PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jackets

Tharrell
07-26-2004, 04:15 PM
I stopped on the way home the other day to chat with an LCO that does a church near me. At the end of the conversation, he told me about getting into several yellow jacket nests. I backed the trailer into my carport, went in and took a shower and drank some gatorade. I went out to disconnect it wearing my boxers and there was a yellow jacket buzzing around the tongue. It was carrying something with some difficulty. It looked like some kind of larvae. Could that have been the queen? Anyway, I doused him good with the long arm spray but I've noticed a lot of them lately. Is there a "season" for yellow jackets other than just summertime? I mean could you "look" for them at a certain time of summer?

geogunn
07-26-2004, 05:09 PM
yeah--yellow jackets are annoying.

but these guys can put a serious hurting on you!

GEO :eek:

HighGrass
07-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Tharrell
I stopped on the way home the other day to chat with an LCO that does a church near me. At the end of the conversation, he told me about getting into several yellow jacket nests. I backed the trailer into my carport, went in and took a shower and drank some gatorade. I went out to disconnect it wearing my boxers and there was a yellow jacket buzzing around the tongue. It was carrying something with some difficulty. It looked like some kind of larvae. Could that have been the queen? Anyway, I doused him good with the long arm spray but I've noticed a lot of them lately. Is there a "season" for yellow jackets other than just summertime? I mean could you "look" for them at a certain time of summer?

That was a tender. He was just trying to save one of the little ones. His job is to defend them to the death. The queen arrives later ina large white limo about the length of you shoe. She's very needy so don't let them into your house, you'll never get rid of them.....

come to think of it, sounds like my mother in law.

imograss
07-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Geo, That looks like what we call Cicada Killers here in Tn. They are not aggressive but can sting and yes it hurts. They have started popping up at come of my clients lawns. They make a big mess resembling mole hills thruoghout the lawn. I mow through swarms of the this time a year. It is time for the Yellow Jackets to unexpectedly pop up here as well.

dlandscaping
07-26-2004, 09:22 PM
I saw one of those giant wasps in my lawn (no nest though) thank god, I was coming back from the neighbors yard who had so many yellow jackets. Everywhere you looked you would see at least 2 or 3. It was my slowest time on that property cz every time grass touched my leg, I'd jump. I guess they arent aggressive unless you run over their nests.

crawdad
07-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
yeah--yellow jackets are annoying.

but these guys can put a serious hurting on you!

GEO :eek:

crawdad
07-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Oops, double posted... but anyhow, I have a good colony of them critters going at a place that was recently taken over by "Joe Scrubbynuts Ten Dollar Lawn Service."
His slogan., I think, is, "I'm cheaper, and it shows!"

Good Luck, Joe!

Crawdad

EastTnLC
07-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by imograss
Geo, That looks like what we call Cicada Killers here in Tn. They are not aggressive but can sting and yes it hurts. They have started popping up at come of my clients lawns. They make a big mess resembling mole hills thruoghout the lawn. I mow through swarms of the this time a year. It is time for the Yellow Jackets to unexpectedly pop up here as well.

Yeah I know what your talking about. My mom got stung by a cicada killer on her ring finger and it swelled up so big my dad had to cut the ring off.

geogunn
07-26-2004, 10:03 PM
crawdad--perhaps the new lawn guy will MEET the new inhabitants??? LOL!

GEO

NNJLandman
07-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Was cleaning gutters on a greenhouse over the weekend, got the hose up there started spraying it all down, one yellow jacket came out, then another before ya knkow it im dancing around in this 3 inch gutter with nothing to hold on to, they went up my shirt, i got stund 3 times, sure enough there was a huge nest under the gutter.

Jeff

crawdad
07-27-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by geogunn
crawdad--perhaps the new lawn guy will MEET the new inhabitants??? LOL!

GEO

Well, now, I hadn't even thought of that. (Ya, Right)
Hey for ten bucks, he can fight bees, too.
Crawdad

HayBay
07-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Here the Starlings (birds) dig for them in the lawns.

I recall Sevin with T&O was the cure.

The damage they create takes 2 forms: They feed on the crowns and roots and sometimes turf can be lifted back as with grub damage. Secondly, they also feed on the crown and shoots and the turf is chewed back to the ground.

airtractrdrivr
07-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING can make me hurt myself faster than a wasp. I dont care if it's a yellowjacket, red wasp, paper wasp, etc... I DONT CARE! I hate em all just the same. It's just not natural for something that small to be that damn mean, and be able to inflict that much pain and suffering on a poor lawn care professional trying to make a living.:cry:

SouthernFried
07-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Ya, those initial pics are of cicada killers. They burrow into the ground...huge freakin' things, scary lookin', and they'll buzz around you to no end. Never been stung by a cicada killer, a lot by yellow jackets tho.

