green Pastures
07-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Can you seed St. Augistine or is it grown from plugs only?

CSRA Landscaping
07-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Scott,
I don't think you can seed it ... you need to sod or sprig it.

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Y'know...I have been planting and mowing St. Augustine for my whole life, I have never seen anyone try to start if from seed.

I know St. Augustine produces seeds...but, from what I remember, it's difficult to start that way. If your doing it as a personal little project, on your own...I'd like to know the results. If your thinking of doing it for a customer...uh, I would suggest sod.

I couldn't tell you how many St. Augustine lawns I have sodded or plugged...it's gotta be in the hundreds. I've seeded Bermuda yards and seeded Rye...but, never St Augustine.

I remember asking many, many yrs ago, about St. Augustine seeding...but, whatever answer I got, is lost somewhere in a shredded synapse. It must not have been viable, cuz I sure as heck have never done it.

Precision
07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
there really is not way to get enough seeds to seed a lawn. Seed pods are the rarity in St augustine.

you can sod, plug, or sprig. Growing from sprigs is how the sod farms do it, but won't be very successful for us. too long and our lawns have traffic that would easily mess up the tender sprigs.

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Sodding, sprigging and plugging are the only st.Augustine establishment methods I've ever heard of...

drsogr
07-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have a picture of St. Augistine? I have never seen it before. Mostly Fescue and Burmuda around here. Man I love Fescue!

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 11:05 PM
I lawn I did for a potential cust.. St.Augustine

Sooners
07-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Nice lawn!!! Txlawnking.

When I lived in Houston I took my edger clippings from the front and threw them behind my house. A couple of months later I had a nice patch of St. Augustine. Totally an accident.

stuie
07-26-2004, 06:07 AM
Hey all
My first post so be gentle!
St. Augustine is known as Palmetto Buffalo here and it is a sterile form of Buffalo meaning little if any seed is produced.I love this grass my favourite and the one i use the most on landscape jobs.
Stuart
Sydney Australia

ProMo
07-26-2004, 08:03 AM
st aug seeds are sterile

drsogr
07-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Good looking lawn there, does ST. Augistine grow like Bermuda? Does it spread like crazy?

Sooners
07-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by drsogr
Good looking lawn there, does ST. Augistine grow like Bermuda? Does it spread like crazy?

St. Augistine spreads out with long runners. It grows very good in the shade and is fast growing. It requires a lot of water, warm temps. and you have to be careful with herbicide applications. Many that work for Bermuda will harm S.A. Basically it's nothing like bermuda. It is a thick bladed grass and cuts beautifully. Bermuda will show any irregularities in mowing and S.A. will hide most of it.

o-so-n-so
07-27-2004, 10:30 PM
I maintain a few St. A lawn and I will say they are my favorite ones. I cut on 3" weekly and they are weed free and full of green. Very nice grass IMO.

drsogr
07-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Sounds like pretty cool stuff, I like the whole runner concept, since it tends to fill in the yard nicely, but I really hate the way Burmuda looks.

Sooners
07-27-2004, 10:37 PM
The problem with the runners is they are very invasive and get into flower beds, etc. But so does Bermuda.

txlawnking
07-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Sooners
St. Augistine spreads out with long runners. It grows very good in the shade and is fast growing. It requires a lot of water, warm temps. and you have to be careful with herbicide applications. Many that work for Bermuda will harm S.A. Basically it's nothing like bermuda. It is a thick bladed grass and cuts beautifully. Bermuda will show any irregularities in mowing and S.A. will hide most of it.

Sooner, I don't know who told you that St.Augustine thrives in the shade, but you were missled.. It will do OK ( real thin ) in partial shade, but will thin out and die in heavy shade.. In fact, I don't know of any turfgrass that will grow well without LOTS of direct sunlight...Other wise you are correct in the info you posted. And it is very invasive into beds and such..

Sooners
07-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Nobody had to tell me S.A. grows good in the shade. I have 2 eyes to see it myself. Compared to Bermuda, St. A does grow very good in the shade. I didn't mean that it "thrives", but if it's solid enough to be mowable, I think that's pretty good in a shady area. An example is my own house here in Ar. I had nothing but dirt for a front yard (literally) because of my oak trees. So I put Zoysia sod out and it does very good. Not as good as if it had lots of sunlight, but darn good for mostly shade. Agreed if S.A. gets NO sunlight it won't grow. But some of the lawns I mow have huge oak and pecan trees (3' or so in dia.) with very nice shade and S.A. up to the trunks. Obviously some sun is getting in. If your trees are tall enough you can trim the bottom limbs way up. BTW, The lit. the state puts out by the Univ. of Ar. states that S.A. is best for shade, Centipede next and then Zoysia. Forget Bermuda.

Also, I lived in Houston for 12 years with S.A. and it grew decently well under my trees there. Not thick, but decent. The soil is also better here than I had in Tx.