PDA

View Full Version : Pay for sharpening your blades?

drsogr
07-25-2004, 09:42 PM
How could anyone pay to have someone sharpen their blades? It is so easy to do, I tried it for the first time with a 4" DeWalt bench grinder, worked great. I am sure someone around here is going to give me cra* for just now trying it. I have read alot on here about the Magna-Matic balancer. I would like to get a quality balancer. Does anyone else make a quality balancer? Theres look nice, but I figured I would look and see if there were any more companies out there. Is it really safe to spin a blade just being held by a magnet, or does it not spin really fast? I have never seen one in action.

Albemarle Lawn
07-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Now with many employees (none of which could properly sharpen a blade to save his life) I have so much to do I would love to farm out the BS task of blade sharpening. It is a miserable task and I always find myself sharpening in a rush on a last-minute basis because I have no sharp blades on hand, just dozens of dull spares.

Would like to know what to expect to pay per blade if I drop of 24+ at a time with a shop for expert sharpening and balancing.

KB

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Never sharpened a blade in my life. Don't have a grinder, no desire to get one.

I drop off 6-12 at a time at a local shop, they charge 1-2$ a blade. One thing less I have to do.

walker-talker
07-25-2004, 09:53 PM
I know a guy here locally that has been in business for about 13 years, has 150 accounts and still pays $4 a blade to be sharpened.

Shoot me a PM drsogr, I have a quality balancer laying around.

GreenMonster
07-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by SouthernFried
Never sharpened a blade in my life. Don't have a grinder, no desire to get one.

I drop off 6-12 at a time at a local shop, they charge 1-2$ a blade. One thing less I have to do.

Now that's worth it.

drsogr
07-25-2004, 10:37 PM
I would have to say $1-$2 is worth it! Although even if it is a good deal. I always think there is a lot more pride when doing it yourself, if you have the time. Its just like bring your car to walmart to have the oil changed, the price is right. But you have to drop the car off, time when to be back, or just sit around for an hour and a half. When you could have spent a couple of minutes and did yourself. Heck you didn't even have to leave your house.

timturf
07-25-2004, 11:07 PM
$5 per blade here

HOOLIE
07-25-2004, 11:09 PM
I've started sharpening my own. Use a little grindstone that goes on the end of my electric drill. Doesn't do as fine a job as a real grinder, but with a little practice its gotten the job done.

My dealer charges $5 per blade, so thats at least $10 per week or more for a 36. Plus, now they make you wait at least a day to get them back. Hard enough to find time to stop by the dealer once a week. They used to do them while I waited.

Thinking about buying an inexpensive bench grinder to make the task easier.

ken50
07-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Hey Southern Fried, where is the shop that does the blades so cheap? Do they use an angle grinder, or is it done on a blade sharpener? I might be interested in taking mine there...

dlandscaping
07-25-2004, 11:27 PM
A guy up the street works at a metal shop and has a grinder in his house. Sharpens all our blades for free. Hes really good at it and gets all the knicks out.

Itsgottobegreen
07-25-2004, 11:51 PM
The small engine shop I worked at when I was 14 charged $7 a blade. I charge my neighbor's who mow there own lawns for sharping. A few friends come over and use my sharpener. But they have to do it themselves. I usually get a case of root beer (not 21 yet)for letting them use it.

I charge per straight blade
1-$10
2-$15
3-$20
Which includes, wire brushing, sharping and balancing. I do about 12 blades a month for neighbors.

Sooners
07-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Wow! $5-$10/blade to sharpen. I pay from $8-$10 for new ones (hi-lift or gator for my 60" Lazer). I sharpen my own on a belt sander. Puts a nice edge but takes a little longer than a grinder. If I could find someone for $1-$2 I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't run doubles just cause I'd have to sharpen twice as many.

BobR
07-26-2004, 07:33 AM
Five years ago my dealer was charging 7 bucks to sharpen and balance (on a 3 dollar cone balancer) one straight edge blade. I made the decision right then and there to purchase a dedicated grinder (Fireball) and a quality balancer (magnetic / bearing). I keep my blades 'sharp' - read daily- and at that rate the system I have has paid for itself many times over. At the time I purchasced the grinder I was thinking of offering 'Blade Sharpening' as a side business, started getting the 'wavey' multi level mulching blades from homeowners and promptly went 'Out Of Business' - what a pain in the kiester those blades are. If YOU are even thinking about such a move (sharpening business) look into the high end Magna - Matic machine which allows you to sharpen the 'wavey' blades properly.

BobR

BryPaulD
07-26-2004, 07:42 AM
I just sharpened my blade yesterday. I have a nice ol grinder I got when great grandpa died. I just ground on the same angle the blade was sharpened before, until it was sharp again. *hope it's balanced*

wriken
07-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by BryPaulD
I just sharpened my blade yesterday. I have a nice ol grinder I got when great grandpa died. I just ground on the same angle the blade was sharpened before, until it was sharp again. *hope it's balanced*

I have'nt balanced a blade in 3+ years, no spindle problems as of yet.
I also hate sharpening blades, usually a last minute thing. I swear every winter I will sharpen them all, ya right.

ratherbeboating
07-26-2004, 11:53 AM
I sharpen the myself on a regular table grinder......rather poorly I might add. I've checked around and the people I've called want $8.00 per blade, not worth it in my opinion. I'm saving up for a dedicated blade grinder.

At $8 per blade it doesn't take long to recoup the money for the grinder.

jim

bobcat175
07-26-2004, 12:53 PM
I figure if you are already spending the time to remove and put them back on then you might as well sharpen them yourself. Save the hassle of driving somewhere and waiting on them.

By the way how do you properly balance a blade? I wouldn't think that you could take off more on one side during sharpening to the point that it would make a difference.

seven-up
07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
at $8 a blade, i would just buy a new one for 7.25.

wouldn't have to sharpen anything, and i would save 75 cents on top of that!!!!

john

ratherbeboating
07-26-2004, 12:59 PM
$7.25 per blade........shoot, my dealer gets $11.00 per blade. I'm looking into buying some bulk ones at $8.00 per blade.

so where can I get them for $7.25?

Jim

furball3
07-26-2004, 01:19 PM
I just had to buy a set of blades after mowing a new acct. The grass hadnt been mowed in over 2 months & I could not see a lot of small tree stumps &half burried rocks/boulders... IT ruined the set I had on & had just sharpened. I told the client what had happened (they heard a few of my "hits" followed by words I didnt mean to say.) They agreed to pay for a new set of blades. (they can afford a 500k house on 8 acres but cant afford to have it mowed???????)

I paid $15 a blade from the Dane dealer I went to. I CRINGED when he told me how much they were going to be.:eek:

I sharpen my blades. I use a bench grinder with a jig set up to make sure I have the same angle on all blades. Also makes it easier to just pull the blade across. Then I dress the blade with a file.

I check the balance my placing a 3/16th dowell in my vice and placing the blade on it. Doing my best to center the blade across dowell. I figure it if can balance on a dowell that small its got to be dang close to being balanced right.

GreenMonster
07-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Bobcat 175 -- neat avatar!

Where in NH are you?

Stripe This
07-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Same here....$5 a blade. It's killer.