PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a mower.

Kingbman1
07-26-2004, 02:07 AM
I am going to get my first walk behind next spring, my 21 incher wont do anymore. I am going to have around 15 lawns, that are anywhere from 5-10,000 square ft. I really dont want to spend more than $3,000 on it. I prefer around 2,500. if you guys could help me decide what size and brand to get? thanks

EastTnLC
07-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Scag 61" hydro WB or if you can find one with the budget your on is a Turf Tiger 61" or a Tiger Cub 52".

KL Squared
07-26-2004, 10:22 AM
A commercial grade 36 incher if most of your lawns are residential. This will allow you to get into backyard gates and not have to get your 21 incher out. A hydro would be nice but a belt drive would be cheaper.

mkwl
07-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Get a Bob-Cat, 48", belt drive, w/ 15 hp Kawasaki engine!!!! I love mine!!!! Its quality of cut and striping are absolutely fantastic!!!!! It is built like a tank, and bags the clippings really well. I have a jumbo Grass Gobbler for it, and it works great!!!! I get mine at my dealer brand new for $3,350.

soonerlawns
07-26-2004, 10:03 PM
You should be able to get an exmark metro 32" or 36" fixed deck WB for around $2,500.

2tall
07-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Check out Ferris. I believe they still have 0% for 36 months. There are a couple of good ferris dealers here in town.

FrankenScagMachines
07-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by 2tall
Check out Ferris. I believe they still have 0% for 36 months. There are a couple of good ferris dealers here in town.
Yes and that deal is over at the end of this month so get movin! Check out a Ferris single drive hydro 36Ē I think that fits your bill. Itís affordable in your price range, will do a great job for you, the 36 month deal canít be beat (itís what Iím using). And I have heard of guys pulling sulky behind them (riding attachment). 36Ē will probably go everywhere for you and on the larger jobs I think it will be a bit faster than a 32Ē. Iíd go measure your gates before buying though! Measure the mowers before buying also, a 32Ē mower will be wider than 32Ē and same for a 36Ē. I went from a 32Ē Gravely to a 36Ē eXmark and still fit through all my gates, even ones that I didnít think Iíd make it through. A couple of the wooden gates are tight but the chain link ones I have plenty of room.
I would recommend Ferris highly, but check out the dealer closely, speak to some of their commercial customers!!! I canít say how important this is. I got burned with mine somehow. I knew the owner from church we used to go to, well guess what Iím getting treated like a rodent there. No other dealers very close either. If the dealer is good, go for a Ferris single drive hydro walk behind. Better than belt drive and same price but cheaper than a dual hydro (donít think you need dual hydro right now). Ferris has a 2 year full warranty on parts and labor too!

Kingbman1
07-28-2004, 03:15 AM
thanks for all the advice!

I think i have found the mower im going to buy. A local dealer quoted me $2,050 on a 36inch lesco belt. Ive heard some good things about it and the price seems good. tell me what you guys think.

Liberty Lawncare
07-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I got a lesco 48 belt drive 15 hp kawi for my first mower. I used these mowers with a company I worked for. They are verry reliable. The 48 belt drive was 2500 new. I recently got a price on a lesco 52 hydro drive it is only 3700. I like my 48 belt but at 3700 the 52 hydro is the best deal. good luck hope this helped.