PDA

View Full Version : aeration and seed equipment for old guys

HBFOXJr
07-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Although exercise is good, my body is physically unable to take the pounding of muscling around walk behind aerators and seeding equipment. I figure anything good for me would also be good for my guys moral, bodies and productivity too.

I own a PG spreader and would like easy to handle equipment capable of getting through the same small areas as the PG, ie: 36" openings for the most part.

I know there have or are aerators for the front of Walker mowers and another one I saw here a year or 2 ago for the front of ztr mowers that raises and lowers.

I already own a split drive aerator, 48" tow behind aerator and Ryan Mataway slit seeder. I want easier, less physical, operation that produces a quality job.

A "seeding system" with a power unit of a 36" hydro walk behind with removable 1. core aerator, 2. slit seeder (drop would do like blue bird) and 3. s tined wheel rake like a hay rake to move the resultant debris quickly would be great. Put it on a Walker or equivilent riding piece, better yet.

What do you guys know or what have you built?

ToniDavies
07-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Jrco Inc makes aerators and spreaders for walk behind units. Visit www.jrcoinc.com

Tscape
07-26-2004, 02:13 PM
www.z-spray.com has an aerator.

TSM
07-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Perma Green sells an aerator that sets up on the ultra unit. or you can easily get it to fit the centri unit (on centris you will need to modify the breaks)
Basicly it is a sulky that replaces the one on the ride-on...so your body weight drives the tines into the ground.

These are not core aerators but solid tine aerators.

I personally do not recommend them.... actually forgive this reply,they aint worth the $1700...but if you are interested I'll give you a great deal on one we have that has been used on only 2 lawns.

DUSTYCEDAR
07-26-2004, 05:03 PM
here u go this should help

Turf Medic
07-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Check out the z-spray aerator, when I talked to the owner a while back he said they were considering adding a overseeder option to the unit. Not sure if they went anywhere with that, but should be an easy add on.

TSM
07-27-2004, 03:54 PM
best solution i have come up with after trying everything else (havnt tried the Z Plugger, looks like an outstanding piece of equipment) But the best thing i have come up with (I am about to have my 50th birthday).................................

hire an able bodied 20 something year old! :)

James Cormier
07-27-2004, 06:44 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77532
Check out this thread for some aeration ideas

TSM, you really make me laugh sometimes, but thats probley the best idea yet:jester:

HayBay
07-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I like it. I guess the best way to describe it is like plowing snow. Drop the piston to do a pass then raise the piston at the end, like lifting/pushing snow over the curb. There is a routine I get into to line the ztr up when doing the next pass. You cant turn when the tines are in. Good penetration, 3 3/4 Inch max when soil is wet. Fast, Nice unit, cheaper than ZPlugr. I have put a mounting bracket for the Gator Rator on a 32" walkbehind. I have only tested is a couple of times, I am waiting for the ground to soften up here. The Ztr puts plenty of weight on the tines. There are 2 modular attachments you can get for another $800 that upgrade Tines 32" approx to 56". Fast as can be.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72121&highlight=gator

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73987&highlight=gator

HBFOXJr
07-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I've talked to the z plug people. Is there a web site for the Gator Rator?

What about seeding equipment. Anything progressive out there?

HayBay
07-29-2004, 05:47 PM
http://www.gator-rator.com/

ant
07-29-2004, 06:40 PM
harold:i have been useing my aeravator to aerate and or seeding...
pto tractor driven...
i still work alone and i was thinking about looking into the ride-on-aerator...if you are interested in it i can contact a guy not far from us that has one...
anthony

HBFOXJr
08-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Ant - Why not just email me the guys name and phone number? When I talked to a guy with Z Ploug, he was supposed to get back to me with some names. They are making some deliveries here in the east this week.

HBFOXJr
08-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Anything innnovative with slit seeding or debris handlung from slit seeding?

HBFOXJr
08-11-2004, 07:27 AM
Anything new or innovative out there with slit seeders or debris cleanup and handling from slit seeding.

Anyone know of a small portable blower that could be used for blowing baled peat or other top dressing material? I know there are truck units for this and topdressing machines for sand mixes on golf courses.

Such a device would be nice for top dressing small lawn seed jobs or patches in existing lawns.

oasis2010
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Ive got 2 z plugrs for sale run great very easy and fast quality prjcooper@oasisturf.comoduction

grassmasterswilson
07-12-2010, 04:32 PM
I am a solo and try to get some high school boys to help with fall aeration and seeding. I have been using my z-spray to spread fescue. Works pretty well.

As far as aeration. I really want a turf solutions ride on. but at 8500 it would take me a ton of aerations and years to pay it off. It could be a niche in my area since I don't see much aeration going on. What value do you put on a body that isn't worn down?

phasthound
07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
What value do you put on a body that isn't worn down?

You need to ask your wife or girl friend that question, not us. :)