PDA

View Full Version : Smoking while mowing?!

drsogr
07-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Smoking while mowing? I saw a guy today smoking a pipe while mowing! In todays world, you look very unprofessionable smoking in front of a customer. Heck, I hate even smelling a salesperson that smokes. What do you guys think?

robertsturf
07-25-2004, 10:41 PM
I think it looks unprofessional!!! Almost as bad as the guys you see without shirts on.

Tonyr
07-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Yep, I see it around here, usually the less than pro types of mowing service if you know what I mean, looks bad.

Seen cig. butts on lawns from these guys, shocking! But hey, if they are cheap enough, the cheap client doesn't care!

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Guilty as charged.

However, now I'm working solo...if I had crews, there's a lotta things I do that I wouldn't want them doing.

Hypocrisy?

Guilty as charged.

:)

chefdrp
07-25-2004, 10:45 PM
cant stand it. gives us a bad image.

drsogr
07-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Tonyr
Yep, I see it around here, usually the less than pro types of mowing service if you know what I mean, looks bad.

Seen cig. butts on lawns from these guys, shocking! But hey, if they are cheap enough, the cheap client doesn't care!

Wow, Cig. butts on the lawn? I would have a real problem with that if I was the Customer. Nothing like leaving trash behind for someone that pays you to clean their yard up. This how the mowing industry gets a bad rap.

Tonyr
07-25-2004, 10:57 PM
My exact point....smoking is bad enough, but leaving butts etc is discusting, but like I said there seems to be a market for these grubs as long as they are ultra cheap, I guess their arguement is that next cut they suck the butts up...and one or 2 ain't really going to make a difference...

a lot of people don't care as long as the grass is cut, these types deserve these grub mower services.

Landscapers are the worse....rubbish everywhere blown into the fences etc, those guys CAN be shockers with trash control, they think the mowing service is there to clean after them!

odin
07-25-2004, 10:57 PM
while their token and smoking ...maybe if the morons catch on fire or catch the mower on fire and blow their idiot self up ......they might learn a lesson .....smoke smoke smoke and whe you smoke your self to death ..tell saint peter at the golden gate ......i just gotta wait ..i gotta have another ....cigaretteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...........

ANYBODY WHO SMOKES ANYTIME ARE IDIOTS BUT WHILE RUNNING MOWERS AND POWER EQUIPMENT DOUBLE IDIOTS

Tonyr
07-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Consider a weed "smoked" after it goes under my Toro Z588E's Turbo Force Deck running Raptor Blades! LOL!

A point there Odin....what about safety with feuls, burning the mower seat, hot ash drops through your lap and you jump trying to flick it away and you crash a 10 K ZTR....can happen...

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Damn, I'm feeling a little embarassed here. Not like I'm raping kids or anything...

Man...err...anyone got a smoke?

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by odin
while their token and smoking ...maybe if the morons catch on fire or catch the mower on fire and blow their idiot self up ......they might learn a lesson .....smoke smoke smoke and whe you smoke your self to death ..tell saint peter at the golden gate ......i just gotta wait ..i gotta have another ....cigaretteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...........

ANYBODY WHO SMOKES ANYTIME ARE IDIOTS BUT WHILE RUNNING MOWERS AND POWER EQUIPMENT DOUBLE IDIOTS

Harsh, but true.. If I were a potential client and I even suspected the LCO smoked, he wouldn't be doing any work for me,

HOOLIE
07-25-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm guilty of taking my shirt off occasionally (I know it doesn't look good, but I'm trying to make it thru the day without falling out, so cut me some slack on that one.) But I've never smoked on someone's lawn. I mean, most of my lawns take 30-40 mins., if I can't make it that long without a smoke than I need to get a job at RJ Reynolds.

Last week, one of my customers had hired this old geezer to waterstain their deck. The guy had a cigarette dangling from his mouth the entire time he was working. And he kept tossing them out on the lawn. That just looks bad.

SouthernFried
07-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Cars are power equipment...

Don't worry tho...I'll die sooner than ya'll...then, you can have all my accounts. You'll be rich and independently wealthy. Customers will be knocking on your door...women will be stalking you...famous people will wanna hang out with you.

And with all that fame and fortune...you'll start smoking.

I'm just happy I haven't gotten all drugged-up like all those other famous dudes on MTV.

Then again...I hear Eric Clapton has some great rehab resort on some remote island. I think I could relate with him.

As that great and famous American Philosopher, Kid Rock, once said..."it ain't easy being me."

HOOLIE
07-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Hey Southern Fried-

I'm with you buddy. If your running solo, than you are allowed the occasional hypocritical action. When its all on your shoulders you do whatever you feel necessary to get thru the day, image be d***ed. Just tell your customers to stand upwind.

geogunn
07-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by drsogr
I saw a guy today smoking a pipe while mowing! In todays world, you look very unprofessionable smoking in front of a customer. What do you guys think?

I don't equate smoking a pipe to smoking a cigarette.

and of course we are only talking about smoking tobacco.

GEO

crawdad
07-26-2004, 08:44 AM
But of course. I never knew a lawn guy that would touch "that other stuff."
Crawdad

GreenMonster
07-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by HOOLIE
I'm guilty of taking my shirt off occasionally (I know it doesn't look good, but I'm trying to make it thru the day without falling out, so cut me some slack on that one.)

I go shirtless from time to time. I try to reserve it for when owner isn't home, locations are not high traffic, or the ballfields we mow that are off the beaten path.

BALDEAGLE
07-26-2004, 08:58 AM
(THOUGH I AM HIGHLY AGAINST THROWWING BUTTS ON CUSTOMERS LAWNS)...don't smoke here, can't smoke there.
NOW YOU WANNA TRY TO TELL ME I CANT SMOKE IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS. GET A FU666NG GRIP!!! EVER HEAR OF A LITTLE THING CALLED FREEDOM ? what the h*ll country did i wake up in this morning ,anyhow.

odorisio
07-26-2004, 09:27 AM
i go shirtless on the large properties we do, i also go shirtless on landscape installs, go ahead and flame me all you want, but thats how i do.

ElephantNest
07-26-2004, 09:52 AM
I never go shirtless. If I want a cigarrette, I smoke one. Over half of my customers smoke anyway, I stick my butts in my pocket until I get to the truck, never throwing them anywhere on or near the property. I admit, I try to limit smoking to traveling between jobs, but it doesn't always work out that way. If I lose a job over my personal habit, so be it, screw 'em, didn't want them anyway.

I have a clean truck/equipment, company shirts, do great work, am respectful and kind to all clients and smoking has nothing to do with success.

Littleriver1
07-26-2004, 10:01 AM
I used to smoke. I quit at 12:30 PM on 1-7-97. I smoked for 30 some years like most people in my age group. I was laying on the living room floor, waiting for the 911 operator to answer when the light came on. I believe I wouldn't be alive and healthy if I still smoked. Stopping is a really hard thing to do and I probably make people go nuts when I tell them I quit cold turkey. I don't get down on people when I see them smoking and I don't preach. I know what it was like. I think if you're a smoke nazi, that your probably also anal about other stuff. I don't know what customers think when they see people smoking on their lawns. None of us would blow smoke in a customers face while signing a contract. When they see someone smoking on their lawn and if they are anal, then you may be blowing smoke in their face. I really don't care eather way, your probably a good person if you smoke. So here it comes, click the back button or read on. The world knows with out any dought that you will die at a young age if you smoke.

scott in the soo
07-26-2004, 10:50 AM
i never smoke while on a site or talking to a customer, but as soon as i get in the truck to go to the next job, i light up...