PDA

View Full Version : new guy be gentle

bently
07-26-2004, 01:01 PM
first great site ive learned alot already.i recently became the super for a couple of cemetaries outside mobile al. the old super will be fired tomarrow. thank god. as little knowledge i have about soils and grasses he knew less. what i have is very sandy soil on a hilltop location. not a steep hill at all just a gradual slope about a mile long the grass is in terrible shape. the past super had been telling his boss that because its sandy clay filled soil nothing will grow.i dont believe that. ive seen golf course on beaches so i know it can be done with a little effort.(and cash) ive been giving a decent budget to get the job done but id like to show the new boss i can get it done w/out bankrupting the company. what would be my first course of action to get my grass growing? i.e. what type of grass, additives, fertalizers, ect. thanx in advance and again great site! Bently

timturf
07-26-2004, 01:03 PM
SOIL TEST, includes base saturation, sodium, and minors

bently
07-26-2004, 01:15 PM
ok maybe i wasnt very clear. im a moron when it comes to lawncare. i wouldnt know how to go about doing a soil test. lol.is this something i can do myself? thanx for the response i apprecitate all the help i can get. i got this job because the one quality i have is that im very good at motivating people to work. i didnt get because of lawn care knowledge.thanx Bently

timturf
07-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Go to your county extension office, ask for help on soil test, and get any literature they have for lawn care , ect

bently
07-27-2004, 04:05 PM
thanx tim thats the kinda info i need. i wasnt aware you could do such a thing. really appriciate the help. i was noticing today that the places were i have the most trouble (bare spots) is under the trees in the shade. it looks like im going to have to find some grass that doesnt mind growning in the shade.thanx again.Bently