One of my houses gets cicada killers every year, in the exact same location. They must have eggs or sumthin they lay...cuz they always come back exactly where they were the previous year. They're not around that long tho...only good thing. I mow through them, they buzz me, but have never attacked me...knock on wood.

geogunn
07-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by SouthernFried
One of my houses gets cicada killers every year, in the exact same location. They must have eggs or sumthin they lay...cuz they always come back exactly where they were the previous year.

I have them again this year at the same place as last year.

I have always called this thing a "wood hornet". cicada killer may be applicable as well.

and they hurt! I got stung once by one and I thought I was done for the day. I got past it in about 45 minutes though.

as far as the wood hornet and the yellow jacket, the YJ hurts longer I think.

GEO :(

airtractrdrivr
07-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Those are awful small for Cicada Killers, at least they are for the ones in my area. The ones I see around the yards here are generally about the length of my thumb. the yellow Jackets around here are lighter colored than the wasps in those pics, though. But, to me, a wasp is a wasp, regardless of the name, color, size. They are all EVIL! Seems to me there are more Yellow Jackets this year around here. My wife's uncle's house has 4 nests under the car port, one over the front door, and two on the wall over his bedroom window. My mother in law's patio has six Yellow jacket nests and three other wasp nests. I sprayed a Yellow Jacket nest at a client's house a few nights ago that measured 9.5 inches across, and had probably 60 wasps on it. One of the biggest I have seen.

airtractrdrivr
07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Any of you guys ever had to deal with an actual hornet's nest? We have Bald Faced Hornets in Eastern and Southeastern OK, but not around here. I've only seen one real live nest, on a camping trip a few years ago.

rodfather
07-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Nothing hurts more or for longer than a Yellow Jacket sting IMO.

GreenMonster
07-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Nothing hurts more or for longer than a Yellow Jacket sting IMO.

I concur:cry:

SouthernFried
07-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Try getting stung by a scorpion. A hazard down here in South Texas.

imograss
07-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Yep the ol hornets nest in the trees. Their mean as crap, Don't throw rocks at it!.

The Captain
07-27-2004, 04:09 PM
We've all had our run-ins with these little suckers. I got nailed in the ankle by a single yellow jacket two weeks ago. The sting felt like I'd been hit in the ankle bone with a sledge hammer and it's still tender.
What is the best way to kill these things, without killing ourselves or ruining our clients' lawn? If I were at home I'd just wait until about dark, pour some gas down the hole, throw a match in that direction and get the h*** out of there. Obviously, this method has some drawbacks for general use. Anyone have a more civilized (safer, acceptable) method we can use on the job?

Jim

SouthernFried
07-27-2004, 04:13 PM
I keep a can of wasp killer on my rig at all times. I usually end up using it after I been stung tho. I may be hurtin'...but, they gonna die twitchy, horrible deaths.

I keep it on the truck for revenge purposes mostly.

I usta do foreclosue properties, and those things were always full of Yellow Jacket and mud dobber nests. I'd always walk a new property first spraying everyone I saw. Felt like the Terminator.

I'm sure it would work on Cicada killers too.

airtractrdrivr
07-27-2004, 04:14 PM
You know, it is strange. I always here about Yellow Jackets nesting in the ground, but I've never seen a nest in the ground around here. All the nests I have seen are paper nests on houses, trees, in old equipment, logs, etc. What's the deal? Am I calling something a Yellow Jacket that isnt a true Yellow Jacket, or do they nest in different ways? I carry a can of spray on my rig, too. That way, I can run and gun at the same time!:D

SouthernFried
07-27-2004, 04:17 PM
I've never seen a yellow jacket nest "in" the ground. Hornets, bees, and cicada killers, yes.

airtractrdrivr
07-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Damn, it's amazing what you can find out on the internet in a few minutes. I just realized what I have called a "Yellow Jacket" all my life, is in actuality called a Paper Wasp. They are yellow and black, but are longer, and lighter colored, and dont nest in the ground. Just as mean, though. I never really thought there was a difference.

superman
07-27-2004, 04:22 PM
I would like to know the answer to this also. I have never seen a yellow jacket nest at all. I have seen them come out of the ground several times. My first run in with them was last year, one of my properties has a lot of them. I hope they are not there again this year.

Here is something I found.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/yellowjackets.htm

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/yellowjackets.htm#signs

airtractrdrivr
07-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Hmm, reading on, I find that there are 21 species of "paper wasps" in North America. It says the ones I am talking about are commonly referred to as "Yellow Jackets", but are not the same species as the ones that nest in the ground.

jbrink01
07-27-2004, 04:27 PM
I was squirrel hunting in September, probably 15 years ago. Stopped to shoot a squirrel with my scoped .22, leaned up against a tree. Apparently my pant leg had bloused open over their hole. They crawled up my leg, and I got 7 stings in a very sensitive area. It never swelled up that big before or since.....

Also uncovered a nest when cleaning out an old wooden post and beam barn. 12 stings about the head and neck.

Thank god I'm not allergic....

geogunn
07-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by airtractrdrivr
Damn, it's amazing what you can find out on the internet in a few minutes.

yep. what I have been calling a "wood hornet" all my life is actually known as a "cicada killer".

