PDA

View Full Version : Stripes - Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Steve1
07-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Just curious - do any of you run into customers who DON'T want the stripes? My own personal preference could go either way; sometimes I love the definition stripes bring but other times, I like the yard to look like a green carpet.

How about you? Love 'em or Hate 'em? How about your customers?

BCSteel
07-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Most places that I do really like them because it makes their props stand out. On the other hand I have 1 prop that insists that I cut low enough that it wont stripe. They are convinced that because they can see the stripes from the grass being bent in opposite directions that it isnt getting cut. No matter how much I explain that because the deck is out front it has to be getting cut, they still dont believe me! Oh well, its their browned out lawns that will look like crap for the next 6 weeks till it starts raining again.

walker-talker
07-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Cut nice, trim well, define the edges and do an excellent job cleaning up. If the lawn stripes....thats a bonus.

dcondon
07-26-2004, 06:42 PM
sure like laying down nice stripes!!!!

Ryan Lightning
07-26-2004, 07:36 PM
I prefer no strips, and no hedged shrubs. All natural looks much better.

Avery
07-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
I prefer no strips, and no hedged shrubs. All natural looks much better.

Same here. I HATE tightly trimmed shrubs and stripes are for baseball diamonds IMO. Give me the natural look anyday.

txlawnking
07-26-2004, 08:28 PM
I don't really think they are such a big deal...

imograss
07-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Striping makes me enjoy mowing, however I don't think most clients could care less.

rtyus
07-26-2004, 08:55 PM
I really like the looks of stripes but unfortunately our warm weather grasses down here just don't hold stripes very well.
Especially bahia when you scalp it today and it's 2 feet high in a week.

Tonyr
07-26-2004, 09:33 PM
I prefer the more natural look, highly manicured lawns and gardens don't do it for me, but country Australia is more relaxed about such stuff. We don't generally stripe here due to grass type and height and clents don't care anyway.

But due to the fact my Toro stripes even on stuff I thought was not possible to look good a stripe must be perfect or it looks bad.

Either perfect stripes or none, I sway towards none unless a sports field, and then I think I would still prefer a non striped field.

But like I said, stripes aren't the go here anyway, especially those deep stripes you guys have.

qualitylandscaping
07-26-2004, 09:36 PM
there is no such thing as "not striping" around here. You can put a mower on the crappiest, most weed ridden lawn and it will still stripe..

odin
07-26-2004, 09:57 PM
There is a old scottish proverb(my scottish proverb anyway lol)Striped lawns are like italian women ......the best looking in their respective categories period.

CJ GreenScapes
07-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker
Cut nice, trim well, define the edges and do an excellent job cleaning up. If the lawn stripes....thats a bonus.

I agree. It's hard to get these Southern grasses to stripe anyway, so it is not the norm around here.

chefdrp
07-26-2004, 10:41 PM
i cant mow a lawn without a stripe.

dvmcmrhp52
07-26-2004, 10:45 PM
We just did a $100 cut,one of the comments was to the effect that the previous service didn't do any stripes.

Not really sure how that's possible,but................

Most people like their lawn with it's stripes after a fresh cut.
I've never heard any one complain.

By the way,we do run striping rollers on the mowers.

GreenMonster
07-26-2004, 10:47 PM
All the hub-bub about striping on this site, do you know the "pro-stripers" are only at 65% right now.

BTW, I contributed to the majority:)

craigs lawncare
07-26-2004, 11:21 PM
I have a turflex lawn striper.
Not only does it improve the looks of the lawn when I am finished but it makes the job much more enjoyable to do.
I have had to many compliments by customers and people passing by to discontinue using my striper.

Craig

TrueTrim1
07-27-2004, 01:00 AM
I don't care either way. Down here 99% of the lawns are San Augustine unless they are a sports field or a golf course. I don't know that I've ever seen any LCO's try to stripe San Augustine or how well it would even work. I do like many of the photos of striped lawns I've seen here on this website. I just don't ever see any in the area I live in and service. The perfectly clean, smooth, uniform carpet look is preferred here.

Doster's L & L
07-27-2004, 01:42 AM
i love the look of striped fescue lawns, but the summer grass, like others have said, just don't hold a stripe too well. I still try to cut high enough to stripe anyway. 4" - 4.25"

jonnyg
07-28-2004, 01:30 AM
all my customers like stripes or at least dont mind them. i only have about 20 accounts, mostly commercial, btu im happy to say they all take pride in their lawn and arent afraid to spend a little cash on it. i personally love stripes. i think it makes the property stand out and catches the eye of people driving by. i also like it because im a perfectionist and i can see exactly how straight each pass is. kind of weird but my personal preference

Fescue Farmer
07-28-2004, 01:45 AM
Stripes? Gotta love 'em!!!!! :)

ScCo
07-28-2004, 03:04 AM
almost embarassing to post a pic after one of fescue farmer's pics as his work is VERY impressive, but I like laying stripes on the yards where I can.

Danimal
07-28-2004, 09:49 AM
I don't get you guys that say you can't stripe southern grasses. I have lawns with bermuda, centipede and st. aug. They all stripe well. Even that nasty bahia will hold a stripe for 2 or3 days. Maybe its your mower I cut everything with my Walker. I pick up about a customer a week because my lawns look better. Alot of mow and blow guys slow down to watch us cut. I wonder how many of the people that voted against the stripe just can't do it that well.

Expert Lawns
07-28-2004, 01:35 PM
everyone aroudn here stripes, but i dont' think homeowners care that much. just as long as you don't mow circles they are happy.

I can't NOT stripe. Gives me something to do while mowing, also gives me a sense of satisfaction when I improve on it.

GreenMonster
07-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Expert, those are pretty nice! Good luck improving those!

Steve1
07-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Nice stripes there, expert!