PDA

View Full Version : MULCHING w/52" and up decks?

Envy Lawn Service
07-25-2004, 11:23 PM
I know there are some out there running mulch kits with much sucess on 52" eXmarks....but what about bigger decks and also other brands?

Cut 2 Please
07-25-2004, 11:39 PM
I took a mulch kit for a 60" exmark and fabricated it to fit the 61" deck on the Ferris I just sold. It work exceptional.

Envy Lawn Service
07-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Cool!!! Never thought of that!

Ferris does need to get on the ball and design a good mulch kit. I'm sure they can handle that. They have 'IS' for god's sake!

lawnchopper
07-26-2004, 12:19 AM
we have 52" Walker with a discharge deck and we bought the mulch kit to go with it. It has a 6 blade set up it does fine when the grass isnt grown as much but if the grass is thick and long it leaves clumps.

Envy Lawn Service
07-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Anybody else out there?

Tonyr
07-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Well yeah, I sometimes use the mulch kit on my Toro Z588E, 60'' deck, goes great, last time I used the mulch kit I used recycle blades and atomics, love to try raptors, but side discharging is faster for me.

Envy Lawn Service
07-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Tony,

Yeah, I remember the pics of the mulch kit. It's an interesting system with those wedge kickers. Anyways, so you are saying the kit just really slowed you down too much? Put a heavy load on the engine? That's a 28hp EFI on the Z588E right?

Humm.... sounds like maybe you really need a TON of extra power for mulching with the big decks???

mowhigh
07-27-2004, 04:26 AM
Just starting mulching (single gators) on a Country Clipper Charger (23hp/52") and much better than I had hoped. No blowout and able to mow at the same speed as when discharging. Most surprised that the deck was actually easier to clean - expected a lot more scraping, not quite a bit less!

Envy Lawn Service
07-27-2004, 09:30 AM
mowhigh,

Is the CC mulch kit still just a block off plate and small arc baffle thingy? Or is it something different now? Any pictures by chance?

2k1yzfr1
07-27-2004, 10:28 AM
I had a mulch kit on my Z500 52" toro with a 27 kohler and I didn't like it at all, but then again I put it on there when we were getting 2-3 inches of rain every week and our St Augustine was growing 6-8 inches a week. The mulch kit just robbed too much HP and didn't seem to save anytime. I might put it back on just to see how it does now we are in a drought.

FERT-TEK
07-27-2004, 11:57 AM
I am verry impressed with the performance with the Toro mulch kit for the 52" Z-500 with the standard mulch blades that came with the kit. The bluegrass lawns I do up here in the midwest look like they have been bagged instead of mulched. It also has done a pretty good job on the small ammount of leaves that I have come across. One final note, my machine is also striping much better than before.

Tonyr
07-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Tony,

Yeah, I remember the pics of the mulch kit. It's an interesting system with those wedge kickers. Anyways, so you are saying the kit just really slowed you down too much? Put a heavy load on the engine? That's a 28hp EFI on the Z588E right?

Humm.... sounds like maybe you really need a TON of extra power for mulching with the big decks???

Yeah Envy, mulching does require more donkeys, but mulch mowing is meant for maintained lawns, I was in a very busy wet summer tackling very wet overgrown 'lawns' cutting off several inches off of bermuda in one pass, the machine rocked, great cut, great mulch abilities but compared to side discharging it was slower, and being as it is a pain to install and more rougher work came in, side discharging was best for most, where the mulch kit can't do the jungles like pictured on mw web site.

I love mulching, but a lot of my work isn't well maintained and while the mulch kit gives the best finish most of my clients don't care enough to notice, so to save I just side discharge now....until I get a big job requiring mulching of course.

The power of the 28 EFI is amazing, the mulch kit on the 60'' deck is great, but not meant for clearing jungles, vacant blocks etc which I do a lot of.

The kickers are magic!

Envy Lawn Service
07-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Keep it coming guys...

Thanks for that info on the 27/52 Toro Z500 by the way...
That one and other 27/52 machines are of interest to me, mostly because I like the ratios since I run 25/48....

One question that's unrealated to this though...
What do you owners think about the machine as far as the rear tire size goes? 23x9.5 right? Do you feel they provide enough floatation?... What about better grip than the wider tires?

FERT-TEK
07-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Loose Loose for my Toro regarding traction. The tires slip going downhill if inflated properly and if I let a few PSI out of the tires for better traction and ride comfort they tend to tear the lawn on turns. It doesn't matter how careful I am when "Y" turning.

One more thing about the 52" mulching kit on the Toro. It comes in two pieces and doesn't go on very easily. I consider myself fairly mechanical when it comes to these type of things but this kit took about 1 1/2 hr to put on. Granted this was the first time I put it on but the bolt holes didn't line up as they should.

I went out and did more lawns after my last post and wish it were possible to leave it on year round those wedge kickers must make a huge difference. Cant wait to use it in the fall on those pesky leaves.