PDA

View Full Version : Growing Pains

mastercare
07-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Having growing pains, and looking to see how you all did it.

I'm a solo operation right now, and spend half the week doing lawn maint. The other half, I have another job (which isn't as successful).

Looking at the possibility of adding an employee for next season, and here's the problem: Right now I have enough work for one person (me) 2-3 days a week. Obviously I'd like to be bigger next year. The problem comes in where I'd like to have 3 days of full work for 2 of us. Where can you find a dependable employee who wants to work for 3 days a week? Most college guys are only available for half the season becuase of school. High School kids aren't an option I like, and again the school issue.

So, do I take the plunge and find enough work to give my new employee I longer week? If so, and the employee is worthless or leaves, then I have more work than I can handle on my own. Don't want to be stuck with more than I can handle, but also need to grow a little bit.

So, I'll shorten this up...since I'm getting long winded. Where can you find an employee who will work 3 days a week, and how can I ensure that I won't take on too much work, and be stuck doing it myself?

Any advice or experience with how YOUR company dealt with this type of expansion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

twins_lawn_care
07-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Not sure of your situation, but looking at it from the outside, I'd say why not get some extra work, and go at it full time solo!
Sounds like it is successful for you thus far, and if you can be more successful at it then your other job, it would be a natural switch over for you. I hope to be in your shoes in 3 years, and I sure know I'd rather be working for myself then!

good luck in whatever you do, but that's my 2 cents

kevin85
07-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Check the local schools for a TEACHER who wants to work part time. I bet there will be more than one who will take you up on it.

Trevors Lawn Care
07-26-2004, 01:36 PM
do what i did. Have a brothe help ya out. We work three days per week, and i work at radio shack, and he works at ruby tuesdays on the off days. Next year we are looking to add about 5 more jobs per day, and also one extra day. Work 4 days at about 8 hours.

Trevor

PMLAWN
07-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Check with a trade school. We have NASCAR Tech. here in Mooresville, and they go in the AM or the PM so we can pick them up for 1/2 a day. Will not work for the 3 full days but maybe see if you can work 1/2 days. Or work by yourself all AM and have a guy help in the PM when you start to wear out.

LwnmwrMan22
07-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Look for a small church in the area, with a Pastor or someone that works there. Sometimes they are looking for something extra to do if the congregation isn't the greatest.

Also, I'd stay solo, personally.

What you're going to have to look for, is someone that not only wants to work 3 days / week, but always the same 3 days that you're able to.

Another point, what if it rains on 2 of the 3 days that you originally were going to work, gotta make sure that person is still available.

Trevors Lawn Care
07-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by LwnmwrMan22
Look for a small church in the area, with a Pastor or someone that works there. Sometimes they are looking for something extra to do if the congregation isn't the greatest.

Also, I'd stay solo, personally.

What you're going to have to look for, is someone that not only wants to work 3 days / week, but always the same 3 days that you're able to.

Another point, what if it rains on 2 of the 3 days that you originally were going to work, gotta make sure that person is still available.

so pretty much...You are looking for a full time person, only 3 days a week. Good luck.

Trevor

gvandora
07-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Well, you could bite the bullet and hire them for 40 hours a week, and just pray like hell you get the work.

LwnmwrMan22
07-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Trevors Lawn Care
so pretty much...You are looking for a full time person, only 3 days a week. Good luck.

Trevor

My point exactly, the reason I work my 80+ hours / week, instead of trying to hire someone for 30 hours.

HOOLIE
07-27-2004, 12:48 AM
Don't worry about hiring someone else yet. Try to take on as much business as you can handle on your own first. Maybe you keep this other job as a sort of security blanket.

But since you do have another job, you might want to consider your future financial needs before quitting it. Its a lot harder to get loans when you are totally self-employed. If you anticipate needing money in the near future this would be the time to go get it. Most banks won't touch you self-employed until you've got at least 2 years under your belt.