GEO :)

The Captain
07-27-2004, 04:50 PM
The "yellow Jackets" here in the mid-west are yellow and black, about the size of a 22 cal. short round and pack the punch of a 45 mag. They (by my observations) live in the ground and show no outward signs of being there, except a few ocassionaly flying in and out. The entrance to the nest/burrow/tunnel is about the dia. of a quarter and there is usually only one. The vibrations caused by just your footsteps will bring them out, and heaven help you if you should kill one or p*&%# them off. Get ....as far, as quick as you can.

I don't think I've misled you too far with this info. Just be super carefull. Remember how much it hurts to see a grown man cry......especially when it's you!

Jim

crawdad
07-27-2004, 05:03 PM
I went all last year without getting stung. This year, I've gotten two yellowjacket stings, and a few "sweat bees." What we call sweat bees are tiny little buggers, it hardly even hurts. Feels like a little pinch, you reach up (neck is a common place for them to get you) and pinch them back.
Crawdad

jeffhendrix
07-27-2004, 05:34 PM
last year I steped on a yellow jacket nest at the base of a bush I was trimming. Before I realized what was happening they ate me alive. The chased me about 200 feet. I was stung between 30 and 40 times. Most of the stings were on my ankles. I mowed 10 more yards that day.

Lazer_Z
07-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by The Captain
The "yellow Jackets" here in the mid-west are yellow and black, about the size of a 22 cal. short round and pack the punch of a 45 mag. They (by my observations) live in the ground and show no outward signs of being there, except a few occasionally flying in and out. The entrance to the nest/burrow/tunnel is about the dia. of a quarter and there is usually only one. The vibrations caused by just your footsteps will bring them out, and heaven help you if you should kill one or p*&%# them off. Get ....as far, as quick as you can.

I don't think I've misled you too far with this info. Just be super careful. Remember how much it hurts to see a grown man cry......especially when it's you!

Jim

Well i did'nt cry but a few choice words came out when i was trimming near a nest. And i even tried to kill them but it just pissed them off even more. Got stung once on the arm dropped the trimmer witch was still running and hauled @ss. They were going ape s%*t around the top of the nest. I swear there had to be at least 100+ just going full tilt nuts.

jbell113
07-27-2004, 06:21 PM
In georgia I have never seen a cicada killer till this year. This one property is covered in them as of 2 weeks ago. In the corner under a deck with lattice is where they are and I cant even get near it with out them flying all around me. I told the owner I cant cut that area untill he got rid of them and he said he would take care of it. I was told that they are not aggressive towards people but they are aggressive towards each other which does make sense cuz they are always chasing one another.

txlawnking
07-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Someone asked what to kill the little suckers with... Brake clean kicks their butts faster than anything I've ever seen.. the good stuff will actually make them sizzle.. Hit em' with the Kleen,.. and they're done before they hit the dirt. Period.

Tharrell
07-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Soooooo, anyone here trim bushes? ha ha ha I have an mpeg of hornets coming and going from this nest.

lqmustang
07-27-2004, 07:13 PM
That looks to be about the size of hornet nest I ticked off last year. Was Trimming a long, 5ft or so tall hedge, in a good rythm with the trimmer, minding my own business. Feel a sharp pain in my leg and swat at it, get it again in the other leg. Next thing I know I'm surrounded with hornets. Dropped the trimmer and ran like a, well, you know what. Ended up with about 5 stings. The nest was about the size of a soccer ball, and was barely visible from outside the hedge. Finished trimming a couple days later after the homeowner had the nest exterminated.

imograss
07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
You can also put sevin dust in and around the yellow jacket nest and they will track it in and kill the entire hive. Depending on my location a little mixed gass and a match works good to.

weedwoop
07-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Tharrell
Soooooo, anyone here trim bushes? ha ha ha I have an mpeg of hornets coming and going from this nest.

If one of these is in a safe place, a 12 ga. and #8 birdshot from about 30 ft. will pretty much vaperize it. Get it just before dark when they are all inside or some scout will get you. I've blasted a few and it felt great, like getting even.

HayBay
07-27-2004, 09:16 PM
The best mechanical control believe it or not is the lawnmower. I posted a remedy on the first page or 2 of this thread. Sevin Turf and Ornamental. Get them early in the morning, when they hear you coming they come up out of the ground usually into the mower deck and blades, you wont even know it.

dlandscaping
07-27-2004, 09:43 PM
yea, but you have to make sure you mulch them, otherwise theyll stay alive in the bag or come out the discharge. Some of them will get out from under the lawnmower no matter what. Gas and a match, or just straight gas down the hole, and cover it. They die and you dont get stung, do it at dusk.

crawdad
07-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Brake kleen, gas, shotgun...Ya know, hornet spray works OK, too.
Crawdad
But, then, I do have some #8 shot..."hornet loads" cool, I call #4's "cat loads"